KOREAN WAR MUSTANGS (And More)

and other stuff up in the air
johnseidts
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: KOREAN WAR MUSTANGS (And More)

Post by johnseidts » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:06 am

Joel,
Thanks for a great post. These are some of my favorite posts of yours. FYI, the headquarters field desks were in the TO&E of all WWII Squadrons. They were used for maintaining the maintenance records and all the other paperwork for requisitioning and maintaining spare parts and consumables.
John K. Seidts RN:
Wanted to Buy any aircraft parts or aviation items
Wanted- WWII US Medical and Engineer Items

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:48 am

Just mentioning DOW field instantly brings it all back like yesterday.
Getting back to the R-4360, DOW had a two or three KC-97 Squadrons from 1955 thru the mid 60's, the Base Engine Shop had a section called "Engine Teardown" that generate a lot of pride in the ability between it's crews remove accessories from R-4360's during engine changes. Johnny Mortiss was in that shop, his gang was called "Teardowns Untouchables". This was around the early 60's. He had a 48 Ford coup and took bets that he could downshift into 1st at 70MPH. He made a few tries starting at 40MPH and when he tried it at 70, the clutch exploded. We coasted all the way It was downgrade) from I-95, off the ramp and back to the shop. Those were the fun days.
The trailer mounted test stand with its' telephone booth sized enclosed control panel really impressed me, I would have loved to have been in it while a the 3500 HP R-4360 was being test run. I'll bet the ground shook.
It's amazing how quiet the KC-97 R-4360 is compared to th C-124 and B-36. A taxiing C-124 makes a noise that sounds like a heard of elephants.
The Korean era jets all have their signature sounds on the ground, from the soft whine of the F-80/T-33 to the Coke Bottle sound of the F-84F.
My favorite sounding WWII aircraft tho is the B-25.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:50 pm

Speaking of the B-25, my Friend M/SGT Donald Libby was a crewchief on a B-25 out of Westover AFB which was dispatched to deliver some parts to either Presque Isle AFB or Limestone AFB (Later Loring AFB) in subzero weather, he advised the pilot to dilute the engine lubricating oil system, the pilot chose not to. and they spent a week getting the engines to start. Minus 20/30F is common way up in Northen Maine where those bases are.
I miss SGT Libby, he was a little guy with a deep voice that I'm sure could be heard over the engines of a B-25. It took me 50 years but finally got my B-25 ride in the Texas Flying Legends B-25 "Bad Betty" at the former Dow AFB. It has to be one of the noisiest reciprocating engine aircraft to fly in and I enjoyed every minute of it.
An NCO stationed at Loring AFB ME owned one of the oldest B-25's. I saw it go over my office on its' way North in the fall of 1971.He kept at the nearby civilian airport in Caribou. He offered me a chance to buy it. The B-25 is now at what is or was the Cradle of Aviation Museum on Long Island, NY There is a long history to this B-25, it was once a hack for Hap Arnold and belonged to Howard Hughes for a number of years.
The Air Force Sgt who owned the B-25 was Jay Hinyub. Jay Hinyub was involved in the Warbird business and died in a warbird crash years later. I believe his dad was a Texas oil man.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:50 am

Anyone remember Jay Hinyub?

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:33 am

Anyone ever know Jay Hinyub?

Return to “Warbirds - Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base”