GP Speedometer Cluster restoration and (re)build

1940 - 1941 BRC, MA, GP, Preproduction Prototypes. Knowledge Base NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.

Moderator: DavidA

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: GP Speedometer Cluster restoration and (re)build

Post by Adam » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:50 pm

I am following this, looks great to me. My assy is in pieces on the table since i took pics of it, May just follow what you have done to get mine done.

Adam

htc
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by htc » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:05 pm

Hello,

Today I decided to have a closer look at odometer rolls. Of course I know them from my work with the MB/GPW speedometers but I would like to report on something that might be of interest to somebody who is trying to build a GP cluster from different Ford Truck clusters.

We know that Ford Truck had three different cluster brands. Each of them having a 60 MPH and a 100 MPH version.
Waltham, Stewart Warner and King Seeley.

In the following picture one sees the odometer rolls of the three brands:

Top is King Seeley with a width of 35,7 mm diameter 18,8 mm
Middle is Waltham with a width of 31,3 mm diameter 18,9 mm
Bottom is Stewart Warner with a width of 30,2 and diameter 22,1 mm

This means that the opening in the face plate is different and a King Seeley face plate can not be used for building a Waltham.
A Stewart Warner face plate could be used (as it is only 1 mm difference) but in that case the holes for the screws connecting the face plate to the jewel need to be moved.

In the next picture one can see a (late) King Seeley face plate (without holes) and a Stewart Warner one. Both are 60 MPH versions (NOT correct for a GP cluster).
(the holes for a Waltham would be inside the 0 and 60/100 MPH ticks)

I know it is a detail, but if you plan on building your own GP speedometer cluster maybe this can guide you in buying the correct components.

Greetings
Hans
Living in Belgium
MB 379881
GPW 253827

htc
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by htc » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:24 pm

Hello

Today I did assemble a Stewart Warner odometer.
(of course for Waltham and King Seeley it is the same process).

I will describe the whole process of taking the odometer apart, removing the old numbers, priming the rolls, creating the decal number rolls, applying the decals and assembly in the thread on GPW/MB speedometer restoration when I find some time but I already wanted to share the result in this post.

This is a picture of the speedometer parts (magnet shaft is broken). The odometer was also in bad shape.

This is the end result of the odometer mounted in the frame (I decided to go for white but any yellowish or other color is possible):

And this picture shows a detail of the rolls where the transition of the number strips between the numbers '2' and '3' is hard too see:

I am pretty happy with the result.

On top of that the odometer works :-)

Greetings
Hans
Living in Belgium
MB 379881
GPW 253827

Return to “BRC MA GP Prototypes”