WARNING: Scammer Has Accessed WTB Board

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW, Wanted jeeps or parts... list your needs.
signsup
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: WARNING: Scammer Has Accessed WTB Board

Post by signsup » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:52 am

I did that on the last one, when he couldn't produce a photo. I mentioned that I'd have a friend stop by and look at it. That story was he was out of town, but the item was packed and ready to be shipped and he had made arraingements to do so while he was out of town.
As the shipping is included in his great price, there is no need for me to pick up and have to pay for shipping with another source.

I might do that again with this "guy" just to see if the story changes. On another scam, when I start to get "off script" they say that someone else is interested and will pay cash unless I sned money within the next few hours. Again, apealing to the greed factor. If it's too good to be true . . .

Still interesting that they are not reading this thread which is posted at the top of the WTB board. I know it's a waste of my time, but I just enjoy stringing them along for a week or two thinking they have this money on the way, and then letting them know they've been played all along.

Do you know which US Government branch is supposed to be policing this type of scam? The US Secret Service. I think they've got other things to do.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
A jeep, a truck, and a trailer

Beers
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Beers » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:40 pm

I say you tell him that you have to pay with a cashier's check. Unfortunately, you have one already made out for $800 from a parts deal that fell through, would he be so kind as to "Moneygram" you back the difference when he sends the part? :D

DHS would normally investigate this stuff (the old U.S. Customs Service), but no one is going to look at a crime for ~$500 that crosses involves international jurisdiction...
1943 MB 213301 DOD 2-22-43

signsup
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by signsup » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:08 am

I have several "official" checks and even some pretty good looking USPS money orders from Criags List scammers sending them to me and then asking for me to wire back the "overage".

Think these scammers are versatile enough to realize when they are, themselves, being scammed?
Robert Brough
Winston, GA

signsup
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by signsup » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:18 am

The proliferation of the Internet has allowed the transition of traditional street crimes to flourish in the anonymity of cyberspace. The borders of a state or a country are no longer boundaries for cyber criminals to reach their victims. As a result of advancements in technology, the Secret Service established the Electronic Crimes Special Agent Program (ECSAP) and a network of Electronic Crimes Task Forces throughout the United States.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA

signsup
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by signsup » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:22 am

Well, I told him I had a fellow G member who lived in the UK and could stop by and pay cash in UK currency and save him a trip and me MoneyGram fees.
Can you believe that he decline?
Robert ! I am sorry but due to previous theft attempt by meeting with a third party I will decline the offer of dealing with a third party.
It's Ok if you are not looking to proceed further as I am in no hurry to sell the mount as well. I can still keep it until someone comes for it. Let me know anyways.

--
Please e-mail me on henrysly21@gmail.com with your wanted part request and I will get back to you Asap. What's your phone number?

Henry McIntosh
United Kingdom.
Odd that he has safety concerns, but will keep the part for pick up by someone else. Obviousely not reading this thread. So my next safari step will be to send him a fake 8 digit MoneyGram reference number and send him on a wild goose chase trying to collect.
Then he'll write me wanting a scan of my receipt as the number I keep giving him is invalid.

Boy, I got to get a life! But, when you can't watch TV, this is a form of entertainment for me while my hands rest up from wet sanding my 42 GPW between coats of paint.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA

signsup
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by signsup » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:35 am

Well, he's not too happy with the fake MoneyGram reference number I gave him. Wait till he get's the fake MoneyGram "scan" I give him. Images are available on Google. Same place he found the images of the part he is "selling". Ironic . . isn't it?
Robert ! My wife just came in and was told there is no record on the reference number you provided. Please provide a scanned copy of your Money Gram payment receipt for proper confirmation as you might have made a mistake on the reference number. I will need a scanned copy of your Money Gram payment receipt. I will take it from there immediately as I hear from you. What's your phone number?

--
The aforementioned parts are available for sale. Please e-mail me on henrysly21@gmail.com with your wanted part request and I will get back to you Asap. What's your phone number?

Henry McIntosh
United Kingdom.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA

signsup
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by signsup » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:30 am

Well, after sending him bogus reference number and bogus scan of MoneyGram receipt, he finally caught on.
Robert, Go look for someone to SCAM and stop wasting my time.

--
The aforementioned parts are available for sale. Please e-mail me on henrysly21@gmail.com with your wanted part request and I will get back to you Asap. What's your phone number?

Henry McIntosh
United Kingdom.
I thanked him for playing and now the rain has let up here in Atlanta, so it's back to painting the GPW.

TO THE WORKSHOP!
Robert Brough
Winston, GA

podski
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by podski » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:26 pm

I just loved reading this thread! It put huge smiles on my face and gave me some satisfaction that at least one low life is paying at least a small price!

I think the next G member he contacts should string him along similarly. Just before it looks like he may wise up, throw him something so tempting that it makes his mouth water and he keeps going. Something that makes $$ signs flash. Maybe something like "Glad to be doing business with you on this. I have a friend that is looking for a {fill in an appropriate large and high value item here - like a tank turret or something}. He has been desperately looking for one to complete his project and since it seems you have so many excellent items we are desparately hoping you have one. If so, what would it take to add that to the deal?" That could open up a whole new round of questions, send pics, gotta work to free up the money (sell some stock, etc.),please arrange for freight shipment and customs (make it a big item), etc. Maybe at the end tell him there seems to be a misunderstanding that you are not legit and give him your number to call (one of those 900 numbers to that will he might call and that will hopefully cost him money). Keeping these dirtbags going on and on and on is one way to hurt them, since I assume for them time is money too.

Gosh I hate these rip-off artists ... and how I loved reading signsup's play by play jerking this guy around :lol: :lol:
signsup wrote:Well, after sending him bogus reference number and bogus scan of MoneyGram receipt, he finally caught on.
]Robert, Go look for someone to SCAM and stop wasting my time.

--

Henry McIntosh
United Kingdom.
I thanked him for playing and now the rain has let up here in Atlanta, so it's back to painting the GPW.

TO THE WORKSHOP!
Ken
1942 GPW

Destructo6
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Destructo6 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:16 pm

When this sort of thing first started happening to me with Craigs List and eBay and, now, with the G, I started looking into how to report this. It turns out to be the Secret Service is responsible and any reports with emails fall on deaf ears. It's just up to the general public to not fall for "to good to be true" scams.
I've reported to, and had success, with the FBI's Internet Fraud Division. Internationally, not so sure.
God gave you a soul.
Your parents, a body.
Your country, a rifle.

Keep all of them clean.

gfos

Post by gfos » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:01 am

Hi All, I think Richard Morgan and Henry McIntosh have a may new name. I just got this in response to my parts wanted ad.

All the aforementioned parts are available for sale. Let me know if you
are still on the look-out for parts. Email with your location and
phone number and we'll go from there.

Regards,

Isaac Brunswick
United Kingdom

It matches the first contact I had with the other two...... FYI

gfos
1942 Willys MB, DOD 4/28/42
1943 USN Autocar U8244T aircraft wrecker #9191
1978 USN GMC 6500 ammunition handling truck

signsup
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by signsup » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:38 pm

Why don't you post "isaac"s email address here and we'll all write him and want to know where our kunootner valves are and confuse the heck out of him/her.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:59 am

Yep, he's phising me also:

The aforementioned parts are available for sale. Let me know if you
are still on the look-out for parts. Email with your location and
phone number and we'll go from there.

Regards,

Isaac Brunswick
United Kingdom
WC4 8668603
MB 111414
GPW 2647
GPW 104111
GPW 108552 (coming soon)
MB 369488
MB 379204

MVPA #13861

podski

Post by podski » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:40 pm

signsup wrote:Why don't you post "isaac"s email address here and we'll all write him and want to know where our kunootner valves are and confuse the heck out of him/her.

kunootner valves!

That's so freakin' funny that I have tears in my eyes right now!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you have a part # for those? :D :D
Ken
1942 GPW

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:47 am

Here's some new e-mails in regards to the mid war GPW fuel tank and generators I am looking for. This same response came in two separate e-mails:

I can help with parts. Let me know what you are looking to purchase
and a phone number to contact you will be great as well.

Cheers,

Phillip McCord
Cardiff United kingdom.

Quote: He is Able to Do All things...
WC4 8668603
MB 111414
GPW 2647
GPW 104111
GPW 108552 (coming soon)
MB 369488
MB 379204

MVPA #13861

Henre
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Henre » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:58 am

Hi All,

This guy just tried to scam me by replying to my wanted ad for a GPW engine in the 'MB GPW Wanted' section, with a picture of a GPW engine from a well-known website..

"
I still have an original complete Ford GPW Engine in excellent shape and condition, ready to plug and play. I'm asking £3,000 GBP and I will be shipping via a relibale courier from this end on a 4 - 5 working days delivery and will accept payment via Bank Transfer only. What's your complete shipping address?
---------
I can help with parts. Let me know what you are looking to purchase and a phone number to contact you will be great as well.

Cheers,

Phillip McCord
Cardiff United kingdom.

Quote: He is Able to Do All things... "
Henre Pretorius
1943 Ford GPW #122756

Return to “MB GPW Wanted”