Sheridan Tank Missle Sight for sale

Armor, Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Bryan
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Sheridan Tank Missle Sight for sale

Post by Bryan » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:41 pm

FS I have a strange Sight system, that took me awile to figure out, i guess a sheridan tank had the capability of shooting a missle out of the main gun, this is the coax sight for that system (i think??) part of the system uses a rifle scope, $350 email a # to text pic, Thanks
41 GP 14935
42 MB II6359 Slatgrill
51 CJ3A
43 Kubelwagen
53 M-170
Trailers, Bantam T-3,Converto,M-100
M-416, Ben Hur (Checker)USN MKII

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: Sheridan Tank Missle Sight for sale

Post by dpcd67 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:43 pm

I spent a lot of time on the Sheridan, which is not a tank; it is the Armored Reconnaissance, Airborne Assault Vehicle, M551 (later A1), General Sheridan. It had the rifled 152mm Gun/Launcher on it, as did the M60A2 Tank. It fired the 152mm conventional ammo, which was caseless and came in a rubber bag, which we called an Elephant Rubber. It also fired the wire guided, Shillelagh Missile.
The Sheridan was fun to drive, very fast, and had styrofoam armor and swim vanes with allowed it to swim.
When you fired the main gun, the front two road wheels would jump off the ground, so your eye had to be pressed firmly against the sight rubber eyepiece.
And it was air droppable. We used them after they were replaced, at the NTC as VisMods for Russian T72s.
It has a Gunners Primary and Auxillary Sights. I don't know where a Rifle scope would be on it..
During Desert Shield we put Laser Range finders on them; I was on that project.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: Sheridan Tank Missle Sight for sale

Post by W. Winget » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:00 am

Post a photo of the piece.
The MILES TOW day sight device had a rifle scope inside it as a substitute for expensive (real) optics, and several other Training Aides for systems had Rifle Scopes inserted.
A simple photo will help everyone ID the part for you. Can be done through "Attachments" tab below your text typing space block.

The laser pistols in Star Wars used the short (rifle style) scopes from inside the Armor viewing prisms on tanks such as the M4 Sherman. Mounted backwards atop the pistols...check them out closely next time you see the movie.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Return to “Armor”