Bob Brandon

1940 - 1941 BRC, MA, GP, Preproduction Prototypes. Knowledge Base NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.

Moderator: DavidA

Polar Roller
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Bob Brandon

Post by Polar Roller » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:32 pm

I am deeply saddened to report the passing of Bob Brandon in Butler, PA, of causes unknown, sometime in the night of December 6-7.

Bob was rightly known to have been “Mr. Bantam” for many decades, and his generosity and contributions to people, organizations and Butler involved with Bantam cars, especially including the BRC are legendary in the small circle of people involved. The videos below will give a small but solid insight into his character and achievements.

It was Bob more than anyone who really roped me into the Bantam enthusiasms, and at the time I didn’t even know Bantam had even made a jeep, let alone the first jeep. After 25 years I wound up finding I had written a 400 page book about it and had owned three or four BRCs (or pieces of them anyway), including the current 1911, the Harrah’s car which had inspired so many later prototype enthusiasts in the 70’s and 80’s, and which I bought from Bob when he was through with it. In the book you sill see a picture of Bob with Lee Bortmas and others pulling a (still surviving) BRC hulk out of the weeds at a time when the tiny handful of magazine articles about it couldn’t even get the name right.(Phantom? Bantom?)

Bob also took the time to find and chat with the original BRC builders...Chet Hemfling and Ralph Turner among them. I think he met Roy Evans but am not sure. He tried his level best to save the Bantam administrative building, and with Jack Cohen was instrumental in getting the gigantic annual Butler Jeep Festival going.

Here are a couple of videos at the 75th BRC reunion, and they are also posted in the video section at brc1940.com if you lose track of the cites.

I cannot express what a great loss this has been for the Bantam people. Bob was a great guy and a great friend. It makes me well up to watch these videos and recall his friendship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSB0R8LKoQ
Hemfling, Turner, the shears that cut out the first jeep etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx0a7GFeEUo
Early Bantam and BRC collecting history...Including BRC 1911, Lee Bortmas, Butler Jeep Festivalrry

gpwmke
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General
Re: Bob Brandon

Post by gpwmke » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:44 pm

Sorry to hear of his passing.

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Bob Brandon

Post by Fred Coldwell » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:14 pm

Very sad new indeed. Rest in Peace, Bob.
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

Return to “BRC MA GP Prototypes”