Key started, late version of a CJ 3A, february 1953

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, modifications, sugestions, and ideas
Seven
G-Private
G-Private
Key started, late version of a CJ 3A, february 1953

Post by Seven » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:48 am

Greetings to all,

I have a late, key started CJ3A, delivered in Holland in february 1953. It never had a floor start. I bought it a few years back with a 641087 series 1 engine block. It cracked. I now have engine block series 4 with a re-inforced rear flange similar to the engineblock with the number 804380.
The bell housing is the early small CJ2A/WW II. The starter is an Auto-Lite MZ 4113 (MB/early CJ 2A) and the generator is an Auto-lite GW 4801-D (early CJ 3B). The re-inforced flange of the engine partially covers the timing mark hole of the early adapter plate. I have a flywheel with a 97 tooth gear.

I want to complete the full restoration of my late, key started CJ 3A as originally as possible. That is very difficult in Holland. Everybody knows about a MB but there is very little knowledge about a CJ Jeep and very few CJ-parts are available.
For the restoration I need information about the following (correct) four parts that must stay together:
1. Bell Housing, 2. Adapter Plate , 3. Starter, 4. Flywheel.

Question: what parts did Willys-Overland use in late 1952/early 1953 for the late and key started version of the CJ 3A? The same parts as used for the (early or) late M38 or early CJ 3B?

Bell Housing: The MB/early CJ 2A Bell housing is too small for a nose-starter. Is a early or late military M38 Bell Housing (also used on the CJ 3B) the correct part or another Bell Housing specially made for the late and key started version of the CJ 3A?
Adapter plate: Is a military M38 the correct one or did Willys-Overland made a special version of the plate for the late, key started CJ 3A?
Starter: I understand that the late and key started CJ 3A had a nose-charter, Auto-Lite MCH 6203, 6 volt (or 6 volt rebuild Prestolite 46-15 MCH 6207??). Question: Both, the Auto-Lite MCH 6203 and the Prestolite MCH 6207 needs a solenoid. Was it originally mounted on top of the starter as I see on some photos on the Web?
Flywheel: In combination with a MCH 6203 nose-starter I need a 129 in stead of a 124 or 97 tooth Gear. Question: are all types of the flywheel suitable for a MCH 6203 or a Prestolite 6207 starter or just the 129 tooth gear?

Finally
Was in combination with the MCH 6203 starter an Auto-Lite GW 4801 generator, as I now have, originally used for a key started CJ 3A?
The early 3A version of the starter is the Auto-Lite MZ4137 (foot pedal). I found on the Web an Auto-lite MZ4173T 9K 6 volt starter with a solenoid mounted on top of it (NOS). Is that a correct starter for a CJ (2A or 3A)?

If possible, attache some pictures?

I thank everyone very much for the answers.

onlyonedr
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Re: Key started, late version of a CJ 3A, february 1953

Post by onlyonedr » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:20 am

Greetings. I think you should ask these questions on the forums located at CJ3APage.com and thecj2apage.com as they both specialize in early civilian Jeeps.

Seven
G-Private
G-Private
Re: Key started, late version of a CJ 3A, february 1953

Post by Seven » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:53 pm

Greetings,

Thanks for your answer. I have new tech. information from the CJ-3A-page.
Do you know who has an Auto-lite nose-starter MCH 6203 with a solenoid mounted on top of it and wants to sell it?

Return to “CJ's Modifications”