Could this be a USMC jeep?

Modifications by service branch
horrocks
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Could this be a USMC jeep?

Post by horrocks » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:04 am

I am currently restoring MB404620, documented here viewforum.php?f=96.

The Jeep was released from US Army stocks in France in 1955. I bought it in Montpellier 8 years ago. Removing the paint I have noticed that beneath the cream civilian paint there is a layer that appears to resemble Forest Green, over OD and red oxide. It may well be that the US Army adopted a paint of this colour in the 1950s, or it could even be the first civilian coat. It was after all bought by a forestry company north of St.Tropez. I wonder though what the experts here think. It would certainly seem strange that vehicles would be shipped from the Pacific to Europe, but then strange things happened.

The Jeep never went through the French military, and there are no traces at all of US military markings.

Toby

Willys MB 3/13/42 127415
Willys MB 1/9/45 404620

pgcf
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Could this be a USMC jeep?

Post by pgcf » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:53 am

Horrocks,

After looking at the pictures and remarks from your referenced thread let me start by saying what a nice jeep you have. Also, as you have documented so well, the "leave as it is" recommendations become moot once you realize the degree of rust and neglect you are facing when you really begin doing repairs. You are now in full restoration mode and will be glad you took the time to do it right and are able to enjoy your jeep.

This being said, your documentation and pictures makes it possible for me to state, with a high level of certainty, that this is not a USMC jeep.

Its DOD makes it too late to be a Marine Contract. It also has no signs of having been a USMC contract radio jeep. These details are well documented in other threads about USMC jeeps and MZ-2's (Radio version) so I will not repeat that here. Search the forum for these topics or Mark Tombleson.

Whatever path this jeep's life has taken it started as a standard MB built to US Army ORD standards. Beyond that it is pure speculation.

Pursuing that path here is my recommendation given that, according to your knowledge, it has lived most of it's life in France.

First look for any markings, especially on the hood. You should at least find the original blue drab USA numbers. If you can not find any white markings or star on the hood or on the body my guess is it arrived close to (or shortly after) VE Day based on it being a January '45 MB. This may have been a direct transfer to the French or a restocking for the US Army.

After this 1945 scenario there is a decade of mystery to try and sort out. Back to my point about markings.

The darker color can potentially be explained as the fact that the US Army post war color was darker than the original WWII OD. If it was used by the French it could be their color it just never required a rebuild at Maltournee because it was new when it was received.

Without definitive markings, I think the only way this jeep could have belonged to the Marines and still be in France is if it was used by the Marine Guard Detachment at the US Embassy. If this was the case it would most likely have yellow numbers and markings on it. A USMC alternative is that it could have been a US Navy jeep in a similar Detachment duty or at a port since they both used Forest Green before the Navy started using their grey color.

While none of this really gives you the definitive answer you are looking for I hope it puts a finer edge on your detective work.

At the end of the day, you have a great jeep that has lived a fairly complete, original, and unmolested life and it is yours to restore as you wish.

Hope this helps,
Peter

horrocks
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by horrocks » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:40 am

Peter, thank you, some interesting thoughts.

The Jeep almost certainly never went through the French army - the person from whom I bought it told me that it had been released directly from the US forces in France in 1955, and had been purchased by the Falaize family firm of foresters near St.Tropez.

No markings at all on the tub, but the remnants of a vesicant paint star on the hood, which comes from a GPW. Perhaps the hood landed in Normandy, who knows!
Toby

Willys MB 3/13/42 127415
Willys MB 1/9/45 404620

pgcf
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by pgcf » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:11 pm

Toby,

You are very welcome. This sounds like it was a jeep used by the US Army and was part of their inventory and sold as surplus in France. I stick with my guess that it is a post war paint job regarding the darker green over the OD and that it was a US Army jeep.

By this time the Army was replacing all their remaining WWII jeeps. It is highly unlikely that this was ever a Marine jeep.

Your jeep has the ACM 2 body so even though it is a Willys these jeeps had a Ford hood. As for the vesicant paint I am not sure there was a reason to use that but you never know. If you can find traces of the registration number you can compare that to the DOD to determine if it is original to the jeep or a replacement.

A January '45 MB would have the bracket for the grease gun and if it did not have the holes for the lube chart it would at least have the dimples.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”