M60A3 tank for sale in London, KY (not mine)

Armor, Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
DoctorCheney223
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

M60A3 tank for sale in London, KY (not mine)

Post by DoctorCheney223 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:53 am

Hey folks,

I know some of you guys have talked to the guys trying to sell the M60A3 in London, KY but please be very aware that it's owned by the government. The VFW has been trying to sell it since Feb '17 and they recently contacted me again about the possible sale. I have confirmed that the M60A3 is 100% under the control of TACOM after recently being told that they were given permission to do as they wish with it. I would love to own it and it's a huge temptation but TACOM definitely knows about it.

Just putting this out there for some of you that are thinking about it that if you do purchase it, be prepared to cover expenses for it's safe return to TACOM. Not trying to be the internet police or tell people how to live but hopefully this reaches somebody who's considering it before they spend the money for all the hassle and headache.

V/R
Ron
Sherman's
Sexton MkII's
M728 CEV
Chieftain Mk10's
M901 APC
M113A2 APC's
M60A1 MBT
T-55 MBT
Leopard 1A5's
T-62's

Austringer
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: M60A3 tank for sale in London, KY (not mine)

Post by Austringer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:37 pm

There is the same thing in Monroe Ga. A M551 Sheridan that a local pawn & gun store liberated from the local American Legion when it was shut down back in 2011. TACOM is aware of this one too but they are broke and don't have the money to really do much, at least what I'm told....

Winder’s American Legion Post 509 has been shut down by the American Legion Department of Georgia. The executive committee took the action June 23, according to a spokesman for District 10, which covers 21 posts in northeast Georgia. Senior vice commander Tommy Hatton of Loganville said he recommended the revocation based on continuing law enforcement problems on Post 509’s property that is east of downtown Winder.
“The Winder post has had a lot of problems with the police department there,” he said Monday.
Two years ago, as the commander of District 10, Hatton recommended the suspension of the post’s charter.
For the full story, see the July 3 issue of the Barrow Journal.

2011 at VFW

2013 no longer at VFW

2011 at the local pawn store... they have a nice M5 3" ATG (not sure where that one came from) and the Sheridan.

This street view still has the (what appears to be a M5 3" ATG) and the Sheridan with a repaint

As of today:
Jason Green
Atlanta, Ga

STILL NOT associated with the Georgia MVPA 15 years and counting as long as that one guy is president of the club....

1963 Willys M151 (under resto)
1969 M706E1
1983 M106A2

SGT Fish
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by SGT Fish » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:15 am

how much are they asking for the privilege of storing a government piece of armor?

Thanks for the heads up, I'd hate to see someone lose big money on it. Do you have a specific contact to find out if they are still gov't controlled?

I've been thinking of checking all the local VFW's and such to see if I can find any private ones, then if I do arrange for a govt one to take its place and get the old one on the market. But I don't trust ever-changing non-profits to know what's theirs and what isn't after helping out in a museum for years. And these stories just confirm that.

Thanks

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:37 am

One of the small towns I grew up around had a 105 sitting on display in front of American Legion post, chained down to a cement slab. Town also had a National Guard post. Everyone just assumed ( there's that word) that the 105 belonged to the post.
Legion decided to consolidate several of the smaller posts into one centrally located, larger post.
When the small home town post was closed, the National Guard came and took their 105 back.
Now the sight is a Post Office. With a flag on a pole.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:33 am

OMG! I worked at TACOM in Tank Armament for many years, and talked to the sales and donations office frequently. Yes, all that stuff you see parked here and there is Government Property. And a lot of it has been bought and sold, illegally. Problem is that TACOM records are missing some of the old WW2 stuff, so it has been sold by the VFWS, etc. I am not policing this either, but trust me when I say that CID does monitor sites like this. I know this for a fact; worked with them on some stolen tank parts cases.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “Armor”