New to Armor, looking for feedback and to purchase

Armor, Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
adcomp0
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

New to Armor, looking for feedback and to purchase

Post by adcomp0 » Mon May 02, 2022 4:32 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading this forum as a guest for quite some time now as I think about my first armor purchase. I have landed on a few requirements for the particular piece for which I am looking, and hoping to both get some feedback from the experts on here about some options as well as hopefully find some leads for vehicles for purchase in the US as well. So if you have feedback or have something that might fit the requirements below please PM me.

Budget: 50k
My current requirements:
- Wheeled Armor - I am looking for wheeled armor that can be road registered in the US, so not over width (BTR-60 is great but is out unfortunately because of width). I am familiar with big truck maintenace from my LMTV so it seems like wheeled armor would be an easier entry for me than tracked.
- Turret - I would like to have some type of small turret, I like both the turrets on the Seracen and the OT-64, for an example
- Seating for 6+.
- Very good off-road capability - this limits items like the humber pig, at least given what I have read.

Additional "wants"
- Amphibious - not a hard and fast requirement but would be preferable
- Diesel - I have 7 other diesel vehicles, my wife's vehicle is diesel , I have significant diesel storage on site at my home and I would prefer diesel. This limits the Seracen as an option although this is a want not a requirement.
- 6 or more wheels - don't ask me why, yes more complex but it is just something I think is slick!

Currently my top choice that actually meets all the requirements and wants is an OT-64 Skot. Would really like to talk with someone who owns one. Or even better if you have one and are looking to sell, I am interested.

The Seracen is another good option for me it seems, but it misses the diesel and amphibious "wants". Any other options all you experts out there can think of?

Kim Sievert
G-Captain
G-Captain

Re: New to Armor, looking for feedback and to purchase

Post by Kim Sievert » Mon May 02, 2022 5:54 pm

Stay with some vehicle, that is American made.
Buy the best you can, afford.
Armor upkeep, generally needs a forklift.
Buy something wheeled or halftracked. (Full tracked without with rubber pads, are mostly an offroad vehicle, if you plan parades with it)
You look overseas, for armor to import. (and wait for months, for the armor to clear customs)
$50k will buy you a restored M3A1 Scout Car or restored halftrack, located in the USA
$50 will buy you a running British Ferret. (small, agile, gas engined, wheeled, lots of them in the USA, semi-automatic transmission and it has a manual turret)
MVCC member since 1983
MVCC Life member since around 1985
MVPA member since 1983
MVPA life member since around 1985

Dawgman
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Dawgman » Mon May 02, 2022 8:25 pm

M3a1 Scout Car! Thats what i have!
12-12-41 slat MB
Midland/Willys frame script GPW 9xxx
No’s match 4-42 script GPW
No’s match 10-44 GPW
Dead MB plow
45 MB 8-21-45 restored
1943 M3a1 WSC
MVPA 7xxx

adcomp0
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by adcomp0 » Wed May 04, 2022 11:43 am

Thanks for the replies - I have been checking out the Ferret more and more, that does seem like a solid option. It does not check all the boxes but is certainly a good entry to Armor. One thing that I can't quite determine is if the Ferret is actually amphibious. It looks like the early models were nominally amphibious, and one or two later models had improved amphibious capability, but for example it is unclear to me from internet research if the MK2/3 is actually amphibious?

Any other vehicles I should look at or anyone else have anything that is currently for sale that is wheeled and interesting for a first time collector?

Thanks!

Austringer
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Austringer » Sun May 08, 2022 2:48 pm

Go with the best go M706 / V100 Commando.

Jason
Jason Green
Atlanta, Ga

STILL NOT associated with the Georgia MVPA 15 years and counting as long as that one guy is president of the club....

1963 Willys M151 (under resto)
1969 M706E1
1983 M106A2

adcomp0
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by adcomp0 » Mon May 09, 2022 5:43 am

Austringer wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 2:48 pm

Jason
I was not familiar with the M706, but just did some research on it and it looks just about ideal for what I am searching for. Jason I see you are also in Atlanta, any chance you are looking to sell yours or have a lead on someone who is?😁

bharr45
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by bharr45 » Mon May 09, 2022 6:40 am

Please check out a Ferret in person before buying. I'm 5'10 and had trouble getting in and out plus poor visibility. I went with a scout car and glad I did. Yes, V100 would be very cool also.

adcomp0
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by adcomp0 » Mon May 09, 2022 3:24 pm

bharr45 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 6:40 am
Please check out a Ferret in person before buying. I'm 5'10 and had trouble getting in and out plus poor visibility. I went with a scout car and glad I did. Yes, V100 would be very cool also.
Good call - I have heard that they are pretty small inside. I am only 5'6" so I suspect I will fit, but plan to try whatever I end up with in person first fir sure. Thanks!

wgtactical
G-Major
G-Major

Post by wgtactical » Tue May 10, 2022 10:14 am

Austringer wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 2:48 pm

Jason
If $50k buys yours, I'll take it, sight unseen...
http://www.youtube.com/OSMWI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.osmwi.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M114 Modified, turret, VORTEC
M114 Modified, camo, 5.7 TBI
M114A1E1 FULL Restoration
M715 FULL CUSTOM
M548A1
V-100 FULL CUSTOM

GCSO M114 SWAT
GCSO LAV-150 SWAT
SCSO LAV-150 SWAT
CCPD LAV-300 SWAT

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Thu May 12, 2022 10:11 am

adcomp0 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:43 am
Thanks for the replies - I have been checking out the Ferret more and more, that does seem like a solid option. It does not check all the boxes but is certainly a good entry to Armor. One thing that I can't quite determine is if the Ferret is actually amphibious. It looks like the early models were nominally amphibious, and one or two later models had improved amphibious capability, but for example it is unclear to me from internet research if the MK2/3 is actually amphibious?
A Ferret is amphibious to the extent that with enough entry speed it will take you out to your sinking point. Ditto a M20 Armored Utility Car like I had by the way. I recommend you consider a M20 but you'd probably have to spend more than 50K. Important to buy one as complete as possible because some of the parts are rare. You can cruise at up to 50 mph and can squeeze 7 in it if they are all friends. Five is better. No turret though, but it has a .50 and a bazooka. Like I told Jon Heyworth many years ago when we were discussing which is better - M20 or M8, the formula is 2.36" > 37mm.

I am 6'1" and when I drove a turreted Ferret was around 205 pounds and I got in and out of it. They have a lot going for them but I don't know about parts availability.

Double the money and look at the V100 army model with turret.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Austringer
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Austringer » Thu May 12, 2022 7:13 pm

Mine is not for sale. It's waiting restoration with another one not too far from here. If you want to see 3 v100s in the same spot, let me know and I'll see about getting you over to the location.

Best.
Jason Green
Atlanta, Ga

STILL NOT associated with the Georgia MVPA 15 years and counting as long as that one guy is president of the club....

1963 Willys M151 (under resto)
1969 M706E1
1983 M106A2

adcomp0
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by adcomp0 » Sun May 15, 2022 9:57 pm

John Neuenburg wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:11 am
adcomp0 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:43 am
A Ferret is amphibious to the extent that with enough entry speed it will take you out to your sinking point. Ditto a M20 Armored Utility Car like I had by the way. I recommend you consider a M20 but you'd probably have to spend more than 50K. Important to buy one as complete as possible because some of the parts are rare. You can cruise at up to 50 mph and can squeeze 7 in it if they are all friends. Five is better. No turret though, but it has a .50 and a bazooka. Like I told Jon Heyworth many years ago when we were discussing which is better - M20 or M8, the formula is 2.36" > 37mm.

I am 6'1" and when I drove a turreted Ferret was around 205 pounds and I got in and out of it. They have a lot going for them but I don't know about parts availability.

Double the money and look at the V100 army model with turret.
Thanks John, it does seem like domestically the V100 is a good choice. Seems like the ferret is too small for what I am looking for. I am actually in the UK now to look at a few vehicles in person, hopefully it will help with the decision! I was able to see an M20 in VT earlier this year, also a cool vehicle and a potential option. Seems like in Armor I just need to raise my budget!

adcomp0
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by adcomp0 » Sun May 15, 2022 10:02 pm

Austringer wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 7:13 pm
Mine is not for sale. It's waiting restoration with another one not too far from here. If you want to see 3 v100s in the same spot, let me know and I'll see about getting you over to the location.

Best.
Definitely. If I can see 3 V100s nearby I wont pass up that opportunity! Just sent you a PM.

Dawgman
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Dawgman » Sat May 21, 2022 2:20 pm

Why not a US haftrack? Its an historic WW2 armored vehichle with a winch, tracks in the back and alot of cool factor. Parts are generally not too hard to find and armor panels etc are currently being reproduced.
12-12-41 slat MB
Midland/Willys frame script GPW 9xxx
No’s match 4-42 script GPW
No’s match 10-44 GPW
Dead MB plow
45 MB 8-21-45 restored
1943 M3a1 WSC
MVPA 7xxx

adcomp0
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by adcomp0 » Sun May 22, 2022 5:02 pm

Dawgman wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:20 pm
Why not a US haftrack? Its an historic WW2 armored vehichle with a winch, tracks in the back and alot of cool factor. Parts are generally not too hard to find and armor panels etc are currently being reproduced.
Dawgman, I do really like halftracks, my main worry was about how far i can drive them in the road. I may just be totally mistaken, but I would be concerned to take a halftrack out for a 100 mile round trip drive up to the N. Georgia mountains for example as opposed to a fully wheeled vehicle. That is really the main reason im looking for wheeled as opposed to tracked. I really do want to use it on-road fairly frequently (1-2 times a month likely), and much of that will necessarily be on pavement simply because of where I live.

I ended up flying over to UK last week to look at a few vehicles (saracens, restored OT64, ferrets, armored pinzgauers lots of tracked vehicles like cvrt and fv432 variants and others), got a lot of info and was able to see some very slick vehicles! I decided against a seracen, the ferret is definitely too small, but the pinzgauer and OT64 both caught my fancy. I liked the OT64 size, and the Tatra drivetrain, but disliked the mid-engine design. Still thinking through options and hopefully checking out a v100 (not for sale, just to compare) soon.

Return to “Armor”