42 GPW is rear shovel footman angled?

Feb, 1942 - GPW1 thru end of first contract, April, 1942 - GPW15000 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Renderman
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

42 GPW is rear shovel footman angled?

Post by Renderman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:36 pm

Hi friends, i'm nearing completion of an embarrassingly long restoration of my 42 GPW. i went to re-drill the holes for the rear shovel footman loop and noticed ,from the inside of the tub, that the plugged holes seemed to be different distances from the axe sheath. i'm not very good at explaining, but basically if I drilled at these location and install the rear footman loop, then it would NOT be parallel with the axe sheath, but would look angled. most pics i've seen the forward and rear footman's look perfectly parallel with the Axe sheath.

So I went searching to see if this was a VEP GPW exclusive feature, then I found the following pic from Al Brasses 42 GPW.

http://jeepdraw.com/images/jeepdraw/GPW ... traps3.jpg

check out the rear footman loop, it looks angled to me. admittedly my vision is poor and the strap is kinda in the way, but does it also appear angled to you? is it possible that this rear footman loop was angled in VEP GPWs?

any input and opinions is appreciated!

thanks, Rob

Boyso
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: 42 GPW is rear shovel footman angled?

Post by Boyso » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:59 am

Jeepdraw has a drawing with the exact holes locations but iirc, the footman is straight up and down but the axe sheath has a slight tilt to it, its not parallel to the floor/bottom of the side panel. Its very subtle though.
44 GPW 231738 10/23/1944
MVPA #36162

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: 42 GPW is rear shovel footman angled?

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:47 pm

Loop angled? NO.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “VEP Ford GPW”