USMC M170

Modifications by service branch
softskin_driver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

USMC M170

Post by softskin_driver » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:04 pm

Hi everyone I have a 1962 M170 that is a Marine Corps Jeep the "person" I bought it from Civil Air Patrol had it for 22 years and purchased it from MCAS Yuma in Arizona.
I have been told it was never used as a front line ambulance that it was used to move flight crews around and it has troop seats in the back and what looks like a CJ tailgate with out the holes in it for the stretcher handles to protrude through. Anyone have or seen any proof that the M170 was ever used as a light troop carrier?
I found a couple of matchbooks in the glove box from Twenty Nine Palms.
I want to clean it up and keep it the way it was used by the Corps. You can see the USMC and Yellow reg numbers through the Airforce blue the CAP put over the Marine Green. It has all the fording kit parts except the exhaust and snorkel extensions and also has the heavy rear bumper and heavy shackles front and rear.
Any Ideas?

:D
Dave Ball
MVCC, President, Editor
MVPA 9377
http://www.mvccnews.net
1942 USA Dodge WC-24
1942 USN Dodge WC-56

Mike W.
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Mike W. » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:45 am

While I don't have any 'proof' at hand what you mention rings a bell like I have seen this before somewhere. The Navy and Marines didn't have a problem with modifiying a vehicle to better suit their needs, especially a one off or a small group of similar modified vehicles.
3rd generation US Navy 66-74
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 69-71
USS Buck DD-761

softskin_driver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by softskin_driver » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:51 am

Just got an email from Dan on the east coast that in the book All American Wonder #3 Fred Crismon talks about the M170 being used as a light troop carrier and aircrew transport.
Also they are mentioned in the standard catalog of US military Vehicles
Now I got to go buy a copy of these I guess.

:)
Dave Ball
MVCC, President, Editor
MVPA 9377
1942 USA Dodge WC-24
1942 USN Dodge WC-56

CBCHIEF
G-Civilian

M170

Post by CBCHIEF » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:53 pm

Navy Seabees used M170 as communication jeeps. USMC used the as
fast attack and comm jeeps.
I saw them in Nam.
Member Empire State West

softskin_driver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by softskin_driver » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:23 am

Thanks Chief...

I have had several off line reply's from Vets with the same recollections as yours.
I believe from what I am hearing and the fact I recently discovered my M170 has lockers in the front and rear and my tailgate was tossed as well as I have a fully functioning fording setup that my Jeep was not used as an ambulance.
There are several holes in the fenders by the tool box that maybe for radio mounts.
I have found two sets of reg numbers so I need to wet sand the hood and bumpers soon to get more info.

Thanks for your service

:D
Dave Ball
MVCC, President, Editor
MVPA 9377
1942 USA Dodge WC-24
1942 USN Dodge WC-56

ndnile
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant
Re: USMC M170

Post by ndnile » Thu May 07, 2020 8:58 pm

Dave,

I know it's old but reading your post is deja vu to me. I also have a 62 M170 with a solid tailgate and except for the bows everything ambulance related is simply not there. It also has mysterious holes drilled over the fenders. What seats did yours come with?

Based on shackles front and rear I believe it was USMC at one time, but there is sticker remnants on the front bumper that indicates it also spent time in the Air Force.

What did you find out?
Can you describe the troop seats in back?

See you at Plymouth this fall, Doug
Doug
Sacramento Area
1943 Willys MB
1943 GPW-125334 (Sold)
1962 M170
1959 Willys Wagon

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”