first ford gpw engine

Feb, 1942 - GPW1 thru end of first contract, April, 1942 - GPW15000 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Jean Georges
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: first ford gpw engine

Post by Jean Georges » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:04 am

Thanks Mickael ,

Great deal of infos , i thought at first that my triptych ford vep 6088 was exceptional with its Ford engine
but in fact it is'nt at all
Jean
jeep gp ford 14949
jeep vep ford 6088
jeep gpa ford amphibious
M8 ford
dodge wc 56 command car
dodge wc 53 carry all
Gmc dukw amphibious
Gmc 352 shelter
Gmc 353
Sherman M 4 A1
Stuart M3
Chaffee M24
Hellcat M 1
Harley wla 41
Harley wla 43
Harley XA

Waster100
G-Civilian

Post by Waster100 » Sat May 28, 2022 1:59 pm

Hi. Very new to Jeep restoration and this forum so please forgive my ignorance. Collected my Ford GPW today and been noseying the numbers. It seems I have a motor pool vehicle:
Frame; 10816 (Feb 1942??)
Tub plate : GPW 263556 (April 1945)
Ford engine :
Cast on head: GPW6050
Stamp on block at front : 030 Can this be correct? Seems a very low number compared to the numbers quoted in this thread?
I've tried to attach pics but " file too big"
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
1943 GPW
DOD 4.16.43 Louisville
Frame: GPW108164
Hood: 20371152

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Sat May 28, 2022 2:19 pm

you should probably start a new post, engine number is on the oval pad, front passenger side of engine, behind oil filter if it is on there. gpw 6050 should be down below, by oil pan. number will start with gpwxxxxxx up to 6 digits or mbxxxxxx if a mb block,

Adam

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:31 am

Don't know where you found the 030 stamped number but that might mean the engine cylinders have been bored +.030" oversized.
Some machine shops do this and I have found this stamping in several locations.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

gpwmke
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by gpwmke » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:04 am

I have a Wilson block with a machining date found on mating surface with oil pan of 6-4-42. The block had no serial number stamped on the oval pad. What caught my attention was all the Ford parts on this engine. Engine was found in a Hobart welder and my best guess is someone put this engine in the welder when the original engine died. Again my guess is the welder had an engine swap and saw very little use after that. I started to disassemble the engine for rebuild and every part that came off the engine on teardown was a Ford or GPW or F script marked part.I had Louie Larsen rebuild the engine for me and to both of our surprise the engine was at factory spec and no machine work needed to be done to cam, crank, rod bearings or anything. The engine proved to be hardly ever used. The only thing replaced were 2 valves which stems were corroded probably due to fact they were open for the years the welder sat not being used. Louie had a tough time finding standard rings (rings were replaced and cylinder honed. (by the way, the main bearing caps were not Ford, probably because the main bearings were installed and line bored at the Wilson factory before engine was shipped out,My best guess). Engine may have been set aside as a replacement and never used. Surplussed out after the war.

Return to “VEP Ford GPW”