Needed:Scout Car Windshield Frame Measurements and Glass Thickness

Armor, Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
rogerse
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Needed:Scout Car Windshield Frame Measurements and Glass Thickness

Post by rogerse » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:12 pm

I did a search but only found the specs on the windshield armor.

I do not need the armor measurements but the windshield glass with metal frames.

I need the measurements and also pointers from some one who have replicated the windshield, if not would someone be willing to measure their original????

I would like to thank those who have responded to all my posts n the past... you guys are most helpful.

Ed

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Needed:Scout Car Windshield Frame Measurements and Glass Thickness

Post by mdainsd » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:16 pm

My originals measure as follows, all measurements outside of frame to outside of frame:

Across the Top 29"
Across the Bottom 28"
11 1/4" Top to bottom

The corners that go towards the center of the vehicle are right angles, the other two, obviously are not right angles. It a right trapezium, how is that for obscure?

I have no good way to measure the glass thickness.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

rogerse
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by rogerse » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:37 am

Thanks mdainsd.

I can figure out the other angle by just laying it out on paper. You have been a great help.

I believe I can purchase commercially made, steel channel which should be close. I can guesstimate the thickness by the wing nut retainers maybe.

I still have the windshield studs and the window seal retaining strips.

Maybe someone could measure the "depth" of the windshield channel or its "thickness". How far does the windshield's glass channel come out from the scout car's windshield frames. I think this could be achieved by putting the measuring device of choice next to it as there appears to be enough space in photos.

I am guessing it is an 1"???

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:53 am

I'll see what I can do tomorrow. The frames arent an inch thick... more like 1/2 to 5/8"?

Mark
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:17 pm

Got some more info for you,

The channel used to make the frame is 1" X 5/8".

If I use the calipers to measure the height frame vrs the glass i get about .15" inch per side. So double that (for both sides) and you get .30".
Subtract it from the 5/8" (.625") and the glass comes out at .325" thick, kind of an odd size?

Hope it helps.

rogerse
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by rogerse » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:46 pm

mdainsd-

Many thanks for the measurements. I always try and do searches before I ask a questions, especially about measurements.

I couldn't find any on these windshield pieces so I ask the professionals.

I get a frustrated when the internet cannot supply the info I seek.

Maybe nobody has tried to make them but I doubt that. These scout cars are a fabrication based project.

I am guessing there are four panes of glass and some sort of window seal making up the remainder.

I believe I will also make the seven retainers as well.

I have only seen one restored scout car in person a couple years ago... I never could track down the owner at the meet. I wanted inside it to measure.

Ed

rogerse
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by rogerse » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:16 am

Just an update on all the help...the photo will show my approach which might help those wanting to get their’s on the road and maybe will repulse other museum purists. Either way, I purchased a 1/16” rubber channel from Bezos to help fund his yacht. I went to Ace hardware to get 3/4” channel to make the frame surround after I get my 1/2” acrylic glass delivered... The rubber retaining strips are original to this scout car.
Attachments
7BAB60E3-781A-43F0-9697-FB74623792D0.jpeg

Return to “Armor”