USMC Ambulance Jeep Fixtures

Modifications by service branch
ajlang
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

USMC Ambulance Jeep Fixtures

Post by ajlang » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:24 am

I purchased a Holden style USMC ambulance jeep conversion over the summer. I wanted a jeep to drive till my slat gets finished and I thought this would make an interesting project once my slat is completed. The jeep has been untouched in the sense that no major civilian modifications were done to the jeep in its civilian service. Unfortunately, many of the ambulance jeep additions were removed and discarded. The jeep had all the tie downs, but several were broken. All but two of the litter brackets had been discarded. The only ones left were the one on the dash and one on the front passenger side. I wanted to get the missing/broken parts reproduced. A number of people have used a guy from Allentown, PA that Michael Boyle discovered named Matt MacSparran. You can see some of Matt's work here:
http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=598552
I have a grill for slat 101256 that I wanted restored and asked Matt if he would consider duplicating the tie downs and litter brackets. Matt agreed to do this. I got the stuff back last week and to say I am pleased would be an understatement. Matt is very particular when making/repairing parts that he gets everything correct. He is one of a few people that I count as a true craftsman. Matt built jigs, dies and a press to fabricate the ambulance jeep parts. When I looked at the parts next to the originals I could see where Matt had made sure that every feature and curve had been reproduced perfectly. I could not tell the difference between parts. Matt sent a picture CD and notes he made when fabricating these parts that he said I could share on the G.

Litter brackets

Homemade press for building the litter bracket

Dies to make the bracket bend

The first bend

Bracket parts

Bracket cut and bent

Finished brackets

Painted brackets

Tie Downs

First bend

Second Bend

Third bend, second bend gets tightened up here as well

Fourth bend

Two more small bends and trimming

Marking the angle of the mounting plate

Centerpunching the back of the part, this transfers the angle to the back, marks the length of the mounting plate and remains visual when heated by a torch.

Half faced hammer blow, forms shoulder.

File and clean up part. Tapered shoulder.

Mark holes

Drill smaller holes firt, prevents walking

Drill again, sand, clean and paint.

Finished parts

Parts on the truck

Hope this helps anybody doing a similar restoration. I would not hesitate to use Matt for this type or other types of work.
Best regards,
Andy Lang
Last edited by ajlang on Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
U.S.M.C. Veteran
U.S.M.C. Veteran

Good Start

Post by The Fireman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:05 pm

Andy,

You have a good start there. However, the driver' side front bracket is welded to the dash, not bolted. Also when you do the middle support structures, the one on the dash is inset(toward the passenger side), the center and rear supports are in line however. The inset allows the stretcher handle to ride outboard of the bracket.

What is the serial number of your jeep, date of delivery, etc of you jeep ?

My jeep had only two of the tie downs like you fabricated, the other tie downs were footman loops. The tie downs on my jeep are located one of the rear panel and one forward of the rear handle on the passenger side of the jeep.

Good luck with your project and keep us updated when you can,

Frank
The Fireman
NRG

ajlang
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Good Start

Post by ajlang » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:26 pm

The Fireman wrote:Andy,

You have a good start there. However, the driver' side front bracket is welded to the dash, not bolted. Also when you do the middle support structures, the one on the dash is inset(toward the passenger side), the center and rear supports are in line however. The inset allows the stretcher handle to ride outboard of the bracket.

What is the serial number of your jeep, date of delivery, etc of you jeep ?

My jeep had only two of the tie downs like you fabricated, the other tie downs were footman loops. The tie downs on my jeep are located one of the rear panel and one forward of the rear handle on the passenger side of the jeep.

Good luck with your project and keep us updated when you can,

Frank
Frank,
Thanks for the info. I had talked to Dave Porter some weeks back and he mentioned the same thing. I can still see where the drivers side bracket was welded onto the edge of the dash.
The middle bracket is still in place:
I still have to clean the data plates up - but the serial number is something like 174769? DoD 1-??-44. Its a GPW with an ACM 1 style body. I can see the army hood numbers peeking out from under the paint.
I do see forest green paint peeking out here and there as well. No USMC #'s yet. I hope I can recover all the numbers.
The jeep had 3 tie downs down the passenger side, 2 in back and 1 on the drivers side.
The jeep also has the support rod in place. You can make out on the grill where the spare tire hold down was. I can see back behind the hood hinge in the cowl holes for the tire holder hinge.
I was going to PM you in the coming weeks to try to get some help on the missing bits. I have been following your restoration for some time now.
I would appreciate any help or guidance you can give on this project.
Thanks,
Andy Lang
Last edited by ajlang on Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
U.S.M.C. Veteran
U.S.M.C. Veteran

Keep up the good work

Post by The Fireman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:53 am

Andy,

Keep up the good work. Let me know what you need and I would be glad to help you.

Frank
The Fireman
NRG

ajlang
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

On the road again

Post by ajlang » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:11 am

Well after 15 years the ambulance jeep once again moved under its own power. My brother drove, I filmed. Smoked like a beast for the first 1/2 hour or so ... but cleared up a good bit as it warmed up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w4sPO8U ... annel_page
Andy

ajlang
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: USMC Ambulance Jeep Fixtures

Post by ajlang » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:08 pm

With Frank's help - got a little more done on the ambulance jeep.
Now I need to bug him for some litter measurements. Thanks again Frank.
Andy

The Fireman
U.S.M.C. Veteran
U.S.M.C. Veteran

Post by The Fireman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:42 am

Andy,

Glad it all worked out. Looks great ! Keep up the good work !

Frank
The Fireman
NRG

Charlie S.
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Charlie S. » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Andrew,
looks GREAT !!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Congrats,
Charlie
Slat Grill #124991 - March 1942
CJ-2A #114467 - July 1947
Spen Model S 1948

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”