USMC Contract Parts, Forest Green vs O.D.

Modifications by service branch
Farrell Fox
banned
USMC Contract Parts, Forest Green vs O.D.

Post by Farrell Fox » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:26 pm

I've asked this before, however nothing turned up last time, so I'll ask again.

What parts, if any, were installed on a contract NoM Jeep that were not painted Forest Green prior to installation? Parts like the mirror, lube chart holder, blackout drive light bulb, ect.?
Last edited by Farrell Fox on Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division
M1A1 Main Battle Tank Mechanic
M88 Armored Vehicle Recovery Operator
AVLB Operator

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: USMC Contract Parts, Forest Green vs O.D.

Post by Fred Coldwell » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:33 pm

Farrell Fox wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:26 pm
I've asked this before, however nothing turned up last time, so I'll ask again.

What parts, if any, were installed on a contract NoM Jeep that were not painted Forest Green prior to installation? Parts like the mirror, lube chart holder, blackout drive light bulb, ect.?
Hi Farrell:

I don't know the answer and am not going to research it. But here's how I would go about finding which parts installed on a NOM jeep are not painted Forest Green prior to installation.

Because I'm not aware of any W.O. Parts Lists for NOM jeeps, you would have to get a copy of the Bill of Materials for either a NOM or NOM-12 jeep, whichever you had in mind. Then place it alongside a closely dated TM-10-XXXX or ORD 9 Parts List for the QMC/Ordnance U.S. Army MB. Go through the BOM page by page and line by line, and compare the part number for every NOM part to the part number for the same QMC/ORD MB part. If you are interested in fewer than every part, then just compare the part numbers for those fewer parts.

If the part numbers are the same, that part should be painted olive drab. If the part numbers are different, then that part on the NOM should be painted Forest Green. If a part number appears for the NOM but not for the MB, then its likely that part was used only on the NOM and not on the MB; and vice versa (excluding, of course, different part numbers for newer, superseding parts on only one of the jeeps due to different effective dates of the two documents).

It would be a very tedious task, but that's the only way I know of to identify the same parts on each jeep that are painted the same olive drab color before installation. Godspeed if you decide to tackle that project. :)
Last edited by Fred Coldwell on Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Fred Coldwell » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:17 am

[removed duplicate post]
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

pgcf
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by pgcf » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:56 pm

Fred is correct everything with the ORD part number is OD. I have the January '43 NOM 12 Addendum that has every part for the 1/4 ton Willys listed which are "PECULIAR TO THE U. S. MARINE CORPS TRUCK". It clearly states that all items not listed in the list are the same as shown in the regular MB Parts List. It also states that U.S.M.C. Trucks are painted Forest Green.

A word of caution is that some parts are unique to the Marines and not painted like the filter for the Dyneto wiper motor or components of an assembly like the tail lamps that are painted Forest Green.

The exception is the tools. Some came painted OD as part of the A-1162 tool kit, the Marines got the A-5505 Parts Kit and it was painted Forest Green but the contents are standard including the A-6351 Haviland pump.

Sent you a PM.

Peter

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”