Iowa Willys MB Project

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
70th Division
G-Captain
G-Captain

Re: Iowa Willys MB Project

Post by 70th Division » Sun May 27, 2018 9:06 am

Hello Charlie,

If you could get a picture of your passenger side body gusset that is mentioned on the last page, regarding
a clip that is mounted there on the front facing edge ?

That would be great to see if you have anything mounted there, as a British detail.
It could solve yet another mystery for the British Jeep owners and restorers :D :D :D

Madcolars has a clip there and I had one mounted on my British jeep as well.

None of my US jeeps have a clip mounted there, but they do have a hole drilled.

Best Regards,

Ray

CharlieGPW
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by CharlieGPW » Mon May 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Hope these help...
Attachments
gusset.jpg
gusset.jpg (172.04 KiB) Viewed 603 times
engine B.jpg
engine B.jpg (250.55 KiB) Viewed 603 times

70th Division
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by 70th Division » Mon May 28, 2018 9:19 pm

Hello Charlie,

Great action photo there !
It appears that the British mounted the fuel line to the gusset.

That must have been done during a refit of the jeep, as originally the lines were attached to the fender ,
but, this makes 3 British jeeps that have had the fuel line mounted there !!!!

Very interesting, certainly makes removing the fender much easier not having the line attached there !

Thanks !!

Best Regards,

Ray

PS- Are there any Base Shop Codes on that data plate on your engine , maybe telling where it was overhauled ?

CharlieGPW
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by CharlieGPW » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:29 am

Hi,

Rich asked for dimensions of the British reg plate so I thought I'd post here as they may be useful to others:

Both front and rear are the same size, it's just a simple bit of sheet metal. Lettering is approx. 3.5 inches in height.
Attachments
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (150.42 KiB) Viewed 532 times
Length.jpg
Length.jpg (105.36 KiB) Viewed 532 times
height.jpg
height.jpg (228.01 KiB) Viewed 532 times
Rear plate.jpg
Rear plate.jpg (133.87 KiB) Viewed 532 times

CharlieGPW
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by CharlieGPW » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:28 am

70th Division wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:19 pm

PS- Are there any Base Shop Codes on that data plate on your engine , maybe telling where it was overhauled ?
The engine plate tells us is that it was reconditioned by 23 Base Workshops, REME July 53, Which is about the same time as when the Jeep was rebuilt.

http://baor-locations.org/23BaseWorkshop.aspx.html

So basically this Jeep and Rich's ( MadCoLars ) were rebuilt at the roughly the same time in Germany in 1953.

Regards
Charlie

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:00 pm

Thanks for the photos Charlie! Very helpful information and I will use this as a reference for making some future updates.

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:29 am

Getting the Willys started has been a bit of a challenge. Hard to get the motor to turn over with the starter. Foot switch was found to be the culprit. Going to replace it with a quality replacement unit. Wish I would have done this before the engine was installed! Next issue was no spark. Based on information on the G503 site I verified ignition coil operation which checked out OK. Moved on to the distributor and found that I wasn't getting a ground as the negative side of the coil always had voltage. Issue there was dirty contacts on the points. Cleaned those and now have spark. Need to double check timing and will hopefully have it running sometime this week.

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:36 am

Tracked down a bit more history on the Willys. Was issued a North Dakota title in August of 1979. The Owner moved to central Iowa at some point and Dad bought it in January of 1983 with 4,812 miles on it for $900. It now has 4,969 miles. Only drove 157 miles before it sat for a couple decades. Would love to figure out where it was between 1961 and 1979 and how it got to the states. Will make a few more calls to see what I can track down.

CharlieGPW
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by CharlieGPW » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:45 pm

MadCoLars wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:36 am
Tracked down a bit more history on the Willys. Was issued a North Dakota title in August of 1979. The Owner moved to central Iowa at some point and Dad bought it in January of 1983 with 4,812 miles on it for $900. It now has 4,969 miles. Only drove 157 miles before it sat for a couple decades. Would love to figure out where it was between 1961 and 1979 and how it got to the states. Will make a few more calls to see what I can track down.
I can almost guarantee that it came to the US with mine, they are too similar for it to be a coincidence...this is what Jim M found out about 81YH05

From Jim...
Also do you know how it ever came to be in the US?
Imported in the early to mid 1960’s. There is a man in Wisconsin with a JEEP out of the same surplus lot (he restored his). I bought it from an old couple in Ohio. They had five to choose from and picked 158029 because it is essentially NOS. Interestingly enough, the man that had five British JEEPS, name was Adolf! Crazy huh? Adolph’s son removed the brass tag from the dash board. I inquired about the family to see if I could track it down but they are no more.

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”