42 GPW Script 26708 Restoration

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: 42 GPW Script 26708 Restoration

Post by 70th Division » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:09 pm

Hello Todd,

Great next step !!
The body does look pretty good overall.

On the front floor hat channels, I would say you can repair them in position.
They look pretty good.
You can cut back the rusted flat area on the main channel, and weld in a patch plate. Grind it back, and it will look perfect.

The rear floor panel, that can be patched , or replaced.
If you replace the replace floor, get one made by
Midwest Military, Ron should carry them, and also get a spot welder to attach it right back in the way it should be. A spot welder will make short, clean, and an easy installation !!
Harbor freight sells them.
A must have tool !!

Keep us posted !

Best Regards,
Ray

Doug L.
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Doug L. » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:31 pm

Looks fantastic! I agree. It looks pretty darn good overall. So exciting to be tackling body now!

Best,
Douglas

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

March 5, 1942 VEP GPW. body and chassis -3432 Engine -3413

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:24 am

Thanks Sean, Ray and Douglas!

Been a while since my last update, but as I have been running out of space to work on the body, I decided to tackle some of the more smaller items such as the grill and fenders. One of my challenges is to find a good "balance" with my motorpool jeep restoration as I want my jeep to look in good condition (more importantly, serve as a dependable and reliable driver) and do not want it to appear as though it just was delivered from the factory. Upon restoring my grill, I hadn't noticed minor dings/dents under the marker lights. :shock: But now that it is finished, I still struggle if it will serve as "character" or if it should be repaired. :lol: :roll:

Well, I guess it is best to go through this now and before I start work on the body.... I had also found that having an adjustable basketball net serves a great purpose to ensure you get good spray coverage in all areas! :D
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
4a.jpg
5a.jpg
6a.jpg
7a.jpg

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:36 am

Upon finishing the headlamp assembly, I had discovered that there is a gap between the headlamp and the bucket assembly. I had purchased new JMP headlamps through Ron. I believe my buckets are original to the jeep, but curious if this is "typical" of the replacement bulbs?

I'm thinking that I will need to create a fire-proof gasket to help seal and eliminate the bulb from moving within the lamp assembly. Does anyone have any ideas?

I installed the radiator seals and reinstalled the bumper and she is actually looking like a jeep again. :D Overall I am pleased, and it looks like I may actually finish my jeep restoration by Spring 2022. :P
Attachments
8.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
15a.jpg
15b.jpg
15c.jpg
16.jpg

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:36 am

Getting closer....
Attachments
17.jpg

IvorGPW
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by IvorGPW » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:12 pm

Nice progress! It’s coming out fantastic
Tate Christensen
1944 Ford GPW #234613 USMC Radio jeep
1943 Willys MB #263100
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
1941 Ford GP #9687
1941 Willys MB #100161

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:31 am

Todd, I'm always more and more impressed with every one of your updates. You're doing a fantastic job, so much so that you're making me want to tear my GPW apart to restore it again! And my headlights don't move in their buckets, so not sure why yours are slightly loose? I believe I purchased mine from AJP, though, so there is the possibility they are a slightly different size. Anyway, you're statement about finishing by Spring 2022 means that I'll get to see this jeep in Reading next year, right? :wink:
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:39 pm

Thanks Tate and Sean!
twinflyer17 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:31 am
Todd, I'm always more and more impressed with every one of your updates. You're doing a fantastic job, so much so that you're making me want to tear my GPW apart to restore it again! And my headlights don't move in their buckets, so not sure why yours are slightly loose? I believe I purchased mine from AJP, though, so there is the possibility they are a slightly different size. Anyway, you're statement about finishing by Spring 2022 means that I'll get to see this jeep in Reading next year, right? :wink:
IvorGPW wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:12 pm
Nice progress! It’s coming out fantastic
Been awhile, but I have been busy. My goal is to complete my restoration by next Spring and hopefully, the remaining parts that I need, will be in-stock before then. I'm saving the jeep body for the winter as it will be a great project once the snow falls in WNY! So, decided to tackle the windshield & cowl. The cowl had a fair amount of oil-canning that needed to be repaired, along with a few holes discovered after sandblasing. :o :shock:

Decided to tackle the glass install myself and unfortunately it didn't end well. :x After one of the glass panes had cracked, I decided to have the glass company install the glass as others on the G had suggested. Turns out, the glass company had the same difficulty I did as they stated that they too broke the glass during the install. :shock:

I had purchased the glass etching stencil kit last year and it turned out to be good timing, as I heard that others are having difficulty finding an available kit. But, I have also read that Ron might offer a kit. Thought it would be fitting for my May 42' jeep to have the E (May) DB (42) format. I think it makes for a great finish! :D
Attachments
Photo 1.jpg
Photo 2c.jpg
Photo 3.jpg
Photo 5.jpg
Photo 6.jpg
Photo 7.jpg
Photo 8.JPG
Photo 9.jpg
Photo 10.jpg
Photo 11.jpg

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:41 pm

Finished assembly! One issue that is bothering me is that windshield wipers seem to fall. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this while avoiding over-tightening the assembly?
Attachments
Photo 12a.jpg
Photo 13a.jpg
Photo 14.JPG

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:20 pm

I added thin washers to the wipers, on the inside of the vehicle, and lubed the pivot/mounts with the vehicle oil can. I also adusted them (bent? I don't recall) to be tight on the glass, which held them up but allowed manual wiping action. Prior to lubing them I was afraid to use them for fear of breaking them.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:24 pm

Hello Todd,

What great progress you have been making !!!
Outstanding work !!!

As far as the headlights go, I installed new See-lite bulbs from Ron.
No issues at all. I used F marked headlight buckets, and original rings.
Did you tighten up the set screw as far as it goes ?
It is also possible that your bucket was "notched out " from a former owner, causing the new bulbs not to fit snug anymore ?

I got a set of nos hand wipers on ebay, with blades.
They are very tight, and don't move at all.
They only move when you wet the windshield, then they work perfectly.

I heard that some repro units are not made with the spring steel, or whatever they did to make the original wiper arms to keep tight to the glass, which causes them to be loose.

Keep up your great work !!!

Keep ' em Rolling !!!

Also your windshield looks really nice, well done !!!
Did you have to cut the cowl gasket ?

Best Regards,
Ray

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:05 pm

twinflyer17 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:31 am
Thanks Sean for your kind comments. I think I have caught the OD bug as I find myself casually looking for another or next project. I like the idea of getting a later war MB to compliment the GPW, but will need to get this project done first! :lol:

Reading, PA - you got it!!! :D Would be great to get together for a few beers and celebrate! Fingers crossed....

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:21 pm

JAB wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:20 pm
I added thin washers to the wipers, on the inside of the vehicle, and lubed the pivot/mounts with the vehicle oil can. I also adusted them (bent? I don't recall) to be tight on the glass, which held them up but allowed manual wiping action. Prior to lubing them I was afraid to use them for fear of breaking them.
Thanks Jeff! I had tightened the wipers down initially, but grew concerned that they may break. I will install a few washers in hopes that it remedies the issue.
70th Division wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:24 pm
Hello Todd,

What great progress you have been making !!!
Outstanding work !!!

As far as the headlights go, I installed new See-lite bulbs from Ron.
No issues at all. I used F marked headlight buckets, and original rings.
Did you tighten up the set screw as far as it goes ?
It is also possible that your bucket was "notched out " from a former owner, causing the new bulbs not to fit snug anymore ?

I got a set of nos hand wipers on ebay, with blades.
They are very tight, and don't move at all.
They only move when you wet the windshield, then they work perfectly.

I heard that some repro units are not made with the spring steel, or whatever they did to make the original wiper arms to keep tight to the glass, which causes them to be loose.

Keep up your great work !!!

Keep ' em Rolling !!!

Also your windshield looks really nice, well done !!!
Did you have to cut the cowl gasket ?

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray! My headlamp buckets and lids are original & F-marked, but I think part of the problem why the bulbs are loose is that Bubba had made a few "extra" notches within the buckets as it was likely due to either supporting the use of different types of bulbs or to make it easier for removal. I had tightened the lid setscrew, but was also concerned that it may get stripped in the process.

I am pleased with my windshield and cowl. I had to cut the inner windshield gasket, but didn't have to cut the cowl gasket. I purchased both gaskets from Ron and find that both gaskets fit really well and would highly recommend them!

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:35 pm

Hello Todd,

That sounds like what may be the case if Bubba notched them out too much, and the bulb may not catch.
You might weld a little piece in there if needed to add some support for the bulb.

I added a cowl gasket that came with the jeep body, it fits great, but I will have to cut each end off a little.

Keep up your Great Work !!!

Best Regards,
Ray

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Mon May 23, 2022 7:15 am

Thanks Ray! It has been some time since my last post, but efforts have been on-going and slower than expected due to multiple reasons such as work, family, house projects, etc. But, what I have learned by reading and viewing updates here on the G, is that persistence pays off! I'm currently working on finishing the fenders and seats. Hope to finish them soon and will post an update soon, but thought I would share my work completed on my hood.

Truly sad, as after using fine grit sandpaper on both sides of the hood, I discovered that the previous owner/s at some point had ultimately stripped it down to bare metal and unfortunately, removed the white & blue numbers. Sigh... :( The previous primer & paint applied had to be removed once again as it appeared that the metal surface was not prepared well to receive the primer/paint. Rather than start with sand blasting the hood for fear of warping the metal, I had to sand the hood down to bare metal and found multiple layers of bondo and primer. Bubba strikes again!

I also noticed a small crown in the front of the hood where the 2 pieces are joined in the middle. I originally considered that it might be part of the hood design to help channel water off the hood. :lol: I didn't notice any damage that would force the hood to bend in that direction and against the weld. You can see the slight bend in one of the photos. So, I decided to leave it alone, as it really isn't that noticeable and I didn't want to do anything that would compromise the integrity of the hood.

But after getting the hood down to bare metal, I reluctantly applied a small amount of body filler to the front before priming and painting. Overall, I am pleased with how the hood turned out.
Attachments
Hood Before 2.JPG
Hood Before 3.jpg
Hood Before 4.jpg
Hood Prime2.jpg
Hood Finsihed1.jpg
Hood Finished2.jpg

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”