GPW 8727

Feb, 1942 - GPW1 thru end of first contract, April, 1942 - GPW15000 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Randylover
G-Private
G-Private
GPW 8727

Post by Randylover » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:05 pm

Hi all. I thought I’d contribute to the long thread to say I’ve just bought my Ford GPW with 4 digit serial number 8727, as stamped on chassis with original glove box plates and DoD 03-19-42. Fairly complete and original, albeit rusty condition. Tons of f marked parts, flat top grill. It’s got an early (must be one of the first?) Ford chassis rather than the MB type one. I am looking forward to starting the restoration. It is now back in on Europe... in the UK.

I was told that WW2 Jeeps were not taken back to the US after the war. Is this true? I cannot understand why there are so many WW2 Willys and GPWs are still being exported from the US if they were never sent back after the war is this US true. Cheers in advance for any info provided.

kmccarthy16
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Re: GPW 8727

Post by kmccarthy16 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:01 am

Congrats on your purchase, my Jeep was made just a couple hours before your.

DOD 3-19-42
SN 8053

Made in the Dearborn plant
1942 Ford GPW
DOD 3-19-42
SN 8053

gpwmke
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by gpwmke » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:43 am

Good luck on your restoration.

conrod6
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by conrod6 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:00 am

If you haven't already found out - the jeeps over in Europe had served under fire and many were damaged .The French (and other European Nations) took ownership after a deal with the US. Many Jeeps served then through until the 1970's with many being built up from parts in places like Malternee (France - who built their own under licence - the M201).They were mostly used up and scrapped. In the US Jeeps were sold to Veterans and Farmers and eventually lay on remote farms worn out and unloved - until relatively recent years. The trade of Jeeps leaving the US to go to Europe is because of the price difference and demand in Europe. One day this trade may go into reverse who knows?

Barrie
GPW 101005 DOD 3-2-43 20207773 (actual) Louisville

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:30 pm

Hello,

Sounds like a beautiful, early GPW project :D :D :D
Please post some pictures when you can !!
A lot of Jeeps were made for WW2 :D :D :D :D

Like Barrie said, jeeps were used and abused, lost and found, and have been everywhere, and are also found everywhere. Europe had a much longer lasting and better rebuild and preservation program than the US Army had for the WW2 Jeeps !!
The jeeps lasted 50 years in service in European Militaries. France had them in the Army until the early 2000's, along with GMC CCKW's and Dodge WC trucks.

As far as where jeeps went after WW2 ended, and the Occupation of Germany began, many stayed in Europe to rebuild Allied nations, including Germany, Italy and all the other Nato countries, and Switzerland among others, including Yugoslavia which got a ton of US vehicles after the War.

As far as WW2 Jeeps and Vehicles found in the USA, that are found today
all over the country, many ask if they ever saw action in the European or the Pacific Theater .
Well ....the answer depends on what the vehicle can tell you when you find it :D :D

My answer is YES !!!
Massive amounts of the WW2 vehicles did return to the USA.
Many were brought back by importers to the USA post war. (Starting right after the war)

I have a 1/2 ton Command Car project that I bought years ago, from the original owner whose family bought it in 1946. He told me then, that it came back from England to Florida.
They bought it from a dealer in Tampa or Orlando, along with a GPA. I missed getting the GPA by a few days, but saw the hidden Command car. It has original 29th Division markings on the bumperettes. (29-X). This is what I was told as he was recalling the years of service it provided their family. I found it in a chicken coop, with chickens roosting on it :D :D
Missing its engine and winch assembly, abandoned. ( I also saw a film of a 29th Division 1/2 ton Command Car driving into St. Lo, so they had that model :D )

Almost half, 50 percent, of the WW2 Vehicles that I have in my "collection", not including the command car,were found here in the USA and are ETO returned vehicles. Many found from here in Florida.
I have them from Norway (7), France (3), Denmark (1), Germany (2), England (1) (via Germany), Greece (1), Switzerland (1), and even Japan (1), a CCKW Shop Van.
I also have a Ben Hur trailer from Austria (1).
My brother has a rough MB jeep that was rebuilt and returned from Japan (1) as well.
This info is based on European data plates, or in case of the Japan vehicles, US overhaul plates from Japan. The PTO jeep has Japanese made parts on it as well.

I have personally seen Swiss Cckws, Greek jeeps, Norwegian Dodges, and Norwegian Weasels, French Dodges and Cckws, M201 French jeeps, etc that other people own.

It all depends on what historical information can be found on a vehicle when you find it
abandoned or in a barn, or just rusting away in a junkyard.

Plus the huge amount of US based WW2 vehicles that are still scattered around the USA that didn't go overseas.

But it is a race against time, the elements, scrappers, developers, to save these vehicles.
It is part of the great effort we all take part in to preserve our collective History !!
If we don't, nobody will.
That is where it is at in my opinion, we are the guardians of our history. We must always be on guard, and keep a watch, so we can save it when discovered .....usually on the verge of being lost forever !!

Keep us updated on your great Jeep, and look for bumper and bumperette markings, or data plates on the engine from a rebuild, even sometimes the transmission, front and rear ends,
then maybe you can find some true history of your vehicle .
They can be US rebuild plates, with codes on them or the actual overhaul depot, or European overhaul tags from US or NATO countries.

It is great fun finding any history you can on your vehicle, and sometimes only a tiny clue !!!

My 1943 GPW British Jeep was in service with the Desert Rats, and sold surplus in Germany on January 31st, 1957 :D :D :D
WW2 Hood number M6078995 , Postwar British number 91YH98.
It belonged to the 5th Armored Detachment, of 22 Heavy Brigade , 7th Armoured Division, BAOR.
I am so happy to know this history based on first, the data plates stating such on the jeep, and the British Archives for the WW2 hood number and sales information. :D :D :D

Best Regards,

Ray

Return to “VEP Ford GPW”