For all of the C-47 Skytrain Enthusiasts.

and other stuff up in the air
D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

For all of the C-47 Skytrain Enthusiasts.

Post by D.R.H. » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:53 pm

Just watched this video by Mark Felton, it managed to warm my heart a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0VqXA_k0HE
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: For all of the C-47 Skytrain Enthusiasts.

Post by David » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:14 pm

Lots on post-war use of the C-47 in Hans Wiesman's book 'The Dakota Hunter - In Search of the Legendary DC-3 on the Last Frontiers'. I can recommend it, it's a great read! I think it's available on Amazon.

SGT Fish
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by SGT Fish » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:28 am

Saw that video as well. The Basler conversions are amazing aircraft and come out of the facility as zero time airframes. Meaning they are considered brand new aircraft even though they are made with WW2 parts.

The one that is used by the Army "training" unit must have been doing some real special "training" when I saw it in Northern Iraq and Syria...

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:25 am

Interesting video. And not all that long.
I have been to Basler Aviation on the north end of Wittman Field at Oshkosh Wi. There was a Tp-47 on the ramp when I was there. Strange looking. You could see the C-47 in it but longer and the long, skinny turbine engine nacelles with the multi-blade props added to the strange look.
I really enjoyed the short segment on Spooky. Or Puff the Magic Dragon. I have seen these in action firsthand. At night, when the mini guns were fired, it looked like laser beams coming out of the dark night sky, until the beam hit the ground. Then the area above the impact area was full of red fireflies. The ricocheting tracer bullets. Not sure about a minigun but on the MM60 I carried, if we used tracer rounds, there was only a tracer round every 5th round. All tracers would burn up the barrel. I always wondered if this was true for a minigun ?
Rumor at the time was, one pass of Spooky over a football field would put a round in every square inch on the field. ??? :shock:
Anyway, the segment showing the minigun installed in the C-47 firing was the first I ever saw one firing up close. That was a whole lot of brass !
Flashbacks.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Return to “Warbirds - Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base”