Looking for Scout Car, front passenger seat/ seat parts/ and or measurements to builds an

Armor, Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
rogerse
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Looking for Scout Car, front passenger seat/ seat parts/ and or measurements to builds an

Post by rogerse » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:31 am

I searched the forum for front, passenger seat spects but found little info on them for sale recently or anyone trying to fabricate one. I know it is different from the driver's seat which I have. I know the passenger seat folds toward the front so it is hinged.

Does anyone have the measurements for this seat less the cushions? Maybe have a spare set of up rights or a junk seat worth selling?

I have all the rear, original seats so I fell pretty lucky.

Any help here?

Thanks,
ED

Big D
G-Captain
G-Captain
Re: Looking for Scout Car, front passenger seat/ seat parts/ and or measurements to builds an

Post by Big D » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:47 am

Hi Ed,

Let me know if this helps. I made these sketches up from measurements a friend gave me of his original seats.
Attachments
Driver seat base.JPG
Last edited by Big D on Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darryl Lennane
NZ

1943 Willys MB
1941 LP2A MG Carrier
1943 White M3A1 AOP
1942 Willys MBT
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car

Big D
G-Captain
G-Captain
Re: Looking for Scout Car, front passenger seat/ seat parts/ and or measurements to builds an

Post by Big D » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:49 am

And another.
Attachments
Driver seat base side pieces.JPG
Darryl Lennane
NZ

1943 Willys MB
1941 LP2A MG Carrier
1943 White M3A1 AOP
1942 Willys MBT

judyronM
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by judyronM » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:55 pm

If the info posted does not help, I have a commander seat I can get more info for you. It is a complete one with the metal back, so be glad to answer any other questions you may have. Especially hole locations for folding arm back and hole location for seat tilt bracket. Just have to watch for the folding mounts for the seat back to come up for sale. That is what I had to do on my last scout car and may need to on the one I just got, it has a driver bottom but the folding arms are broke off. More come up for sale under halftracks than scout cars, some difference in the seat (not much) but folding brackets are the same. From pictures in the manuals the drivers side has a wood backrest on early scouts, you can see the fabric attached on the back side with tacks, but not sure if or when they may have changed that to metal on later Lot numbers.

Ron M.

rogerse
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by rogerse » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:30 am

Thanks a bunch for the drawings an measurements.

Those help greatly.

Any ideas on the back seat up rights anyone????

Thanks,

Ed

rogerse
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by rogerse » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:36 am

Thanks to Ron as well.

I figured (hoped) the back up rights were like halftrack seats.

I will keep my eyes peeled but I will probably give them a shot at fabricating something that hopefully will look close.

The nicest and worst part of a scout car is very few are around and they usually never sit next to one another.

Ed

jesse
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jesse » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:44 pm

Some good pictures of a scout car seat. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=188394&p=1097476&h ... t#p1097476

Big D
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Big D » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:34 pm

Hi Ed,

Here is the seat back drawing. I did not note the hole spacing for the uprights I'm afraid.

I was lucky and got my uprights from Dave Yamulla. He might be worth a try.

Staman in The Netherlands have complete seats, possibly French made, complete with adjusters. They could be worth a go if you get stuck.
Attachments
Scout car seat backs.JPG
Darryl Lennane
NZ

1943 Willys MB
1941 LP2A MG Carrier
1943 White M3A1 AOP
1942 Willys MBT

rogerse
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by rogerse » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:21 am

A Big thanks goes out to Darryl as well.

These scout cars are mysterious creatures.

Ordering the sheet stock today.

Thanks again.

Ed

rogerse
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by rogerse » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:33 am

I have this question now...

In M3A1 Scout Car Walk Around by David Doyle there are two different front seat upper backs.

On page 67 they have a metal back, note lack of visible canvas tacks. On page 35 you can easily make out tacks??

Older vs. Later??

Which is correct? Both versions?

Thanks,

Ed

judyronM

Post by judyronM » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:06 am

Either older verses later production or was a supply change, honestly I would say either would be OK. Do you know the Lot number series your scout is? That might point you in a direction of which to use as of when it came out of production.

Ron M.

Return to “Armor”