Ford GPW #51198

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
DutchGPW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Ford GPW #51198

Post by DutchGPW » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:46 am

Hello to all G-members,

My name is Gideon, and I live in Leidschendam near The Hague in The Netherlands. I'm a new member and I just bought my first Jeep in England and Picked it up yesterday. I'm really excited, i have made a long time wish come true...

It's an GPW with D.O.D 27-7-1942. The engine is what i believe a Willys CJ2 one. The Jeep is not as complete as you want it to be, its even missing almost every original nut.

I wanna do a complete restoration myself, although i don't have any experiance with it. But i'm confident that with the help of this beautifull Forum i can achieve a lot!

I'm curious to any comments on my jeep. Hereby some photo's. Maybe someone can inform me about some history facts. For Tom i've added also the framenumber and dateplate.
Some questions:
- Do i have original wheels, i believe not.
- Inside the fender there is a white number, what is it?
- Can the steeringwheel be repaired, i guess its beyond repair..
- is the transmission a T84? I believe it is...

With kind regards Gideon van der Giessen.

karl oliver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by karl oliver » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:28 am

Welcome to the G...DutchGPW!

Looks like you have a wonderful start!! The wheels are incorrect, but you can always be on the hunt for the correct type as you are quite some ways off from needing them at this point. You certainly have a late WO head, but could very easily have been replaced on the original GPW engine block, so check carefully on right side of block near oil fill tube. That steering wheel can be repaired, but that's a tricky operation, and may be best left for someone familiar with that type of work. You may could handle that yourself though. You have the correct transmission, and as for the white letters in the fender well.....well, I have no idea :?

Enjoy your journey and do not throw anything you take off away!

What you may think is not original to your 1/4 ton.... just may be!!
"Life is tough....it's even tougher if you're stupid" -John Wayne

45 Willys MB SN 436399 DOD 19Apr45
Columbia Westfield MG 43592
Columbia Westfield MG 47928
Lovely wife and two beautiful daughters
Bad Breath and a short.....uh memory!

karl oliver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by karl oliver » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:31 am

Oh! ....I forgot to mention....I love those pin stripes!, and would probably leave those :lol: ..Karl

Jon S
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Jon S » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:03 am

Hi Gideon,

The lettering is TP 35. Tire pressure stencil. Good luck with your project!! Many people have started with much less. You are in a region where there are many jeep enthusiasts. Welcome to the exciting world of the WW2 jeep!! You are saving a piece of history!! Try not to get too discouraged, just keep at it a little bit at a time--- don't overwhelm yourself. Try to be as accurate as possible on the restoration, you will be happier with the end result... Jon S.
Jon S.
MB213689 2-22-43 20307087
MB198901 12-29-42 20250940
REO US6 4-17-45 R218261
GPW 1533 2-27-42

hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General
Post by hell-fire » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:48 pm

The Jeep looks good & you have all the basics to get it back together, get a parts manual & you can start to figure out what you need.

There are many guys from your country who are members here, who I am sure be able to help with advice as needed, you never know, one may live close by.

Good luck with the Jeep.
John
Australia
Member VMVC #192
1942 Willys MB-BRT 135673 D.O.D. 4-16-42 Now 97% finished

gtbpappy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by gtbpappy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:34 pm

looks like a great find! this is the right place for info and parts!!! is there more ww2 jeeps here in the us, or left overseas?
1944 Dodge WC56
" ITS EASIER TO SEEK FORGIVENESS THEN IT IS TO ASK PERMISSION"----JUST GO BUY IT!!!!”

MATT
G-Captain
G-Captain

jeep

Post by MATT » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:55 pm

Hello Gideon,

It is a small world. I found your jeep in a field here in Northern California three years ago. I just sold it to the guys (John and Tim) in the UK you bought it from. Here is what I know:

*Wheels are not original. I just put them on to roll the jeep around on. The originals were flat from sitting for years.

*The markings in the wheel well are for tire pressure. If I remember it said TP 35

*The engine is not original to the jeep. It did not have one when I dragged it out of the field. The gearbox is a correct T-84 and you have a GPW transfer case.

I think I have lots of photos of the jeep on my old computer. I will try to retrieve them for you. Good luck with the jeep.

Gtbpappy, it is just my opinion but I would have to say there is way more jeeps here than overseas. I am 31 years old and I have owned over 65 WWII jeeps. When I talk to people overseas they can’t believe you can still find them in your local newspaper classified adds and in farmers fields…… but it is true.

Take care,

Matt
1941 GP 9801
1941 BRC 2622
1941 MB 103761

DutchGPW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by DutchGPW » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi All, Thanks for the nice replies.
karl oliver wrote:Oh! ....I forgot to mention....I love those pin stripes!, and would probably leave those :lol: ..Karl
Sorry Karl, they'll have to go :wink:
That steering wheel can be repaired, but that's a tricky operation, and may be best left for someone familiar with that type of work.
BTW. The steeringwheel is not steel, its a kind of plastick...

MATT wrote:It is a small world.
Yes it seems to be, great!! I bought the Jeep from Tim.
I think I have lots of photos of the jeep on my old computer. I will try to retrieve them for you.
That would be great, Thank you in advance! Any more info of the history or what's seems to be original and what not is always welcome...

I will try and keep you all informed of my progress. But i will take my time to learn and to do it right. My objective is to safe a piece of history!

Greets Gideon

karl oliver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by karl oliver » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:09 am

Gideon, the plastic wheel is actually formed around a steel frame. I read a post here sometimes back showing a photo documentation of repairing a cracked sheller wheel. I have one on an unrestored MB, that I'll be happy to send you if you want. The plastic can be re melted on a repairable wheel. You may could find one on your side of the ocean though. Cost to you if you're ever interested is whatever the shipping charges are.

Karl

DutchGPW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by DutchGPW » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:32 am

Hi I've shot some picture of the engine itself maybe someone can tell me if its a MB one with a cj2 head

@Karl, i'll send you a pm.

Greets Gideon

karl oliver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by karl oliver » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:42 pm

Gideon, your engine has had an alternator added, and the engine serial # will be located on the block behind the alternator. Matt is probably very familiar with your 1/4 ton as he sent it over to your country. Maybe you could pm him with these questions, and he could help you out with more info.

lowbonnet
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by lowbonnet » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:28 pm

Hello fellow Dutchman. Welkom to G503.com and congratulations with your 42 GPW (is it scripted?). If you need a black sheller steering wheel I might know one for 75 Euro (original). A friend of mine sells them. They are also reproduced, but if I were you I would go for the real deal. Let me know if you want the steering wheel. 'Your GPW was originally equiped (from the factory) with a green Sheller, but maybe in the future you can swap the black one for a green one. That means: if you go for a factory restoration (green) or a field modification (any color, also spoked wheel). I have restored my 42 GPW in 2001/2002/2003 so I know many dealers. I basically started with the same jeep as you have, missing lots of parts.
I don't think your engine is wartime. The casting numbers for WWII jeeps are different, starting with 638xxx (for Willys) or just GPW (for Ford). But, if it runs don't worry and use it until you find a replacement block (if that's what you want). Your engine has an early dipstick (it might be f marked), that's a start :D

If you have any questions, just let me know. I do not live close to The Hague, I live in Friesland. Succes!
Peter
June 1942 Ford GPW (script)
Transportation Equipment Co. T1, 1/4 ton trailer

Bob at Warsaw
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Bob at Warsaw » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:35 am

Welcome to the G503 Gideon, keep all
of us updated with pictures as you repair
your GPW
Take care
Bob

MVCC or MVPA # 9836

DutchGPW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by DutchGPW » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:49 pm

Thanks all.

The Ford has a non script tub, but i understand it's build just in the period this was changed, so this should be ok. Couldn't find a F mark on the the dipstick.

Next weekend i will try to find find the serial#. I have had a look tonight and could find a few more numbers but not a serialnumber (see pictures).

I know this will be a absolute newbee question, but i guess the alternator is the black big thing where i marked it with a red cross? The guy who sold me the jeep said it is a mb engine because of the plate it has (red arrow) But i guess i have let me been foolled?

SD
I think it says TB 6 26 6 (or 8 )

Greets Gideon

DutchGPW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by DutchGPW » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:17 pm

Found this posting so its for sure postwar
http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... j2+casting

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”