Alternate cooling fan?

1950 - 1968, M38, M38A1, M170, modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial field mods.
sweetjeep
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Alternate cooling fan?

Post by sweetjeep » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:28 pm

Seems I'm full of questions these days. I guess that's what happens when I am able to start enjoying the ol critter again!

In reference to the radiator fan:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a particular model or guidance on a fan that's not so LOUD.

I've been able to enjoy the Jeep this year more than any in the last 14 years that I've had it. But, what I am finding is that the cooling fan tolerable for a 10 minute ride. But much over that and the god awful thing really starts to get on my nerves. Point was driven home when took it off and accidentally went for a ride with out it and the trip was peaceful and about a million percent more enjoyable.

I have a Flex-a-lite electric fan, but I'd like to avoid that and keep the bay a little less inaccurate, though that's my planned solution. Though I have to use it as a pusher as there isn't room between the water pump snout and the radiator for the electric drive motor and the blades. Jegs, Summit, whomever, have a lot of options but I have no way of knowing if they will be quieter. As well I just assume that the old tech of the fan blades push practically no air so any modern replacement is more than suitable regarding flow.

Any advice? I've also thought about 3d printing an adapter to go from the snout of the motor to the Flex-a-lite fan (just the blades, not the whole assembly) as at full speed, it's effectively silent. Yes, I'd lose originality, but darn if it's not creative ;)

Ron D
G-Major
G-Major

Re: Alternate cooling fan?

Post by Ron D » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:42 pm

Hey Sweet,
You might also try the CJ2A Page Forum. Some of those folks are heavy into problem solving!

Try here: https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/forums.html

Good luck!
Ron D
1951 M38
1951 M100

Return to “M38, M38a1 Modifications”