1943 Ford GPW Build from Rescued 1943 Parts

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
JAB
G-General
G-General

Re: 1943 Ford GPW Build from Rescued 1943 Parts

Post by JAB » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:46 am

Interesting. Do you know the history behind your engines? You may have lucked out and be the recipient of someone else’s hard work who then gave up after other problems surfaced.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:58 am

JAB wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:46 am
Interesting. Do you know the history behind your engines? You may have lucked out and be the recipient of someone else’s hard work who then gave up after other problems surfaced.
Hello Jeff,

Yes I do, somewhat.
A G member had bought a numbers matching 1943 GPW, that was from a museum.
He was told that the engine had been rebuilt, and it definitely has been properly rebuilt.

He got it, and worked on getting it running, but in ran a little rough.
He said there was water in the oil, and decided instead of digging into this issue, bought another rebuilt engine from Ozzy G that he had posted for sale.
So he wanted to put the rebuilt new engine in the jeep, as well as a rebuilt transmission and transfer case he already had.

This "old engine" that I have, was posted here for sale, along with its transmission and transfer case that was also swapped out, so I was very lucky to see it and buy the package, understanding that there was a water in the oil issue.
I had read of similar issues here on the G about water leaks from inside the distributor tunnel, causing water in the oil, and solutions to repair it.
Hopefully that is the issue, as the copper insert will work great, but I am thinking the terrible shape head gasket likely had a lot to do with it as well.
We shall find out :D :D .
I hope that is the issue and it can be repaired !!
I needed a 43 engine for this project, or it was getting a GPA engine if I couldn't find one, and it showed up, and I am very happy !

The engine for the 1945 Willys MB project is currently in a 45 MB that was absolutely violated by a hack, that cut so much away for the body tub,
to repair minor rust, that the owner was so upset with, he listed it for sale locally.
( To give you an idea of the "rust repair" needed on that poor jeep, the original Olaco gas tank was still in it, and had no rust ! )
( You would not believe how violated that body tub was after being left at a repair place, never seen anything like that it was criminal )

He had already spent a small fortune rebuilding the engine, transmission, etc, and put 2500 miles on it around the farm in Michigan, before bringing it to Florida.
That engine will be a perfect match for the 45 MB, and the rest of the power plant.

So that works out great, getting 2 rebuilt engines for a great deal, and allows these 2 jeeps to leap frog towards running again, with out much additional work on the engines.

Best Regards,
Ray

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:26 am

Mine (GPA motor) was on a burn heap in norhtern Minnesota. It's encased in mud and I have no idea what the condition is (yet, it's time is rapidly apoproaching!).

Back in July of 1989 I bought a '45 GPW from a guy in Northern Minnesota and at the last minute he said, "Hey, I've got some extra stuff you can have" So we packed as much body tubs and hard parts as I could fit in and on my '78 Wagoneer and flat-towed GPW. I think the engine was in the back seat area of the GPW for the trip home. After resurecting that GPW I had fun with it until selling it to make room for another project in '99 to a guy who owned a body shop in Iowa. He bougth it for his nephew, to help instill an appreciation of the these things and the soldiers they served with.
I've never seen or heard about it since, which is sad because it had the original USA registration numbers. The only database I can find it in is here on the Gee where I entered it. Hopefully it still exists, stored indoors. It had a GPW engine (original? don't know, never checked) but a neatly installed T-90 and CJ transfer case with the lower low-range and external drum parking brake. It was 12 volts too. And I installed an M38 Arctic Cab on it to free up some shop space. Definately not a 100% GPW but easily put back to stock if a person was so inclined.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:14 am

JAB wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:26 am
Mine (GPA motor) was on a burn heap in norhtern Minnesota. It's encased in mud and I have no idea what the condition is (yet, it's time is rapidly apoproaching!).

Back in July of 1989 I bought a '45 GPW from a guy in Northern Minnesota and at the last minute he said, "Hey, I've got some extra stuff you can have" So we packed as much body tubs and hard parts as I could fit in and on my '78 Wagoneer and flat-towed GPW. I think the engine was in the back seat area of the GPW for the trip home. After resurecting that GPW I had fun with it until selling it to make room for another project in '99 to a guy who owned a body shop in Iowa. He bougth it for his nephew, to help instill an appreciation of the these things and the soldiers they served with.
I've never seen or heard about it since, which is sad because it had the original USA registration numbers. The only database I can find it in is here on the Gee where I entered it. Hopefully it still exists, stored indoors. It had a GPW engine (original? don't know, never checked) but a neatly installed T-90 and CJ transfer case with the lower low-range and external drum parking brake. It was 12 volts too. And I installed an M38 Arctic Cab on it to free up some shop space. Definately not a 100% GPW but easily put back to stock if a person was so inclined.
Hi Jeff,

That is a great picture and haul with another great Jeep vehicle !!
I remember those used to be everywhere, and very popular.
I always liked them, and I am sure many are being restored these days, if the salt up north didn't get them.

We will be looking forward to your GPA burn heap engine restoration, that is an awesome save !!
It is hard to believe that your Wagoneer was only 11 years old at the time , time sure does fly .
I hope that GPW is doing well in Iowa still !!

The rough but complete GPW with the GPA engine that I found way, way, in the back of a local junkyard along the fence line.

I went back to the office and asked the guy how much he wanted for it, and he said " well I have to $300 for it"
and I said that sounds great !
It has combat rims and original gas tank and windshield, but the body floors and side are almost gone from rust.
But it has its rusted data plates too, and the blue USA numbers.
It will be restored eventually, but it was a happy save !!

Jeeping is a lifestyle and a state of mind , we always think positive and appreciate them, and everyone else that enjoys them, and the new memories that can be made !

Best Regards,
Ray

conrod6
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by conrod6 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:27 am

Hey Ray - have I got it right that the original numbers matching GPW is no longer so because you now have the engine from it and the owner has fitted something else ?

Barrie
GPW 101005 DOD 3-2-43 20207773 (actual) Louisville

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:58 am

conrod6 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:27 am
Hey Ray - have I got it right that the original numbers matching GPW is no longer so because you now have the engine from it and the owner has fitted something else ?

Barrie

Hello Barrie,
Yes that is correct,
the jeep exists, and looks pretty nice, but is no longer matching numbers, it will have a new rebuilt motor added in to replace this one with the water leak.

I am happy to have gotten this engine for my 43 GPW, and with a little work, she will be running again .

PS- The new front number 1 springs from Marianne arrived today, with a few more parts from them.
Thanks again for the heads up about the springs being back in stock, now I have enough to do the next 3 jeeps that need some spring work done :D :D

Best Regards,
Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:11 pm

Hello,

I have placed another large order with Ron for his excellent parts !!
Also, keep in mind some items mat be out of stock on the website, but he usually has them .

Ok,

Today I have been taking things apart and looking at the engine, it looks all good !!
Resized_20221201_090411.jpeg
Resized_20221201_090711.jpeg
I removed the old water pump, to be replaced by a new F marked JMP pump .
Resized_20221201_113139.jpeg
Resized_20221201_115021.jpeg

The next item removed was the timing change cover.
I think this was swapped out before I got the engine , as the crumbling cork gasket and silicone was attached to the cover, and a blue modern gasket was attached to the backing plate.

SURPRISE !!!!
Resized_20221201_114515.jpeg
Much to my surprise, 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the big timing chain sprocket on, were missing !!!
Why would they be missing ??
Anyhow I will have to locate new ones, as Ron doesn't have any, but he did have a set of new locking tabs.
Looks like the oil slinger and the camshaft plunger is missing as well.

The timing chain and gears look perfect.

Resized_20221201_113902.jpeg
Resized_20221201_124558.jpeg
Resized_20221201_124633.jpeg
Resized_20221201_141050.jpeg
Resized_20221201_131042(1).jpeg
Is this a date code on the sprocket and the camshaft sprocket ?

It looks like "The Hawk" did the machine work, and a nice job he did
😀 !!

Next I took off the oil pan, which does has some edge damage, that I think I can repair.

Now, with the pan off, it was time to look at the situation in there.

Well, it all looks outstanding and all the caps are F marked and pistons look spanking new.

No crud, sludge, etc was in there.

I did spot a little green antifreeze.

Overall I am very pleased with the engine, and it should work real nice once the copper tube, new bolts, new gaskets, and head studs and bolts are replaced.

The rear main seal will be replaced as well, as the vertical rubber dowels are hardened at the end, so will be good to replace as a routine overhaul, nicely, I didn't see any leak issues of oil anywhere on the engine so that is a good thing .

Best Regards,
Ray
Last edited by 70th Division on Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:15 pm

Hello,

Having taken off the oil pan,
here are how things look :
Resized_20221201_121816.jpeg
Resized_20221201_121812.jpeg
Here can be seen the rolled up edge of the oil pan, I bent it straight but it cracked.
I think I can weld it up, and save the pan, it doesn't effect the sealing surface.
Resized_20221201_124552.jpeg
The inside of the engine was super clean, with the only sludge anywhere on the bottom of the oil float.
Other that that, it looks spotless !!
Resized_20221201_124606.jpeg
Resized_20221201_124558.jpeg

All the bearing caps are F script, and correct.
Resized_20221201_124642.jpeg
Look at how clean the pistons look, all brand new, thanks Hawk :D !
Resized_20221201_124646.jpeg
Resized_20221201_125232.jpeg
Just to check the Hawk's work I will retorque the bolts at the correct setting, to see if they were set right, but I am sure they were.
Resized_20221201_125218.jpeg
Resized_20221201_124546.jpeg
Here we can see a little trace of fresh antifreeze, hopefully entering through the trashed out head gasket.

Best Regards,
Ray
Last edited by 70th Division on Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:35 pm

70th Division wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:58 am
conrod6 wrote:

Barrie

Hello Barrie,
Yes that is correct,
the jeep exists, and looks pretty nice, but is no longer matching numbers, it will have a new rebuilt motor added in to replace this one with the water leak.

I am happy to have gotten this engine for my 43 GPW, and with a little work, she will be running again .

PS- The new front number 1 springs from Marianne arrived today, with a few more parts from them.
Thanks again for the heads up about the springs being back in stock, now I have enough to do the next 3 jeeps that need some spring work done :D :D

Best Regards,
Ray
That, along with the USA registration numbers are the Holy Grail of jeepdom. Does the engine still exist and able to be repaired and re-installed in its home bay?
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:48 pm

JAB wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:35 pm
70th Division wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:58 am
conrod6 wrote:

Barrie

Hello Barrie,
Yes that is correct,

Best Regards,
Ray
That, along with the USA registration numbers are the Holy Grail of jeepdom. Does the engine still exist and able to be repaired and re-installed in its home bay?
Hello Jeff,

I now have the engine from that matching numbers jeep.
The former owner removed it from the matching numbers GPW, as it had water in the oil issues,
and he wanted a better engine, and wasn't concerned with the matching number status of the jeep.
We all certainly would desire and keep a matching numbers GPW !!

I did drive halfway across Maine some years back to pick up a free GPW frame with matching engine, with 1 axle attached, just to save it.
It was listed here on the G. But I was in NH picking up my other jeep frame, and Brit jeep from NY, so was in the area so to speak :D
It was remote, and a long drive, but its the only matching number GPW I have, and it was free, but the trans and transfer was sold off, as well as the head, but I got that engine and matching frame, and I also picked up a nice rust free 1945 ACM 2 GPW body on an Indiana road trip from here !!!

So that jeep may be yet another project :D :D

Best Regards,
Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:46 pm

Hello,

Another item to repair is the bushing hole to mount the generator on the engine mounting bracket.
Resized_20221201_131509.jpeg
It is worn through a lot, so I will weld it up, and file it down into a perfect circle.

That way the rubber bushing will fit in nice to hold the new generator in place with a new bolt.
Resized_20221202_174659.jpeg
Resized_20221202_165845.jpeg
I welded it up and filed the hole into a circle.
It has come out very nice .
Next I will blast and restore the mounting plate to get it ready to be reinstalled .

Also, I placed an order with JMP, for a few items that Ron is sold out of, that way I can keep moving forward.

Looking forward to more parts from Ron and England arriving, I think I have almost all the parts I need to get the job completed, until I find I need more parts, which seems to always be the case :D :D !

Best Regards,
Ray
Last edited by 70th Division on Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:16 am

Hello,

I got the backing plate off, to do the welding repairs on that bushing where a rubber grommet goes to mount the generator.

Resized_20221202_121751.jpeg
Does anyone know the size bolts of the 3 bolts that are missing from around the camshaft :shock: :shock: ??
I am assuming they would help attach the mounting plate to the block ?
Resized_20221202_122550.jpeg
Resized_20221202_122604.jpeg
I did find a nice F mark on the mounting plate.
Resized_20221202_122839.jpeg
An old gasket behind the plate pictured.
The mounting plate also had a modern type gasket stuck to the back of it, so it appears 2 gaskets were used at one point by the person "serviced"
the jeep.
Sort of like the silicone and crumbly cork gasket, and then orange RTV sealant and the crumbly cork gasket :shock: :shock: .

Best Regards,
Ray
Last edited by 70th Division on Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:33 pm

-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:25 pm

JAB wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:33 pm
Check this: http://legacy.1942mb.com/b-41-1-G503_WW ... _list.aspx
Thanks Jeff,

That is some good bolt info !

I don't see the particular bolts that I am looking for listed there.
Unless I am missing it, but this would be the mounting plate to the block.

Best Regards,
Ray

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:20 am

I’m pretty sure that all those holes on the front of the block are tapped for 3/8-16 so you should only need to determine the length. I have a timing gear (CJ2A) version of the L-134 disassembled on the bench that I could look at for you: assuming that the bolts are the same.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”