FS: Attributed WW2 770BS B-29 Pilot items (helmet, insignia, gloves)

and other stuff up in the air
AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

FS: Attributed WW2 770BS B-29 Pilot items (helmet, insignia, gloves)

Post by AZ Jeff » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:44 pm

Here are a few items from a WW2 B-29 pilot for your consideration.They were brought back by Waldo K. McGill, a B-29 pilot in the 770th Bomb Squadron, 462nd Bomb Group (the "Hell Birds"), 58th Bomb Wing, 20th AF. The Hell Birds War Book (unit history) can be found online and McGill appears in the 770th roster as well as the group photo of 770th pilots on page 110. The unit flew out of India, China and Tinian. Plenty of additional research potential here...

I have the following pieces to offer:

* AN-H-15 Summer Flight Helmet with ANB-H-1 Avionics + Y cord, Throat Mic, and AN6530 Goggles. Helmet is a size Medium from the Bates Shoe Company (1944 order) in VG+ condition with some corrosion on a few snaps but no rot, rips or serious damage. Stamped "M-1233" in the top. The avionics are VG+ with only some corrosion on the brass plug (easily cleaned). Throat mic has a damage spot to the rubber cord, otherwise VG. Goggles have the usual rubber-to-frame deterioration but still intact. Could stand some adhesive to tighten that bond up. Rubber itself is way above average as these go. Strap is stretched out and will need re-stitching or, better yet, replacement. All hardware is intact. Overall, an above-average set that was "there". $250

*** I have since performed the necessary work on the googles and they came out great.

* Pilot Wings, Air Medal, 462nd DI, 20th AF Patch and AAF Bible. Wings are 2-7/8" (not 3"), pinback and marked "STERLING" (only). Semi-hollowback construction in VG++ condition. Air Medal is in the issue coffin case with ribbon bar (no lapel pin). Unnamed like most and EXC like most. The 462nd DI appears to be theater-made in silver with a Brit-style pinback so I'm guessing Indian-made. Has chips to the blue enamel but VERY cool regardless. It's a copy of the Hell Birds "Malice to Some" squadron patch. Standard US-issue 20th AF patch is in mint condition. Bible is EXC and marked to "W.K. McGill, Clover SC, May 11, 1942" on the inside. Lot for $150

* D-3A Gloves with Wool Inserts. 1945 AAF contract marked/tagged in size Large. Overall condition is VG++/EXC. These are very similar to the A-11 winter flying gloves in appearance. $100 *** SOLD

Prices do not include postage but... if you buy it all, I'll ship for free in the Lower 48. Please PM direct if you're interested. Thanks for looking!

Jeff Q.
AZ

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: FS: Attributed WW2 770BS B-29 Pilot items (helmet, insignia, gloves)

Post by AZ Jeff » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:25 pm

All pieces are SOLD.

Jeff Q.
AZ

Return to “Warbirds - Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base”