Navy jeep lifting rings

Modifications by service branch
hochkiss
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant
Navy jeep lifting rings

Post by hochkiss » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:55 am

After reviewing numerous threads under "Jeeps used by USMC, USN, USCG", I am understanding that all Willys MB's produced under contract for use by theses services came with both tow hooks and lifting rings. Would like to confirmation specifically with regards to Navy jeeps as many contributors to these threads have stated that their USMC or Navy jeep did not have one or the other or both.
Also, would the lifting rings installed by Willys have been bolted on or riveted?
Thanks!

pgcf
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Navy jeep lifting rings

Post by pgcf » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:56 pm

Only Navy and Marine Factory Contract MB's have the hooks and rings. These were all painted Forest Green by Willys. They also have Dyneto electric wiper motors on the drivers side.

The one exception are the TUGS, these were for the Army, painted OD, and do not have the Dyneto wiper.

The rings and hooks were bolted on at the factory by Willys. The front bolt of the hooks replaces the rivet of the upper bumper gussets and the bolts on the rear rings replace the rivets own the rear cross member.

The Navy Factory Contract MB jeeps are the radio jeeps. The Marines had both standard jeeps (NOM's) as well as radio jeeps.

The Marines and Navy also had plenty of jeeps that were built to QMC and ORD Specs, these never had the hooks and rings. They left the factory in OD paint and were repainted Forest Green, Grey, camouflaged, etc., by the unit.

Ford never built Navy or Maine Contract jeeps but the same applied when it came to repainting them.

Cheers,
Peter

Mike Kelly
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Mike Kelly » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:31 pm

Melbourne, Australia
Attachments
slv81.jpg

pgcf
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by pgcf » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:07 am

Nice picture. The first jeep is not a Marine Contract (NOM) but the rest are.

These look like replacement jeeps for the 1st Division when they arrived in Melbourne in Jan. 1943.

The rubber hood blocks would mean these jeeps were built in the Summer of '42. The wooden hood blocks came into use in the Fall of '42.

Semper Fi,
Peter

The Fireman
U.S.M.C. Veteran
U.S.M.C. Veteran

Post by The Fireman » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:10 am

Hello,

To further confirm what Peter posted.

The matching numbers 43 GPW I restored was originally painted Army OD with Army blue drab letters and numbers on the hood. The jeep was acquired by the Marine Corps sometime prior to the invasion of Iwo Jima and painted USMC green, yellow USMC registration numbers and TAC markings (non yellow) were applied (hand painted).

When I restored the jeep, I painted the jeep Army OD and the original Army blue drab letters and numbers were re-applied to the hood. The jeep was then painted USMC Forest Green with the USMC registration numbers re-applied as well as the TAC markings with the exception of the original TAC markings on the drivers side of the grill under the small BO light. Those markings were taped off and preserved when the USMC paint was reapplied. As far as painting the entire jeep USMC green, it was not. What the paint gun could reach was painted USMC green, what the paint gun could not reach was left Army OD.

Did this apply to all of the GPW jeeps that were acquired by the Marine Corps, I cannot answer that question. Nor could I answer that question of any non - contract Willys jeeps that were acquired by the Marine Corps.

Did not mean to muddy the waters, just wanted to post this to tell of my experience with this jeep and what I found and did during the restoration.

Semper Fi,

Fr
The Fireman
NRG

pgcf
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by pgcf » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:48 am

Frank,

You did not muddy the waters at all, you simply reinforced what I stated with a real example.

I love that jeep, you did its heritage proud and did everything exactly right. You failed to mention that it is now in its proper place in the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico.

Semper Fi,
Peter

The Fireman
U.S.M.C. Veteran
U.S.M.C. Veteran

Post by The Fireman » Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:44 am

Peter,

Thank you for the kind words. The jeep is where it belongs for people to see and contemplate what the jeep represents. When the kids and the grandkids were back east last year, they were able to go to the Museum and view it along with the other displays. One of the docents helped them at the museum and gave them a challenge coin and told them to give it to me. I treasure that coin and have it with me always.

Frank
The Fireman
NRG

pgcf
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by pgcf » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:47 pm

Awesome Frank!

hochkiss
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by hochkiss » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:50 am

Thank-you Peter and Frank. Your input is helping me greatly with my Navy MB restoration!
Stand by for more questions as I move forward with my project! :)
Dale

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:05 pm

Tell us more about your jeep, Dale!
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

hochkiss
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by hochkiss » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:07 pm

Hi Mark,
Sorry for delay in my response.
Am currently restoring a February 45 MB as a Navy Jeep.
I know it was not a part of the Marine Corp contract mentioned in earlier conversations nor was it a radio jeep.
But having a 1st and second cousin serve in the Marine Corps and 2 sons in the Navy, I thought I would recognize their contributions by restoring this MB first as a Marine Corp jeep then as Navy. Hence my questions.
Thanks to all that responded to my inquiries!
Would like more info on the electric windshield wiper mentioned with regards to routing of wiring and control devices, placement of same, etc.
Thanks again!
Dale

Petracek
G-Civilian

Post by Petracek » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:37 pm

I greatly appreciate the approach taken as well. I am starting to work on a '43 GPW and want to paint it out as Naval Construction Battalion (Seabee) jeep. As I have found, there were no rules on how battalions marked their jeeps, but I believe they were painted Marine Corps green. My assumption was that if the paint spray could reach it, it changed colors. If not, it stayed OD green. Nice to hear others believe it worked that was also.

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”