'43 Willys Jeep

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Ez8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: '43 Willys Jeep

Post by Ez8 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:34 pm

Hey Beers! Good looking day of delivery date you've got there.

I'll take a look under the block and see if I can find a date.

In the meantime.... behold! The electrolysis machine!

I built this out of a blue 55-gallon drum and some theory I found on the internet. It's surprising how well this works.

So first, the basic idea for those of you not in the know:
By passing electric current through an ionic solution (in this case, baking soda and water) you can lift rust, paint, debris from any ferrous material.
This is a non-invasive alternative to sandblasting or wire brushing. In my case I've been doing my combat rims this way.

Here's a photo of a de-rusted combat rim and one of its still filthy brethren.

The final result?
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=209632

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Thu May 09, 2013 6:15 pm

Excellent!

Ez8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ez8 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:48 pm

A busy weekend. I was able to get the tub off the frame and have a look at what was under there.
A few surprises both good and bad, but nothing insurmountable, I believe.

A gravel driveway is not conducive to using a hydraulic lift, so I summoned all my he-man powers and tipped the tub off the back. It was surprisingly gentle with no damage.

A bend in the frame on the passenger side. I'm not sure what the remedy is: Can a body shop bend this out or will I need to get a replacement side frame rail?

This is indicative of the overall frame condition; not really a lot of severe rust, thankfully. Just peeling paint.

There are two rusty holes like this. One here and one on the opposite side.

The transmission and transfer case felt wobbly. Turns out they are "free floating" because the nuts are all pretty loose and there is a crack in one of the mounts.

Here is the tag I found on the transmission: any idea what these numbers mean?

My steering set up. This looks like CJ2A, is this correct?

The PO must have wanted to make sure this jeep had good times on the circuit because he installed these weight reducing fiberglass hat channels. They peeled off the tub when I took it off leaving them, and the bolts that were securing them to the body, on the ground.

Beers had asked about the date stamped on the bottom of my block: 1543 (1-5-43??) For a DOD of 2-25-43 it seems about right. Did Willys use FIFO?

Think that about covers it for now. I'll keep plugging away at it. My goal right now is to keep stripping the frame down and get that fixed first. We'll see what comes along.
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43

The Raven
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by The Raven » Wed May 22, 2013 2:57 pm

For the frame....I would take a BAH and straighten it. A ball peen would do the trick nicely. No sense going and putting in something else. It does not appear that the frame is tweaked....just dented. Might want to use some heat to soften the metal a bit. Others may suggest something more drastic.

As always keep it real with forum advice....people love to spend others money. I learned this the hard way with a motorcycle resto.
The Law of Unintended Consequences has come into play. All the best..-A

Beers
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Beers » Wed May 22, 2013 8:22 pm

Hey Ez8,

That engine block stamp looks like it might be 2 15 43. That could be just right for your DOD, about 10 days prior, making it a very likely original engine. Any of the dating experts here care to opine?

That steering setup (bell crank) is bolted to the axle, you're looking at a WW2 setup, not CJ. I'm pretty sure all the CJ bell cranks were bolted to a bracket attached to the crossmember (unless there was some early CJ-2A exception).

Thanks for posting the pics, you're tearing right into it!

Paul
1943 MB 213301 DOD 2-22-43

Ez8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ez8 » Mon May 27, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks Beers! I see the "2" now in "2-15-43." That makes a lot more sense now. I would have missed it.

Does anyone have any info on the transmission tag numbers above?
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43

Ez8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ez8 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:49 pm

I've had a few more spare weekends to get back into the business of dismantling the jeep. I'm quite pleased, for the most part.

I pulled the transmission and transfer case and found that the transmission mount on the transmission cross member was loose. That's a simple fix and should stop the rocking of the transmission when I get it put back together. The transmission was, as I had hoped, a T-84.

Then began the process of stripping the frame down. That Harbor Freight Engine Hoist was such a good buy. I think I paid $100 for it and it's already paid for itself in saving me time. I recommend it. Remember your 20% off coupon, though.

I've also been mapping out my brake lines via this elaborate (and incomplete) diagram. I've seen enough other people on here asking about brake line routing that I'm noting them on my drawing and labeling each one as it comes off the frame. Hopefully the rebuild will allow me to use some of the same pipes, or at least the same shapes.

One of the things that I was prepared for, but still confounded me was the right hand loosen lug nuts. Why? Who would design such a thing?

Anyway, the MB is in as many pieces as you can get a jeep into. I've officially entered Phase II: Refurbishing.

I'm very pleased with the amount of original parts that are on this thing and I think I got real lucky with this purchase, especially for what I paid for it.
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43

Beers
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Beers » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:06 pm

Looking good ez8! My Feb '43 trans has the exact same casting marks. I have a small thin horizontal "plate" cast right below the 2 and the mfgr's mark; it reads "1-25" which I interpret as the casting date. Anything there on yours below the grease?

Did you find a date code stamped into the top? My '43 has the code 10 days before the DOD.
image.jpg
image.jpg (85.16 KiB) Viewed 5789 times

Ez8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ez8 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:38 am

Long time no update. Movement has been made.

The frame has been taken down to its bare steel. Originally I had planned to do this over my vacation with my sandblaster, but it was too hot and humid in Midwestern July so I remembered my uncle's words of advice on the best way to sandblast something: "Pay someone else to do it." It is now out being repaired by a fellow Indiana Gee member.

Here's the bend in the frame:

Most of the little parts are primed and awaiting a painting day.

In other news, I took the rear axle apart and back together on a Saturday. Everything looks real good inside so I've decided not to replace anything within the differential.

Pictures:
As can be seen here, the rear diff is stamped with what appears to be "1 44." The 1 is oriented 180degrees opposite of the 44. Jan 44 diff?

Can someone tell me where this axle shaft was made? :?

The current set up has an 11" brake upgrade. If I can, I want to get 9" original brakes on there. I've been told this is a popular upgrade for the G503, but may have come from a CJ-5 or some other 1960's era Jeep. In any event, the brakes are complete and worked well before I tore the MB down. I'll be looking to sell this out into the world to fund 9" brakes.

Ready for OD

That's all for now. Keep on keepin' on.
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43

Beers
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Beers » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:50 am

Ez8 wrote:
Pictures:
As can be seen here, the rear diff is stamped with what appears to be "1 44." The 1 is oriented 180degrees opposite of the 44. Jan 44 diff?
Hey EZ8,

Could that be 1 10 44 or even 11 10 44? Hard to tell from the online photo, but it almost looks like there are more numbers there (the axle stampings are faint, but I think Willys usually stamped the month/day/year).

Thanks for posting the update, looking forward to seeing more!

I've been working on the back of my tub, tool box areas and such - I think Pvt. Bubba's motorpool only had the old fashioned 1/8" flux core wire to work with on my '43 - I'll have to upload some photos. As you say - Keep on keepin' on!

Paul

Ez8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ez8 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:29 am

Beers-

I really couldn't make out what the numbers were supposed to be. The "44" portion is flipped from the front number. 1 <something> 44

The photo is pretty much spot on with what I can see with my Mark I Eyeball.
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43

Ez8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ez8 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:35 pm

Update time.

For the two or three of you that are still reading this: Thank you for your courage.

Back in late August I had posted a thread about my mangled frame:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=224622

A fellow gee member reached out and was able to help me out in a big way by taking on the frame straightening and doing some welding and metal work for me. I cannot stress enough how pleased I am with his work and his general, friendly demeanor.

As you can see, the bend is completely gone and new frame horns have been installed along with gussets and a bumper.

I used Sherwin William Kem Bond Red Oxide as the direct to metal primer. Applied with an airless spray gun.

Next was a layer of alkyd resin red oxide after a light sanding. As the OD wears down through rocks and wear, I wanted the red oxide to wear through.

I got trapped.
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43

Fat Albert
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Fat Albert » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Looks good EZ8! Keep the momentum going while you got it! Its hard to get the steam built back up once you stop for awhile! I let my 43 MB sit for a year... I just keep thinking about where I'd be with it now if I'd kept going then.
Dutch
My New Midlife Crisis
43 Willys MB217048
DoD March 8, 1943
Project Thread: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=202295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ez8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ez8 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:46 pm

It's finally OD.

Next step is to start putting it all back together. Shouldn't be a problem: I gave Ron a bunch of money and parts appeared on my door step.
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:09 pm

FUnny comment EZ! I also had that same experience, I sent Ron a lot of money anbd suddenly parts appeared with me too!

Great progress on your frame. Looking forward to seeing more progress. You are doing a great job.

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”