M8 Restoration

Armor, Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
ourtankproject
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

M8 Restoration

Post by ourtankproject » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:56 am

Hi! My family and I recently took delivery of an M8 Greyhound, which we intend to restore. It's missing a lot of pieces, some things don't function properly, and we will have a lot of work to do.

We could certainly use some feedback on this project as we are learning a lot about our vehicle and will soon be searching for parts. Does anyone have any good resources for information about the M8 (I already have manuals for the vehicle and engine) or where we might acquire some of the things that we will need to bring our Greyhound back to life? Sourcing needed parts is really one of the biggest questions I have.

Specific question I'd love to answer, does any one know where I can go to get the history of the vehicle using the serial number?

We will be documenting the restoration on YT if anyone would like to follow along. We will certainly need a lot of help with this 17000 pound project. Here is a video of the delivery of our M8: https://youtu.be/UcDs8T0k_QM
image_50458625 small.jpg

clintm20
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: M8 Restoration

Post by clintm20 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:06 am

I saw that for sale recently on 'Bring a Trailer'. As I recall it's missing all the hard to find stuff. David Yamulla in Pennsylvania has some M8 parts, his company is MV Supply. Unfortunately there is no way to tell the vehicle history from the serial number the army did not keep those kinds of records for the most part. It is a late war M8 so probably didn't see service during the war years outside conus. There is a thread on here of someone who restored one that was cut in pieces and he might know of some parts sources it was great fun watching his progress. Looking forward to your youtube content. Best of luck with the project.
Green Trucks and High Tides Forever

Diamond T M3 Half-track Serial # M32971 USA 4045956
Autocar M3A1 Half-track Serial # M3A1-47825 USA 4053835
Autocar M16A1 Half-track Serial # M15A1-1945 USA 40150662

ourtankproject
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by ourtankproject » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:26 am

I know on BaT they said it was a late war M8, but I don't believe the serial number matches up with that assumption. Plus I've read, that often before transferring them to other Armies they were modified to most recent production spec (hence the side compartments, box mounting points on the front, and the two antenna). That is just an assumption though. As when you look in the side compartments you can actually see the mine mounts have been cut off. There is also the fact that the story is that it was transferred to the German Army after the war and I feel like there are a few things that align with that narrative.

Somewhat scared to read that you think it is missing all the hard to find stuff. I suppose that will make the adventure more fun.

I will look for that other thread and MV Supply. Thank you!

Corsairone
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Corsairone » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:56 pm

Hi, I would suggest joining "M20&M8 armored car Owners Page G176 G136" on Facebook. Best place to
find parts, contacts and info.

Dave

Corsairone
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Corsairone » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:00 pm

Loved your video. There are production numbers on the M8 front that will allow you to
determine the military vehicle number etc. The parts you need are mainly in Europe. Love your kids.
Dave Etchell

Corsairone
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Corsairone » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:36 pm

I reviewed the numbers on the Bring a trailer website and I believe the production
number of your M8 is 8675 C . This would indicate it was manufactured in Chicago.
From this number you can determine the US Army vehicle number.

Dave

clintm20
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by clintm20 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:47 pm

The hunt for parts is part of the fun. The correct gun and gun mount will be the biggie.
Green Trucks and High Tides Forever

Diamond T M3 Half-track Serial # M32971 USA 4045956
Autocar M3A1 Half-track Serial # M3A1-47825 USA 4053835
Autocar M16A1 Half-track Serial # M15A1-1945 USA 40150662

SGT Fish
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by SGT Fish » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:55 am

Unless the gun was installed by a previous civilian owner, I'd leave it as it is part of the history of the vehicle. Or if you find someone that wants to trade your bofors for the proper 37mm gun (m6?)

ourtankproject
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by ourtankproject » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:57 pm

Dave, thanks for the FB group name. That is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. Trying to find as many sources for both information and parts as I can. I also appreciate the kind words about my kids. They like making the videos far more than I do if it isn't apparent.

I've gotten different response regarding using the serial number to track the history. Forgive my ignorance, but if I had the US Army vehicle number how would that help me? Is there some place I can go with that number to find history of the vehicle?

SGT Fish, I'd like to bring the vehicle back to as original as possible. Still not sure what I'll be doing with the current barrel and mantlet.

SteveM8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by SteveM8 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:07 pm

Just to get the right gun, mount and mantlet is probably close to $30k to get it back to original. Based on what I see, you could easily spend double that to get it back to original specs. Does it have the original engine? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

ourtankproject
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by ourtankproject » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:40 pm

SteveM8, I'm prepared to make it right. I walked into this with open eyes when I purchased it knowing the gun and mantlet were wrong. This is more about making it right for me and enjoying the journey. Yes, it does have the original engine. My next video will be about the engine.

For some reason all my responses need to be approved by moderators so I'm lagging behind on replies.

sawbuck
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by sawbuck » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:21 pm

Here is the thread about the 2 hulls spliced together. Full of very helpful info. I had not realized it has been 8 months since Big D's last update.
He will likely chime in.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=264128

BCA
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by BCA » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:39 am

Drop me a PM and I'll email a long list of M20/M8 parts I have for sale.. Brian

Big D
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Big D » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:10 am

Hi all,

Looks like a nice project. I'm happy to help where I can.

Thanks for the link to my restoration thread Sawbuck. I cannot believe it is 8 months since my last update! I have been working on an M20 and some other projects so have been a bit distracted, but I have done a few jobs on the M8 in that time. I'll start updating that thread again in the next couple of months.
Darryl Lennane
NZ

1943 Willys MB
1941 LP2A MG Carrier
1943 White M3A1 AOP
1942 Willys MBT
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car

ourtankproject
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by ourtankproject » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:15 am

Big D wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:10 am
Hi all,

Looks like a nice project. I'm happy to help where I can.

Thanks for the link to my restoration thread Sawbuck. I cannot believe it is 8 months since my last update! I have been working on an M20 and some other projects so have been a bit distracted, but I have done a few jobs on the M8 in that time. I'll start updating that thread again in the next couple of months.
Before we even purchased our M8 I had read through your thread. What you've done is absolutely incredible. I'm not ashamed to admit, I needed a project M8 that would be much easier to fix up than your project M8.

Return to “Armor”