HANGAR 1 FLASHBACK

and other stuff up in the air
Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

HANGAR 1 FLASHBACK

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:16 am

Just came back from my daily stop between DOW Field Hangar 1 and the now General Aviation Building.
The General Aviation Building used to be Base Operations Building and the "SAC Weather Shack" prior to the base closing in 1968.
Major "Stinky Stu", Retired SAC Weather Officer, and a former supervisor of mine was the Weather Officer prior to the base closing. We called him "Stinky Stu" because of his couple three hours a day logged on the toilet. One of our informal duties was policing the Vodka nip bottles out of his favorite stall. Stu was never aware with anything current and was the ultimate procrastinator. He and his boss, a WWII B-24 Pilot always would remember where they were on April 12, 1943 but did not recall yesterday or today's schedule. He was proud of the little things that made life easier and would flaunt his unique brainstorms to all including the secretary. One day he told her "I always thought there was another use for these Preparation H Tips", and proudly showed her how he used them on his Bic Pens to replace missing tips.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: HANGAR 1 FLASHBACK

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:14 pm

More "Stinky Stu" Major, USAF Retired.
Stu was out in the structures lab trying to drill a hole in a special concrete test sample, I could hear him drilling and drilling and drilling on something that normally took only a couple minutes, after about 20 minutes I went out to check. He had the drill running in reverse. :wink: :wink:
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:42 pm

Another "Stinky Stu" flashback.
Our department head asked for volunteers to paint the downstairs mens room. One of my extra duties was the laboratory purchaser. My boss, the Testing Engineer liked the job. He asked me what the color was, I replied "Bottle Green". :wink:

Hangar 1 visits will be interesting for a day or two, one of the Presidential Jets has been practicing approaches, and a number of transcient support aircraft have been spotted. Two were USMC Ospreys.
President Trump is due to make a visit to a small town factory on Friday. Am sure there will be a lot of excited birdwatchers at the airport.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:06 pm

Two Ospreys painted USMC Gloss plus Air Force One flew over my house, lots of support aircraft in the air also. There must have been 50 Border Patrol trucks parked on BIA property. Just knowing President Trump was in the area made me feel proud to be an American. Back in 55 President Eisenhower visited Dow Field, parked at Hangar 1 and the locals were allowed to wander around "The Columbine" and another Constellation owned by Eastern Air Lines. Security is a lot different now.
I did not go out to Hangar 1 to view the excitement," been there-done that" before.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Hello Joe,

I watched that Maine visit last night on line as I missed it in real time.
I too share your pride in the Presidential visit !
More importantly, President Trump just re-opened up 5000 square miles of fisheries , lobstering, and scalloping areas
to Maine fishermen and lobster men during the visit !!!
Mainers had been shut out of the areas since a former President outlawed
their fishing in the area.
(Note it was mentioned during the meeting that foreign interests were allowed to still fish there).
The Maine seafood people there were very happy, elated, that for the first time ever, a President came to them to offer them any kind of help.
The Maine lobsters are tarriffed by Canada, China, and the EU.
The President said that is going to over with, in short order, and they will be playing on an even keel for once.
They also discussed quick relief for Maine broccoli and blueberry producers that once were number 1, and have been targeted by foreign interests, to America, and Maine's detriment.

It would have been nice to take the President for a ride in your Jeep like you did with General Yeager !!

Best Regards,
Raymond

Return to “Warbirds - Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base”