Modern Axles in CJ-5

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, modifications, sugestions, and ideas
joe
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Modern Axles in CJ-5

Post by joe » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:08 pm

Hello ALL,
It's been awhile since writing, and we've moved from NJ to CA now... I'd like to consider changing out the front and rear differentials to a higher ratio more like what is found in the 80's & 90's Jeeps (Cherokee?) I still have the 134 F head in the 58 CJ-5 and figure although it won't be fast off the line, the cruising will be a bit lower RPM .
Has anyone ever tried modifying axles to fit a CJ-5??
Any certain years work better than others?
Thanks ALL for any assistance you may render.
Joe
Work smarter, Not harder; with a bias on action.

gearhead
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Modern Axles in CJ-5

Post by gearhead » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:30 am

I have assembled many CJ5 and flat-fenders using later axles from Commandos and 1971/72 CJ5s, 3:73 ratio good all around ratio for everyday use and easy off roading.
These axles are almost a bolt in swap, only needing rear axle pads moved depending on donor vehicle, now keep in mind the pre 72 CJs use offset rear axles, so there is only one Dana 44 rear axle with one piece axles and offset, otherwise you will be using the two piece axles like your first gen CJ5 already has.
Using a Dana 30 "open" knuckle front axle has strength advantages and makes for an easy disc brake conversion also.
Using a two piece axle is OK but is a weak link, one piece replacement axles are available.

If this project is a "daily driver" type, you must disassemble and evaluate the condition of any used axle.

Ed S :)
54 CJ-3A/B
56 DJ-3A for sale
45 GPW 271022, USMC 46 CJ-2A 2WD"gasser"
50 CJ-V35
58 CJ-3B
57 DJ-3A chassis for sale

joe
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by joe » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:34 am

Good Morning Ed, and Thanks for this information, definitely pointing me in a great direction... This will be almost a daily driver and the higher gears will make for pleasant motoring... IF there is any "off-roading" it'll be easy roading, nothing radical. Current set-up has 11" drums and I'll keep in mind the possibility of discs for the long distance future... I will begin researching the years and "off-sets" which you mention, and YES... will inspect anything "used" prior to install.

With your proposed years, are the "widths" the same as original, or a least Very Close to original? Or does there need to be modifications done to the "length" of the tubes? Here in CA my shop space is very limited... so just planning on how much "disruption" needs to be anticipated when considering talking to the "Domestic Engineer" in charge. ;-)

I see you're in Middletown, and I used to frequent Elizabethtown... The Masonic Village there; when I worked for The Masonic Home of NJ. Again, Much Appreciate the sharing of What You Know!
Jersey Joe now out in CA. :-)
Work smarter, Not harder; with a bias on action.

Long&Low
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Long&Low » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:43 pm

If you want the stock look, you will want to look for "narrow track" axles, you can get away with later CJ5 or CJ7 axles. If you stay with offset axles then you t-case will be a
Dana 18, or you can swap to a Dana 20, and look for a centered rear D44. the later CJ5 rear axle is kind of preferred, and upgrading a Dana25 or Dana 27 for front discs is pretty easy. You may like the 11" drums, they are lots better than the original size.
'67 CJ5
'62 CJ6 In Progress

Return to “CJ's Modifications”