Slow-build USMC Ambulance replica down under

Modifications by service branch
nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Slow-build USMC Ambulance replica down under

Post by nick peters » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:13 pm

Hello Phil
Over a year since we last "spoke". Good to see your still working on your project. Good luck mate :)
regards Nick

Trackpad
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Trackpad » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:38 am

Hello Blitz67 yes you are quite right - they are generic ' Walmart ' stencils ! Actually I'm going for a Korean war era look so WW2 is not necessarily the appearance desired.

Hello Nick,

Glad I described it as a slow build because apart from hundreds of small restored parts there's still next to nothing to see so far.

I recently bought a lot of paint so maybe I will start to get some larger items sorted and a pic or two.

Cheers for now

Phill
1944 GPW (USMC Ambulance tribute)
1943 MB (Parts vehicle)

Trackpad
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Trackpad » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:01 am

A bit of an update, due to a house move, Covid lockdowns, budget constraints and personal illness there’s not a lot to show since my last post.

Work continues on sorting the chassis frame. A recent purchase of good quality snap off rivets will help and the rear frame horns have been welded back together with sections from a donor chassis.

The body tub has been braced, a number of rusted sections cut back, the rear door and passenger side areas cut away and new or donor panels sourced

Seat covers have been acquired as well as a large number of small parts cleaned, primed and painted

Cheers

Phill
1943 MB (Parts vehicle)

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:34 am

Trackpad wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:01 am
A bit of an update, due to a house move, Covid lockdowns, budget constraints and personal illness there’s not a lot to show since my last post.

Work continues on sorting the chassis frame. A recent purchase of good quality snap off rivets will help and the rear frame horns have been welded back together with sections from a donor chassis.

The body tub has been braced, a number of rusted sections cut back, the rear door and passenger side areas cut away and new or donor panels sourced

Seat covers have been acquired as well as a large number of small parts cleaned, primed and painted

Cheers

Phill
Hello Phill,

Great to see you back at it, and hope you are doing well !
The last few years have been tough around the world, at least now things are getting somewhat back to normal :shock: .

That sounds like you have made some good progress along the way on your jeep project.

Keep us posted !!

Best Regards,
Ray

The Fireman
U.S.M.C. Veteran
U.S.M.C. Veteran

Post by The Fireman » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:17 am

Hello Phil,

I regards to USMC ambulance build for Korea, the build would have probably been the later style with the taller superstructure as you suggest. But then again, the Corps reused the reused items as well. If you are able to locate an Army Motors issue 127, it may assist you in your restoration. I may have saved some of the measurements, so will have to check. Will forward them to you if located.

Good luck your project,

Frank

PS: The rear seat positioned on the driver's side wheel well, covers up in the tool locker lid. So you may wish to cut a portion of the bottom of the rear seat the covers the compartment to gain access to it. That is what I did,
The Fireman
NRG

Trackpad
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Trackpad » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:41 pm

Hello Ray, thanks for the support and feedback👍

Hello Frank, I agree with all you say. I like the style of the earlier version but being 6’6 tall myself I need all the headroom I can get !

I did actually cut out the aperture in the rear seat base but owing to a ‘bad day at the office’ I managed to cut the left hand front instead of left hand rear. Oh well - more welding !

Any measurements are always welcomed for sure. I will keep my eye out for that copy of Army Motors. My MVPA membership expired many years ago.

Despite repeated efforts I have not been able to upload any pics I took, will keep trying

Cheers

Phill
1943 MB (Parts vehicle)

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:19 pm

Hello Phil
Thats two years or so since we last ' spoke' pleased to hear your still going ahead with your project. Good luck mate||
regards Nick.
ps Bill Mullens project down in Melbourne is a long term adventure too. You guys should have a race to be ready for Corowa show one year :lol:

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”