camshaft fiber gear

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, modifications, sugestions, and ideas
old arkie
G-Captain
G-Captain
camshaft fiber gear

Post by old arkie » Sun May 07, 2023 6:40 pm

I have my cj2 in a shop fi0or a rebuild. The machine suggested that I I no use the fiber gear on the camshaft. He suggested that I have him replace it with a metal gear. I am in doubt this change because I think there was a reason for using the fiber gear. I thought it was used in the event the motor sized and would strip the fiber teeth where if was a metal gear I think it may damage the crank and cam. Any advice about the metal cam gear. I would rather hear from others about this change. Hope for a answer soon thanks old arkie

parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: camshaft fiber gear

Post by parker007 » Sun May 07, 2023 7:16 pm

i would like to know also. i know the fiber gear las deckades. so why change?

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: camshaft fiber gear

Post by dpcd67 » Sat May 13, 2023 9:25 am

Your guy is absolutely wrong and has no experience with the plastic gears. I have seen lots of them and never saw a bad one. I am building a gear drive 134 right now.
A metal gear will not damage your valves, but it is definitely not necessary.
You are wrong, however, in thinking that the fiber gear is some sort of fail safe device; trust me, if your engine seizes up, it won't be that gear that strips. Your engine will be trash anyway. They don't strip the teeth off, ever.
They went to the fiber gear because it is quieter, and does not stretch and wear out like the chains of the earlier L134 did. But not for protecting your engine in case you forget to put oil in it.
I have busted those fiber gears off with a sledge hammer (did one last week); they are very tough. I am amazed that they could make what looks like plastic wood, so strong.
Anyway, tell your mechanic to use the fiber gear, and now, be suspect of everything he tells you.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “CJ's Modifications”