install a solid state distributor in M38A1

1950 - 1968, M38, M38A1, M170, modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial field mods.
CARBERAME
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
install a solid state distributor in M38A1

Post by CARBERAME » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:34 am

Hi,

I've replaced the original distributor point set of the M38A1 Jeep for the solid state module. First I installed a new brand Swiss type and, after carefully follow the instructions and ensuring the proper connections, I had no spark at all. Then I tried with the Prestolite one with the same frustrating result. In view of this, I reinstalled de original points plate and it worked correctly.

In this same forum I read that the points can easily be replaced by any of these solid state modules without problem.

Can any body please tell me if there is any procedure I have to follow or what I'm making wrong or if there is any way I can check if these modules are defective, although the are new brand and is very unlikely they are defective?

Thanks

Carlos
(Barcelona, Spain)

mspeters
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: install a solid state distributor in M38A1

Post by mspeters » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:33 am

I have the Swiss kit in a M422A1. It runs but sputters. I stumbled on this thread the indicates clocking mods are needed for CW vs CCW distributor rotor rotations. Will attempt this mod.

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php? ... sc&start=0

mspeters
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: install a solid state distributor in M38A1

Post by mspeters » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:00 pm

m422 disit spins CW. So all is OK

Pertonix sells a 24v breakerless kit for M38 that needs no clocking - part number MV-141A

Return to “M38, M38a1 Modifications”