Camp Pendleton jeep

Modifications by service branch
Michel
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Re: Camp Pendleton jeep

Post by Michel » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:04 am

Hello Peter,

Thank for your helpful response. I thought I was done making a Camp Pendleton jeep but but now the Iwo Jima option is open again... :D I can't get this idea out of my head yet and make a choice. I'm going to spray the jeep in OD first and then I'll just drive it and then I'll see.. This weekend I'm also going to register with a military vehicle club and then I can also hear some opinions there... :D In the near future I will be collecting Camp Pendleton and Iwo Jima jeep photos and delving more deeply into this battle. Then I can make another choice later.
Regards Michel
The Netherlands
1944 MB 343496 USMC under restoration

The Fireman
U.S.M.C. Veteran
U.S.M.C. Veteran

Post by The Fireman » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:48 pm

Michel,

A little more insight on the USMC ambulance that I restored. The May of 43 matching numbers GPW I restored was originally painted Army Olive Drab with the USMC green over the Army Olive Drab. The jeep still had the USA number in Blue Drab under the USMC paint (these blue drab numbers were repainted on the jeep prior to painting the jeep USMC green). When the "litter rack, storage box et al was completed. The jeep was first painted in Army OD, then painted in USMC green. During the restoration, the original TAC markings on the driver's side of the grill were masked off and preserved when I painted the jeep. The original USMC number was repainted on the hood and the rear access door as to their original locations. Where the paint gun could not reach was left Army OD.
According to my research, the Fifth Marine Division left Iwo Jima and were sent to Hawaii to refit for the invasion of Japan. The Fifth did travel to Japan. As a result of this, the panel under the windshield was hand lettered in Red as follows:

V AC MED. BN V = Fifth Amphibious Corps Medical Battalion Fifth Marine Division

If you do a search for a copy of the MVPA publication "Army Motors Number 127 Magazine" you will find an article on the Ambulance Jeep and many photos of the restoration.

I hope this will help answer some of your questions.

Good luck on your restoration,

The Fireman
The Fireman
NRG

pgcf
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by pgcf » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:34 am

Michel,

A friend of mine has a jeep that has a similar history to yours.

I think his came from Camp Lejeune on the East Coast as opposed to yours on the West Coast. There is no "Brand" at Camp Lejeune. That started as a USMC base as opposed to Camp Pendleton which was the Pendleton Ranch which the government bought in 1942.

His very original MB is a Sept '44 MB, serial number 372451 with USMC 101473 on the hood and bumperettes. It would have been on the front bumper as well. This would make your range of 101080 or 115506 a good start.

I've seen a picture of a 4th Marine Division jeep on Iwo Jima with the number 103852 if that helps. I would put yours in the 105XXX range.

His was painted OD and oversprayed with Forest Green.

The only USMC addition was the extra safety strap ring added to the dash to lock the shifter. This was a standard USMC modification.

I know you are in Europe. Everyone there does US Army, Canadian, and British configurations of their jeeps. Yours has a true USMC history and you will stand out when you are with all the other jeeps instead of being just another jeep. Food for thought.

Cheers,
Peter

pgcf
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by pgcf » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:50 am

Bump, back to the topic at hand

I'm just moving this back to the top, the Jeff Moss message is important but it is now on every thread.

Peter

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”