Saginaw Conversion 1956 CJ5

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, modifications, sugestions, and ideas
gglazar
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Saginaw Conversion 1956 CJ5

Post by gglazar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:53 pm

I know I know, I should look at the site earlycj5 site. I did and not all of my questions were answered by researching all of the topics plus, The admins removed the registration link, and I can't even register to post so I am back here......I have the right steering box, I have all of the plans to fab the brackets to mount it to the frame. My question is, can I use my existing steering column and somehow remove the linkage at the bottom and tie it into the saginaw box? has anyone personally done this? I am interested in pictures or a description.

As always I appreciate everyones help/input.

Cuz
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Saginaw Conversion 1956 CJ5

Post by Cuz » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:37 pm

My question is, can I use my existing steering column and somehow remove the linkage at the bottom and tie it into the saginaw box?
I don't see why not. It will take a bit more work then using the later column. You'll have to chop the bottom (worm gear) off the inner tube and provide a new lower bearing and support the new lower bearing and provide a transition from the original hollow inner tube to a "U" joint then just whatever length shaft is needed to reach the new saginaw gear box.
Cuz (AKA Wes K)
45 MB, 51 M38, 54 M37, 6? M101A1, 60 CJ5, 76 DJ5D & 47 T3-C

Jeff L
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Jeff L » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:09 pm

I used the stock column when I did the Saginaw conversion on my '64 DJ-3A (2wd CJ-3A), which has also been converted to 4wd. I don't have any good pictures but I'll try to explain how I did it. This is actually the way it was done before everyone started using tilt columns.

The DJ steering column is shorter than a CJ column by about 3" for some reason, so I measured a CJ-3A column and cut mine off at the floorboard the same length. Now my steering wheel is a little higher and the driving position is a little more comfortable. You will also have to figure out how far you need the steering shaft to protrude through the floorboard, probably a couple inches, and cut off the excess along with the worm gear.

Where your steering column goes through the floor there is a plate on the floorboard with a hole that the column goes through, I think about 6 bolts hold it on. I made a new plate with a smaller hole, just large enough for the stock steering shaft to pass through. On the original steering, the column clamps to the top of the steering box. The piece the column clamps to is held onto the box with 3 bolts, and is flat on the bottom. Remove this piece from the old steering box, center and bolt it to your new floorboard plate and it makes a great steering column mount.

Advance Adapters (A-A) sells a bronze bushing for the bottom of the steering column to support the shaft. I used this bushing, and also the Spicer u-joint they sell for the bottom of the steering shaft. From the U joint to the box I used a Borgeson steering shaft which can be cut to length, and a Borgeson U joint at the box. I can't remember if I got the spud shaft for the box from A-A or Borgeson, but I think there was some welding involved that I farmed out.

This setup has worked out quite well for over 10 years, I haven't had any problems with it. If you need some photos I can probably take some this weekend when this lousy weather clears.

A-A used to have some pretty detailed info in their catalogue on the Saginaw conversion. I used to have all this, along with Novak's V-8 swap instructions, but lately I haven't been able to find it.
Jeff

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Forum7.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gglazar
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by gglazar » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:47 am

That was a big help....thanks guys.

gunpilot
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by gunpilot » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:24 pm

I can't speak to the CJ5, but I'm doing a saginaw conversion on my C-DJ2/3A frankenstien right now. I debated far too long what method would be the best. Each method has both pro and con. I'm sure I'll be challenged by the con's at some point. Anyway, I agree the stock column can be cut and bushed. In the end, What I did though was call postaljeep.net and ordered a complete setup for an early DJ5. Of course its a used salvage unit but comes complete from horn button all the way to the end of the shaft where it meets the rag flex joint at the steering box. It also included a Sparta turn signal box. Total was $225 plus shipping. So far it's working out for me. It was a question of total cost and time involved that pushed me this direction. The Advance Adapter kit is essentially complete, but much more costly and time involved.

PS
Don't want to hi-jack this thread, I'll post my question on a seperate post, but as a heads up, I'm looking for suggestions on a Hanging brake pedal setup.

Thanks, gunpilot

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:59 am

I have a cut original column and the old black Sheller steering wheel from a '65 CJ-5, if you don't want to cut your original steering gear apart. I think I have the universal joint shaft, too. It was hooked to a manual Saginaw steering gear. I converted that one to power steering and used a tilt column from a later CJ-7 and saved the old parts. Let me know if you have any interest in them.
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

Return to “CJ's Modifications”