Scout car timing

Armor, Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
smithtw
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Scout car timing

Post by smithtw » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:50 am

Anyone know best distributor timing for scout car JXD? I can't seem to get ping to go away and it continues to putt on after I turn the ignition off.

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Scout car timing

Post by mdainsd » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:27 am

Well timing wont affect the run-on condition. If timing wont deal with the pinging (spark knock), then I can only think of two things.

One is bad fuel. Is it old? did it get diesel in it there by mistake? (Even a little)

And second is carbon build up on the piston heads and head. This raises compression and provides hot spots that create ignition, that manifests itself as pinging when running and run-on when shut off.

As a young guy, one of my friends worked at a Lincoln/Mercury dealer. This was late 60's early 70's. They were forever getting these land yachts in that were driven by little old ladies who never drove them at much more than a fast idle. They would ping and knock and run on forever when you switched them off. My friend explained the whole carbon buildup senario. Then he showed me how they "fixed" them. He would take the air cleaner off. Start the engine, hold the radiator filling hose (shop water) over the carb inlet. Then simultaneously he would hold the throttle wide open and let it have water at full force. What a mess came out the tailpipes!

I have never done that myself nor would I recommend it, just a story of how they were dealing with it at the time. I imagine that would be a good way to break a piston or bend a rod.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

smithtw
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by smithtw » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:52 pm

Newly rebuilt engine. not even 50 miles on it. newly rebuilt distributor also. New gas as well.

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:42 am

Wow. Dont see how you can get get run on with a brand new engine. You 100% sure about the gas?
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

smithtw
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by smithtw » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:56 pm

Engine runs. It starts to screach a bit under load and runs on after switch turns off. I'm told its a timing issue. can't seem to get timing to correct setting. also I put lead additive in with each new fill up.

matheu29
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by matheu29 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:09 pm

Yup sounds like timing , you grab the rotor button see if it moves. Check that the little spring is there on the rotor button that will cause your timing to wander. An engine that has far advanced timing can cause parts in combustion chamber to glow red this will detonate your fuel with key off.

RCASSIN
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by RCASSIN » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:07 am

I had a timing issue and running after you turned her off. I replace the ignition with electronics, electronic ignition, and she is running like new now.
2000 USMC Kawasaki KLR 650
42 WLA Harley
41 600 Zundapp
41 M-20 BSA
76 Condor
42 Diamond T Halftrack
42 Scout car

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:55 pm

You could swap gas for aviation 100 Low Lead and see if that fixes the pinging. Or race gas. That would be interesting but might be too expensive to keep running that gas.

I was laughing about the water de-carboning treatment. I have heard of that. Steam cleaning. If the rods bend the carbon becomes the least of their problem.

There is a chemical de-carbon service that some shops do. A fix, not preventive maintenance. I won't go into it here because it's not the OPs problem.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Seff
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Seff » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:30 am

I would be amazed in a 5.x:1 compression engine needs 100 octane.

Root
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Root » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:14 am

I had the same problem with a recent Scout Car purchase. It pinged on acceleration and when climbing hills. Even Octane booster and new plugs did not help. The timing hole in the bell crank was hard to find even to get to with a timing light. I rotated the distributor and notice an immediate improvement at idle. I took it for a test run and wow it no longer pings and it accelerates much better. Mine is now either a little late (after TDC - retarded) or right on the money. It is any easy adjustment but CAUTION small movements can make a huge difference in performance and too much retarding or advancing the spark could damage your engine. Image
Attachments
SC Timing Hole.jpg
SC distributor.jpg

Return to “Armor”