Scout Car cooling flow question

Armor, Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
rogerse
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Scout Car cooling flow question

Post by rogerse » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:22 am

Does the water pump push coolant up from the bottom to the top?

If it does, shouldn’t I be able to take the top radiator hose off when it is running and shoot it out pretty good?

When I flush out the engine with a garden hose it pushes water back through the head to the top radiator hose but the opposite barely comes out.

I have flushed this cooling system out eight ways to Sunday..

The impeller shaft is visibly spinning.

Any thing I am missing here?

My guess there is a ball of crap that gets stuck or something.

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Scout Car cooling flow question

Post by mdainsd » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:02 pm

Yes the water pump draws cooler water from the bottom the radiator and injects it into the blocks water jacket. It goes up the sides of the cylinder walls and into the head. From the head, to the thermostat were it either goes out the top outlet to the radiator or is recycled internal to the engine.

if you are forcing water in with a garden hose or something not much will come out the top return hose, because the water is too cold to open the thermostat.

Have you taken the thermostat housing off and checked the thermostat?
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

rogerse
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Re: Scout Car cooling flow question

Post by rogerse » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:07 am

Thanks for the reply.

If the thermostat resides in the head under the top radiator spout, there was no longer one when I tested it.

If it is in the water pump assembly my question is why would it free flow down but not up?

The radiator doesn’t seem to be the problem because with out the hoses to the engine, it free flows either way.

Any help?

Return to “Armor”