WTB - Cam Thrust Plate and washer

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW, Wanted jeeps or parts... list your needs.
OldPappy
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

WTB - Cam Thrust Plate and washer

Post by OldPappy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:44 pm

Looking for the cam thrust / retainer plate and thrust washer for a L134 MB or GPW.

Can find the plates and washers for the CJ gear drive engines all over the place, but haven't found same for the chain drive cam engine.

Haven't worked on many of the war time engines, and am not even sure these use a thrust plate since they have that spring plunger in the timing cover, but there are three holes around the cam bore for mounting something.
A.C.Fults
East Tennessee
Shade Tree Mechanic more than 50 years.
None of us are as smart as we pretend to be.

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: WTB - Cam Thrust Plate and washer

Post by Adam » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:22 am

If I remember correctly, there is none, There is a thrust type washer between the gear and cam that sits on the cam end, there is a spring and plunger inside the cam and the plunger on the cover, Bolts just hold the front plate on.

I just took one apart a few weeks ago, plus there is nothing in the parts list.

Adam

parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by parker007 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:56 am

do you have the correct engine mounting plate? the chain drive has round hole no cam plate just a bronze bushing. gear drive has securing plate and is triangle.

OldPappy
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by OldPappy » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:46 am

When I bought the engine it had the wrong front plate from a M38, and a chain drive timing cover.

I sold this engine about a week ago with the correct front plate for a WW2 chain drive engine, and a chain drive timing cover. I noticed it did not have a cam retainer like the gear drive engines I am more familiar with so I wanted to find what the guy who bought it would need.

Like I said, I wasn't sure whether these had a retainer plate, as I thought the spring loaded plunger served that purpose. The three holes around the cam bore had me wondering if something was missing.

After these helpful responses it looks like all he will need is the bronze washer, the plunger and spring, which I see are available at RFJP.com and other suppliers. So, shouldn't be much trouble to get what is needed.
A.C.Fults
East Tennessee
Shade Tree Mechanic more than 50 years.
None of us are as smart as we pretend to be.

Richard Grace
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Richard Grace » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:53 pm

The illustrated parts catalog is your friend.
Richard Grace
Palmetto, Georgia

Return to “MB GPW Wanted”