USCG Jeep Colors and Markings

Modifications by service branch
jwhorsefolk
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

USCG Jeep Colors and Markings

Post by jwhorsefolk » Thu May 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Last year, I bought a 1945 Willys MB out here in CA. Having served in the USCG I wanted to honor the Coast Guard Beach Patrols of WW II. I have seen Willys ads claiming that the Coast Guard used their Jeeps in the Pacific, and the Willys is OD in the ad. I have a book, 'Prints in the Sand", that describes the USCG beach patrols with a few B&W photos of CG Jeeps. Does anyone have any info on the Beach Patrol Jeeps vs the Port Security Jeeps? The photos I have compared, the Beach Patrol Jeeps do not have hood numbers, but the port Security seem to start with "SC". Both seem to generally have white numbers, but what color vehicle for beach patrols, grey or OD? So far the chasis is '45 OD semi gloss, and we are getting ready to paint the body, any help is appreciated.

tipdog
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: USCG Jeep Colors and Markings

Post by tipdog » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:33 pm

Check Fred's Place - the photo album - and the CG Historian's site.

Dixiejarhead
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Dixiejarhead » Wed May 01, 2013 12:37 pm

If you find any additional information, I would also love to know. I have been considering doing the same thing with my jeep.
1942 GPW #70355
DEO VINDICE!

tipdog
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by tipdog » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Teh CG Historian has posted the 1952 edition of the Coatings and Colors Manual here: http://www.uscg.mil/history/Station_Index.asp

Here's the direct link: http://www.uscg.mil/history/docs/paint/ ... _Paint.pdf I'd bet the WWII colors weren't all that different.

Tombo
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Tombo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:39 am

I would like to reopen and get help updating the discussion of USCG Jeeps/vehicles.

I found some information & few photos by internet searches and this forum, and I am waiting for a reply from the owner of an "Invader" jeep. The information in the jwhorsefolk post is about the same as my search got me, but the links in related posts didn't work (at least for me).

Finding and preparing a vehicle (reasonably period correct and not a "show" car) for display at a local lighthouse is my primary reason for wanting to identify colors, markings, sand rims/tires sizes, and any "light" vehicles used between 1940 and 1948 along the coast, particularly the sandy East coast.

Did they procure M38, CJ, Willys wagons/trucks, Ford/Dodge/ Chevy trucks and sedans..?.. Identifying vehicles a few years earlier than '40 and thru 1963 is also of interest.

Any information , updated links, and leads would be appreciated. I have a local MVPA member I'm going to contact.

Thank you/Tom

gpwmke
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by gpwmke » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:25 pm

Quite a few years ago maybe in the mid 1990's there was a high hood CJ3B type vehicle in the Coast Guard base boat yard in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The jeep had it's back end to the road and the body tub was painted white as I recall and the words Plum Island were painted in black block letters on the tailgate. I didn't pay allot of attention to the sides of the jeep and could not see the front. The windshield was painted black and I believe there was a broad orange hashmark similar to other Coast Guard striping along the side of the jeep kind of running down the same angle just in back of the front fender and I think it ran down to the step, but that is just my best guess on the orange stripe. Hope this helps. I really wanted to buy the jeep but a few weeks later it was not there any more. Perhaps it headed to Great Lakes or Fort McCoy for sale. Best wishes;

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:07 am

The Military made a huge buy around 1964 of CJ-3B Jeepsm Most that I witnessed were Gloss O.D. U.S.Navy Gray Somewhere there is a photo of Lawrence Nabholtz in a restored Gray Military CJ-3B, not sure of which branch. Do a Web Search for USN or USCG CJ-3B, you might find just what you are looking for.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

tipdog
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by tipdog » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:31 pm

gpwmke wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:25 pm
Quite a few years ago maybe in the mid 1990's there was a high hood CJ3B type vehicle in the Coast Guard base boat yard in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The jeep had it's back end to the road and the body tub was painted white as I recall and the words Plum Island were painted in black block letters on the tailgate.
Yeah, that was the jeep that was assigned to Coast Guard Station Plum Island. By 1988 it had been replaced on Plum Island by an M151. The CJ may have been the Base Milwaukee plow vehicle after it was on Plum.

I found a pic from 1968 that shows what might be the same vehicle on Plum:

tipdog
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by tipdog » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:44 pm

And another of the CJ on Plum, a few years later:

tipdog
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by tipdog » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:50 pm

The Coast Guard Historian's Office has relocated it's website to here: https://www.history.uscg.mil/

You'll really have to dig to around as it is not as easy to use as the previous site.

blitz67
G-Major
G-Major

Post by blitz67 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:27 am

I rode in the Plum Island Jeep in 75, 76 or 77 can't remember the exact year, I have a color picture of it I will post when I find it.

blitz67
G-Major
G-Major

Post by blitz67 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:29 am

And I believe the M151 was transferred to station Sturgeon Bay, they had an M151 when I visited in maybe 92 or 93? We had an M37 at Airsta Brooklyn in 1992-94 era.

Fred Coldwell
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Fred Coldwell » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:28 am

While cleaning my office during the coronavirus self-containment today, I can across a photocopy of an old article published July 15, 1945 in "This Week Magazine", a supplement to The Birmingham News. The article, "My Life with a Jeep" authored by William R. Scott, USGC, opened with the first photo below and described the USCG helping the Red Cross serve flood victims in Arkansas during 1945. The second photo shows the jeep's passenger side. These black and white photos capture the markings on one stateside USCG jeep belonging to the 22-state (Minnesota to New Orleans) St. Louis Ninth Naval District during 1945, so I thought they would be of interest. Enjoy!

Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
1944 CJ2-09 - X33
1945 CJ2-26 - X50
1944 Dodge T233 CC
1945 Dodge T233 Utility
MVPA #283C

hslicer
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by hslicer » Fri May 01, 2020 1:04 pm

Here is an old pic of an east coast jeep and my 42 GPW.
Harry
USCG 42 GPW
Retired USCG, Crystal River, FL

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”