Collins Nine O Nine Crashes at Bradley

and other stuff up in the air
Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Collins Nine O Nine Crashes at Bradley

Post by Wolfman » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:18 pm

Your post goes into much more detail than I have seen before.
Most interesting.
Looks like poor maintenance, the domino effect I mentioned earlier, and poor choices all came into play.
Thanks for the report.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

clintm20
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by clintm20 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:21 pm

Welcome Mike. I suppose this is on my mind because I still have some questions about the situation. I'm not here to bash the crew anyone can make mistakes or not take the optimal action during an emergency that is human nature. I had been hoping the flight engineer/loadmaster testimony or interview would fill in all the blanks as he was the only member of the crew to survive but it did not. I am curious when he first noticed a problem, for example did the takeoff seem normal and did they usually make a right turn on departure when using this runway? The timing on the gear being lowered bothers me. I've read a lot of accident reports where the guys in the tower seem to really key in on telling someone in this situation not to forget to lower the landing gear. Guy is busy trying to fly the plane he doesn't need to be reminded about the gear. He will get to that when he has the runway made, or not. It's more important just to make it back to the runway so you can flop down in the best place, like not somebody's house.
Green Trucks and High Tides Forever

Diamond T M3 Half-track Serial # M32971 USA 4045956
Autocar M3A1 Half-track Serial # M3A1-47825 USA 4053835
Autocar M16A1 Half-track Serial # M15A1-1945 USA 40150662

whitey1736
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by whitey1736 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:40 am

Thanks for the updates, last I'd checked I didn't find anything...apparently that must have been at least a year ago...time flies. I can say that based on my experience when I flew on the play just several days before, I don't know that the flight engineer/loadmaster would have really offered a lot about what was going on had something happened.

Return to “Warbirds - Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base”