Ever Seen This On A Scout Car

Armor, Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
judyronM
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Ever Seen This On A Scout Car

Post by judyronM » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:14 pm

Has anyone seen this before? The sprocket setup is mounted on the input shaft of the Transfer Case. It would run all the time when driving, but when you stop you could put the Transfer Case in neutral and you have a power unit with 4 speeds and even a reverse speed. Looks like the sprocket may be size 40 chain, will have to do some approx. measurements with the teeth almost all the way worn down. Thinking it was put on after its life in the military but not sure. Any ideas?

Ron M.
Attachments
20211022_171314.jpeg

RCASSIN
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Ever Seen This On A Scout Car

Post by RCASSIN » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:57 pm

Hi Ron, never seen that.... How are the fan shrouds coming along? Thanks, Rob
2000 USMC Kawasaki KLR 650
42 WLA Harley
41 600 Zundapp
41 M-20 BSA
76 Condor
42 Diamond T Halftrack
42 Scout car

Kim Sievert
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Kim Sievert » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:58 pm

It is a "why get shorter bolts, if the disc disappears, use something to take up the room"
MVCC member since 1983
MVCC Life member since around 1985
MVPA member since 1983
MVPA life member since around 1985

DanoZeman
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by DanoZeman » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:47 pm

judyronM wrote:Has anyone seen this before? The sprocket setup is mounted on the input shaft of the Transfer Case. It would run all the time when driving, but when you stop you could put the Transfer Case in neutral and you have a power unit with 4 speeds and even a reverse speed. Looks like the sprocket may be size 40 chain, will have to do some approx. measurements with the teeth almost all the way worn down. Thinking it was put on after its life in the military but not sure. Any ideas?

Ron M.
I was told by the previous owner there was a pto water pump in the bed it ran due to it being a firefighter brush water truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
United States Army Police Officer 2003-2009
MB 16Apr45 serial #435825

judyronM

Post by judyronM » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:42 am

Thanks Dan, was wondering if that was the case. Makes since for the pump to be running while driving if fighting a brush fire. Putting her back together at the moment to see what I will need to rebuild her. Slow process, if you happen to find the 2 bolt cap that holds the steering box to the frame let me know. Will make one if I need to.

Ron M.

judyronM

Post by judyronM » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:48 am

I have the metal now for the shrouds, hope to have a test sample soon. Getting the edge around the fan blade is my delay at the moment. Originals had a rounded rope edge finish. My prototype will just have a crimped edge so I can get the fit correct. Rope edge will come when I get the rest of the shroud made and fitting correctly. Always best to have a prototype to work out the bugs.

Ron M.

Return to “Armor”