Hanging pedal setup

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, modifications, sugestions, and ideas
gunpilot
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Hanging pedal setup

Post by gunpilot » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:35 pm

I'm in deep on my CJ restificaion and modernization project. I'm converting to a hanging brake pedal setup in my flat fender. I was close to going with Herm's dual reservoir modification but decided it would be about the same amount of effort to simply switch the frame mounted master cylinder to a firewall mount with a hanging brake pedal setup. Running a Chevy vortec V6 with a TH350 automatic transmission, so the clutch pedal is a non-issue.

My question is to the guys who have executed the conversion or seen it done in the past. I'm looking for suggestions on donor vehicles for a hanging or swinging brake pedal setup. A CJ5 or CJ7, maybe even a wrangler seems like a no-brainer, but I'm also entertaining a DJ5 postal jeep as a donor vehicle. I've just never seen a DJ5 in real life to make a mental comparison of whether it will work or not.

Any thoughts or suggestions? As always, thanks for all comments. The guys on this board usually come through with exactly the right answer.

thanks
gunpilot

Jeff L
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: Hanging pedal setup

Post by Jeff L » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:55 pm

The Jeep CJ's went to swing pedals in '72, as I'm sure the DJ postal Jeeps did also. This was the year they changed to AMC engines, and lengthened the frame and wheelbase to accomodate them. I don't know if these pedals will work, but it might be a good place to start.
Jeff

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Forum7.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:17 pm

I have a hanging brake/clutch pedal bracket with pedals and brake switch in my pile of used parts that came from my '82 CJ-8. The clutch pedal is easily removed, and the brake pedal will still remain connected. I think I still have a good manual brake master cylinder, somewhere in the pile, too. I just looked at the bracket, it has the brake switch, too. The part is basically the same between a later '76+ CJ and a YJ, just that the YJ has smaller pedal pads and provisions for a hydraulic clutch master cylinder. $25 plus shipping, and it's yours!

Automatic brake pedal pads on '76+ CJ's and YJ's are wider than the corresponding stick shift versions, the one I have has the CJ small pedal pad which is bigger than a YJ small pad.

The brake bracket bolts to the firewall, and the steering column bolts to the rear end near the dash, triangulating it.

A SJ (Grand Wagoneer) column will bolt in place of a CJ column, and usually has tilt and an auto trans column shift. The shifter detent and indicator can be swapped with Chevy parts for a 700R4. The end of the spline is the same as late CJ. Later versions have the wiper and dimmer switches in them.

Hope this helps!
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

gunpilot
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by gunpilot » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:47 pm

On the road right now. Consider the brake parts sold. I'll shoot you a pm or email later tomorrow to arrange settlement. Thanks much.

gunpilot
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by gunpilot » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:55 pm

Marty,
I just sent you a PM regarding the brake setup.
thanks
Gunpilot

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:54 am

I still have to dig out the Master Cylinder and find a box. I'll reply to your PM once I find the Master, get it ready to go and figure out the weights, etc.
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
MVPA #8266
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

toolman_ar
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by toolman_ar » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:53 pm

When I added my transdapt set up a long time ago, I also added a piece of steel plate cut out to fit inside the fire wall. This will reduce flex in the thin fire wall. Using the CJ7 pedel set up is the way I would go if doing this again. Good luck with your project...

toolman_ar
God invented liquor so the Irish would not rule the world!
1949 CJ3A modified slightly
1967 M715
1945 Willys MB
1982 CJ8
1981 CJ8

gunpilot
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by gunpilot » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks Toolman,
I've done practically exactly what you described above. I put a piece of 3/16" plate against the inside wall of the firewall. I used a mid to late 80's cj hanging pedal setup. I had to shorten the pedal arm because it just hung so low against the floor. It all works pretty well. Oh I also braced the master cylinder on the front side and likewise tied the pedal bracket to the dash panel where the steering column mounts. It all required careful measurements, but it's worth it.

deputyvaughn
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by deputyvaughn » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:47 am

I used a hanging pedal setup from a Mazda b2200 for conversion on my 62 CJ5. Worked out great. Looking back I might have done better with a Toyota PU or Nissan set, but it is not a hard conversion and you can use the brake booster from the PU on the brake master cylinder move.

Scott
Jeep: I may get lost, but I won't get stuck.

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:31 am

Hey guys ,
Not trying to steal the thread but thought I would ask a question here.
I have a 50CJ3A that the previous owner installed hanging pedals I think as a kit from transdapt. It is for brakes and hydraulic clutch. The problem I have is the m/cyl is a single reservoir and I would like to improve safety for mountain trails by adding a dual reservoir m/cyl. Any ideas on a replacement??
Thanks'
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

gunpilot
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by gunpilot » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:28 am

I don't have a precise recommendation, but probably something with a Master cylinder piston diameter that's close or the same as what you have now. Mounting space is a consideration too. But you might look at something for a drum brake CJ5; I don't know what year they switched to dual reservoirs, but I'd assume late sixties or so. I'm sure someone on this forum has the answer.

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Sun May 05, 2013 7:58 am

I have three of these hanging pedal setups from late model CJ's, one with a clutch pedal, I'm about ready to scrap, if anyone wants one, let me know!

Kevin,
Dual master cylinders came into mandatory use on cars in 1967. Most likely a conversion kit would have used a common Ford or Chevy Iron single master from the early 60's, which a dual cylinder for a '67 Mustang or '67 Nova /Chevelle etc. might be a pretty close match and relatively inexpensive, most have bores around 15/16" or 1". A local auto parts store is likely to have them in stock for you to compare the width of the mounting holes and the pedal rod length and eye diameter. If you have disc brakes, get one for a disc brake car, so that there is no residual valve for the front disc side. If you have four wheel discs, a late 60's Corvette master is the way to go.
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
MVPA #8266

Return to “CJ's Modifications”