Navy jeep at Glenview NAS, Chicago, Illinois

Modifications by service branch
gpwmke
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General
Navy jeep at Glenview NAS, Chicago, Illinois

Post by gpwmke » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:36 pm

Did some research on the Glenview NAS museum website. They have a copy of the program given out to those in attendance when the base shut down in the 1990's. On one of the pages in the WW2 section there is a pic of a jeep and a 40's vintage car of some kind parked on the street by what looks like some base warehouses. Also a pic from 1946 showing people watching an airshow on the base. In the far left of the picture you can see the passenger side rear panel of a jeep that is parked. These are both black and white photos but it does appear at least the 1946 pic shows the jeep as being a light (possibly grey) color. I have GPW 70239 which has a Navy ID plate mounted by the front shovel bracket on the original body tub. It is pictured in another post in this topic forum. I believe it is very possible my GPW was either assigned to Glenview NAS or Great Lakes Naval Training Center during the war.

PENNINGTON
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Re: Navy jeep at Glenview NAS, Chicago, Illinois

Post by PENNINGTON » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:32 am

I am in a similar boat as you. My GPW has a navy tag for the Washington Gun Factory in Virginia.

I personally think we are luckier than most to be able to narrow down a particular area that the jeep might have existed. I would think there are better chances of finding a vintage picture of them.

Good luck!
Josh Pennington
44 Ford GPW

gpwmke
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by gpwmke » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:08 am

Take a look at the post "USN original data tag" on this forum. Does your Navy jeep have a tag like this on it? This tag was on my jeep GPW 70239 and was mounted just above the shovel bracket on the outside front quarter panel.

PENNINGTON
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by PENNINGTON » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:18 am

i have probably been through every Navy post on this forum researching!

No, my tag is unique to the Washington Gun Factory. I have found records for the base which account for 3 "jeeps". I can only wonder if mine is one of them. I look at vintage pictures of the base all the time hoping to one day find it.

gpwmke
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by gpwmke » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:31 pm

Would u be willing to email me a picture of your Navy data tag? Best wishes;

nirvana
G-Major
G-Major

Post by nirvana » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:28 pm

gpwmke wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:08 am
Take a look at the post "USN original data tag" on this forum. Does your Navy jeep have a tag like this on it? This tag was on my jeep GPW 70239 and was mounted just above the shovel bracket on the outside front quarter panel.
I have GPW 70219, a navy contract Jeep from the ford plant in Louisville. What’s your hood number?

gpwmke
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by gpwmke » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:19 pm

GPW 70239 has a DOD of Oct. 3, 1942. I could not find the Navy number anywhere on the hood or body tub. It still had a small gas cap fuel tank and no provision for a gas can carrier on the rear panel. It was not a script body. The mystery box on data tag is stamped 1/4T and I believe this came out of the Louisville plant.
Take a look at the post USN Original Data Tag I just bumped it to the top of this forum. This brass tag was mounted outside the tub just above the forward shovel blade bracket. Did GPW 70219 have a similar tag on it? Best wishes;

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”