M60 Tank transmission oil question

Armor, Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Hectomax
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
M60 Tank transmission oil question

Post by Hectomax » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:54 am

Hello everyone,

I am currently replacing the oil in our M60A1 tank.
It has the Allison CD-850-6A transmission.

My question is what equivalent can I use besides the MIL spec oil? I don't mind buying what the manual says to use, but just figured I would ask here first and see what thoughts were in using something different. NAPA carries TO-4 SAE 30 transmission oil recommended for Allison transmissions that is also used by CAT that we want to put in.

Current operation is once a year during a July 4th parade of about 2 miles. We are thinking of running in weekly in the summer for guests of our museum I work for.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Hector
NMMV

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: M60 Tank transmission oil question

Post by W. Winget » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:23 pm

Hector:
Not that I have an M60 transmission (anymore), If you use an oil that is "compatible" with what is currently present, then you are good to go.
If you are going to change 'types' of oil, then drain the old oil completely before filling with the new 'type' of oil.
Now the manual covers it, but I can bet there's somewhere around 10 gallons of oil as a minimum in there...
And if it's only being used once a year, not exposed to engine combustion byproducts like an engines oil would, then ONCE in maybe 10 to 15 years would likely be a fine plan for draining and refilling, with checking for condensation on a dipstick or filler cap once in a while.
All this stated, make certain there are no bronze parts that a sulfur-based oil would eat up just sitting there, this would be my opinion.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: M60 Tank transmission oil question

Post by Wolfman » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:00 am

I assume ( my favorite word ) that you have investigated the type oil you are thinking about using.
Oil manufacturers usually put the different oil manufacturer spec numbers on the oil container that the oil in the can will replace. That includes Mil. Spec. #s.
Or the salesman can look the spec. applications up. ??? Maybe. Not all counter people are equal.
If you can't get a match, don't use the oil...........
Hate to see you burn up your tank transmission.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Return to “Armor”