early GPW hood to cowl bolt style

Feb, 1942 - GPW1 thru end of first contract, April, 1942 - GPW15000 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
pinksngreens
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
early GPW hood to cowl bolt style

Post by pinksngreens » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:12 pm

Hi Guys, looking for advice from VIP owners. My gpw is early second contract Richmond factory, DOD 6/42, serial number 35434. The body has all the characteristics of the first contract including the smooth metal rear of the locker lids. However the hood to cowl bolts have a plain head, not recessed as Im told was the Ford style. What was correct for the first contract ? Also what would be the registration number range for a Richmond plant gpw in June '42 ?

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: early GPW hood to cowl bolt style

Post by nick peters » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:35 pm

Hello Pink
In John Farleys book Standardised Wartime Jeep Book2 The engine bay photograph captioned 'Mid 1942 GPW Engine' clearly shows the recessed head bolts. The fact you state your gpw is a june production date, I think you can deduce that those with the recessed heads are indeed the bolts you need. On your question of registration numbers in the same book for June 42 production John lists USA reg 20382977-20389001 being allocated, with the Richmond plant having produced 1,176 gpws Maybe someone will give you more accurate info on Richmond numbers. However Un till then I hope that helps you.
regards Nick

pinksngreens
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by pinksngreens » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:30 pm

Hi Nick, many thanks for the information re. the bolts and the registration numbers. I'm happy as I have a set of the recessed head bolts from a previous restoration. Also sounds as though I should get the Farley book. Take care. Jim

Ian Fawbert
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Ian Fawbert » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:11 am

Hi Jim and Nick.

I’d agree your GPW should have the recessed head bolts with captive flat washer Jim.

They started appearing very very early into the second contract from the examples I’ve seen. The GPW’s I’ve seen in the 16XXX and 17XXX range have had them.

Good luck in your resto.

Ian.
Australian Jeep Investigator
MB: 131175
GPW: 11730.
GPW: 225290.
Aust trailer: GMH 3- #211
http://www.vintageengines.net

OldGPW
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by OldGPW » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:51 am

For what it's worth, my GPW (early May) had most of the original wartime era bolts on them (not going to say they were the same it came from the factory with, but they had layers of original olive drab paint, and I know the jeep was sold shortly after the war). The hood to cowl were plain regular head (non-recessed) bolts (but the larger bolts for the hood channel to cowl ground strap were not 'F' marked), the same with the brake master cylinder and trans cover bolts. Also quite a few were plain head (no F), such as on the hood hold downs, etc.

By June though everything could have been different, also with it being a different assembly plant. Nothing's ever easy for a GPW :lol:
Old GPW.

Return to “VEP Ford GPW”