Coast Guard Jeep White/Orange Modern Era

Modifications by service branch
Miles Through Time
banned

Coast Guard Jeep White/Orange Modern Era

Post by Miles Through Time » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:34 am

Has anyone seen or have an image of a somewhat modern era Coast Guard jeep painted in the white and orange stripe color scheme? Our group has access to a M170 project that will need too much to complete as a front line ambulance and it was suggested to create a Coast Guard jeep to complete the branch of services in our collection. But we are working on a Navy grey jeep now, so a white/orange color scheme would really stand out as a Coast Guard vehicle, even if it did not exist in real life.

Any suggestions? We are thinking black canvas or vinyl seat cushions and leave it topless, so only white and black with the bright orange stripe and the CG seal on the hood. A black canvas top could be made, if needed.
Last edited by Miles Through Time on Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: Coast Gaurd Jeep White/Orange

Post by W. Winget » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:36 am

Ever sit on a black seat in a convertible in Ga in the Summertime? :oops:
I would go with white, orange or turquoise seats before black... :idea:
Maybe all white, orange stripe and orange top even.
Just a thought.
My DUKW was white with orange blaze up front, no way to tell what the seats were done in.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Miles Through Time
banned

Re: Coast Gaurd Jeep White/Orange

Post by Miles Through Time » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:32 am

Good point. I'm thinking orange if we can get the right color to match the stripe. Might give it that "life preserver" look.

CDR_K
G-Civilian

Re: Coast Guard Jeep White/Orange Modern Era

Post by CDR_K » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:26 pm

Traditional CG jeeps had nearly an identical paint scheme as USN jeeps, but ours said US Coast Guard on the hood and elsewhere (and why our uniforms were nearly the same as USN until mid-1970s).

I don't recall seeing anything you describe, but did find some photos on line of current USCG vehicles that may give you some ideas.

https://www.pinterest.com/nancyzimmeman ... g-related/
http://militarypd.50webs.com/uscg2.html
vr
Ken
CDR K, USCG Ret

gpwmke
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by gpwmke » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:50 pm

Back in the late 80s or early 90s I was driving by the Coast Guard base in Milwaukee and behind the fence and I believe getting ready to go to Great Lakes NS for auction/disposal was a high hood CJ3B that came from the Plum Island Lighthouse Station at the end of Door County about where Green Bay (the bay) meets the main body of Lake Michigan. Jeep was painted white and had the Coast Guard orange diagonal stripe on the sides running from the hood down to the outside step best as I can recall. Had a decent size Coast Guard emblem on the side too. Didn’t see any registration numbers on the hood but Plum Island was stenciled on the tail gate. A few days later I tried to enquire about it, but the unit was gone.

Coastiereid
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Coastiereid » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:07 pm

I’ve been in the CG for almost 23 years. We seem to have mostly blue or white GV vehicles, only Orange are our small boats, helos and the life jackets we wear.

Saw this one on google which is cool.

All the old CG jeeps I’ve ever seen were grey. I found a few on google to share here.
Think I read on a Coast Guard forum back in the day that this was that plumb Island Jeep.

Funny thing about hammydown Coast Guard vehicles, we always make it work no matter.
When I was overseas in Kuwait back in 2010-12, we had an old HMmV we used as an oil delivery vehicle. Painted in green camp with some tan, and someone painted a stencil on the bottom of the door opening that said “twinning” in yellow paint. We used to have to bring 55 gallons of oil in drums down to the piers for the patrol boats and the drums were in the back of the vehicle, hooked up with a pump and all.
The months May change but I’m always April

23 year USCG LT Naval Engineer (Mustang)
OIF, OND 2010-2012
Have served on 6 Cutters and get sea sick😒🤨

https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:29 pm

I am use to helping people here, but I'm not sure if I would be of much help,

I guess I'm stumped on what you would say to someone asking about the jeep at your Automotive Museum... when it appears the representation is totally fabricated.

I've seen and read about Coast Guard jeeps, some of which were cut and extended and have a friend that restored such a jeep. Most of the earlier USCG jeeps were Army jeeps painted Navy Gray of some sort and marked for the Coast Guard.
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

blitz67
G-Major
G-Major

Post by blitz67 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:47 pm

I visited Plum Island back in 1976, the Coast guard picked us up on Washington Island and took us to Plum Island for the day. They had a CJ-3 (the same one seen behind the fence somewhere in Wisconsin). It was painted white with the CG stripe exactly like the picture above. I have pictures somewhere from 76, I'll post them when I find them.

gpwmke
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by gpwmke » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:32 pm

The pic above is the exact color scheme I saw on the Plum Island jeep sitting behind the fence at Coast Guard Station Milwaukee in the late 80's, though the paint was pretty abused by then.

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”