floor drain holes

Feb, 1942 - GPW1 thru end of first contract, April, 1942 - GPW15000 NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Tom Wolboldt
G-General
G-General

Re: floor drain holes

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:48 am

Hi Chuck,

I see now, you meant iron pipe thread and slotted brass plugs.

I still think they will look great even they have no bearing on a GPW on any date. Maybe they are a MB thing.

dennis baker
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by dennis baker » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:23 am

refering back to an earlier post; the steel plugs can rust into the drain hole, i have just removed a body drain with the plug solid and broken off. from a 1944 willys tub [sorry ACM2]

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:16 pm

I rounded up some "1/4", slotted, BRASS, Iron Pipe Thread, .42" long plugs" today. No problem, tons of 'em around.
Then I asked the counterman to look up "1/4 ", slotted, STEEL, Iron Pipe Thread, plugs"....no luck, nope, uh-uh, fuggeddabbouddit.

He did have tons of "1/4", SQUARE HEAD, STEEL, Iron Pipe thread plugs" (standard plumbing item in his parts book).

When I told him these were for steel floor drains he cautioned me about the STEEL ones rusting in place very easy if I did actually manage to FIND them. He said the square head steel ones would at least give me something to get a grip on after they rust in place.

So...were they supposed to be BRASS all along? Were Ford and Willys using brass all along? Did one or the other drop brass and go to the possibly "mythical" 1/4" slotted STEEL plugs? Were they brass for Ford or Willys and slotted early and then slotted steel or square headed steel?

I can find slotted brass
I can find square head steel

but....I have not yet found slotted steel iron pipe thread plugs. If anyone has found a mfger and a part number for the 1/4" slotted Iron Pipe thread plugs in STEEL, can you post that info?

PS....now in addition to tightening the fillister head screw that holds the Air Horn to the Carburetor.....I have found a SECOND use for the 11" screwdriver in the tool kit!....installing slotted head drain plug screws!

Anyone have a mfg and part number for them in case something that proves that was what was used surfaces?
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Sean
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Sean » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:50 am

Chuck Lutz wrote: I can find slotted brass
I can find square head steel

but....I have not yet found slotted steel iron pipe thread plugs.
Slotted steel plugs...... sorry I don't know who the manufacturer was....

Sean Elliott
4-44 Gpw 190236
3-43 Bantam T3 trailer
Type 3a Aust. Ford trailer

Return to “VEP Ford GPW”