White scout car horn and transmission issues

Armor, Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Ozzies67nova
G-Civilian

White scout car horn and transmission issues

Post by Ozzies67nova » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:54 pm

I'm working on a 1942 White scout car for a customer, I'm trying to figure out how the original horn button works. I have some parts but there must be something missing. The horn will work if I ground the wire coming up the middle of the column. I've searched online for any info or picture but I have not found anything to date. Yesterday we finally road tested this scout car after about five miles we could not shift the transmission. Towed it back to shop and pulled shifter off tranny and found 3rd and four gear slider wasn't in neutral position because end of shifter is has been ground away by someone with a big grinder. Anyone have any info on the horn and does anyone have a shifter lever they want to sell. Thanks Keith

RCASSIN
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: White scout car horn and transmission issues

Post by RCASSIN » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:36 pm

http://www.USAdogtags.com
42 WLA Harley
41 600 Zundapp
41 M-20 BSA
76 Condor
42 Diamond T Halftrack
42 Scout car

motto
G-Major
G-Major

Re: White scout car horn and transmission issues

Post by motto » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:18 am

SNL G-67 has a parts break down and a cross sectional view of the horn button. The way it works is that there is a pressed metal disc that is held against the the contact on the end of the cable by a spring, the other end of which is inside the deep metal cup. That metal cup sits inside the horn button and the outer edge is very close to the disc with the three rubber blocks mounted on it. Both the first disc mentioned and the cup are in contact with the spring and are live all the time. When the horn button is pressed the outer edge of the cup contacts the disc with the rubber blocks and completes the circuit by grounding the power coming up the cable.
If you send me your e-mail address I will photograph the illustrations in the SNL and forward them to you.

David

Just noticed your posting date. I'm a little late on the scene.

Cheers

Return to “Armor”