WARNING: Scammer Has Accessed WTB Board

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW, Wanted jeeps or parts... list your needs.
signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

WARNING: Scammer Has Accessed WTB Board

Post by signsup » Sat May 04, 2013 9:35 am

Just a heads up to those that have posted here.
Posted WTB for small mouth fuel tank. Received direct email for person allegedly in UK with one for wale. Brand new, for hundreds less than current market. Unfortunately, his Paypal was "down" and I needed to send MoneyGram.
I asked for his G ID and he replied that he is not a member. So, I have no idea how he got on the board and got my direct email and is trying to scam someone for a few hundred dollars.
I've been around eBay and Craigs List for a long time and am familiar with the current scams. Here are some generic signals to look for in a possible scam:

Vague response to your ad. No specific mention of the exact item you are selling. Just referred to as "item" or "part"

Item will always be in perfect or new condition. No photos or stock photo.

No phone or web site for "seller". Only email and usually a gmail account. Email address may change during course of contacts. Scammers change email accounts almost daily.

Sellers name will always be John Doe, John Smith, Richard Morgan or some other very common name.

Price will be too good to be true. Not over a few thousand dollars, and now it has reached the point where they are trying for a few hundred.

Payment will be requested to be wire transfer, MoneyGram or Western Union.

You may be asked for your address and a c"check" will be sent. Check is bogus. This is if you are selling an item.

Grammar in communication will be poor. You will usually not be mentioned by name in emails as scammers are running dozens of scams at the same time. It is a numbers game to them. If 1 in 100 fall for it, it is free money to them.

Hope this saves at least one person some time, money and grief.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA
Jeeps, trucks, trailers and Weasels

HMVYoungster
G-Captain
G-Captain

Re: WARNING: Scammer Has Accessed WTB Board

Post by HMVYoungster » Sat May 04, 2013 10:03 am

I have a wanted ad for M170 parts I get at least one every two months for everything I need and will ship for free from the UK :shock: right.......

This is good to have been brought up. Thanks for bringing to all of our attention.
One other thing don't be afraid to as fellow member before you start the deal if any one knows of the seller.
42 White M2A1
41 White Scout Car M3A1
43 Case SI
Cushman model 67
43 CA1
54 M37
02' boy
07' boy
09' boy
11' girl

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Sat May 04, 2013 10:57 am

Yes, I was reluctant to mention an actual name until I felt more comfortable that this was a scam.

One other thing to mention on my "red flag" list is what is happening as we speak . . .

Seller is impatient and makes constant updates on the payment transfer.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

lbj
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by lbj » Sun May 05, 2013 7:15 am

I have experienced this also and found it a bit strange. Here is a message that I received:

It will be a lot better if you send me an e-mail in case you are still in the market for the needed part(s). I can also call if you let me have your cell phone number.

Best Regards,

Richard Morgan.
United Kingdom
Lance

1943 MB 202900 DOD 1-15-43, Reg. #20254065 (recovered)
1943 MB-T DOD 6-1943

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Sun May 05, 2013 8:24 am

That is the exact same email I received. name and all. No reference to the actual part, just vague reference. Next steps will be price and condition which will be low and perfect. Then request for MoneyGram payment.

I'm playing this one out with this guy with false reference number for MoneyGram and get his hopes up, maybe even go and try to get his money. Then I'll play my cards.

When this sort of thing first started happening to me with Craigs List and eBay and, now, with the G, I started looking into how to report this. It turns out to be the Secret Service is responsible and any reports with emails fall on deaf ears. It's just up to the general public to not fall for "to good to be true" scams.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

Boyso
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Boyso » Sun May 05, 2013 10:25 am

Here's the one I received
It will be a lot better if you send me an e-mail incase you are still
in the market for the needed part(s). I can also call if you let me
have your cell phone number.

Best Regards,

Nelly Abraham
United Kingdom
44 GPW 231738 10/23/1944
MVPA #36162

65shelby
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by 65shelby » Mon May 06, 2013 4:47 am

I almost got taken for $50K on a 65 shelby mustang that was a couple of hundred thousands bellow market a few years ago. In the past you could not talk to them on the phone because the number provided was always a fax number but two months ago I found a tractor for sale on ebay for $15K valued at $45K and I did get a phone number I called and left a message and he returned my call and I was shocked but the voice over the phone was altered. I searched under his user name and everything he had for sale was bellow value and the phone numbers were different so I backed away from the deal.

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Mon May 06, 2013 5:01 am

I am used to seeing the scams on Craigs List for land Rovers and Jaguars for 5k to 10k with free shipping from out of the country or the vehicle in in the eBay warehouse and wire money to a eBay manager, etc.

I was extremely disappointed to see a scammer using the G forums for contact information and to go to all the email time and trouble for $200. This scammer probably even did some research to know what price would be attractive on each part that he is scamming.

I sent this guy a false moneygram reference number and he is running around trying to collect.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

Ron Fitzpatrick
OWNER OF g503.com
OWNER OF g503.com

Post by Ron Fitzpatrick » Mon May 06, 2013 2:51 pm

please feel free to contact one of the moderators if you see this... we are doing our best to keep the garbage off the site

Thanks!!
Ron
Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts
800-600-JEEP (5337) or 541-830-3030

http://www.rfjp.com/ = Parts Store

https://catalog.rfjp.com/ = Exploded Diagrams

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/ = Free Photo Hosting

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgnSnF ... h-XBVAK3A/ = Team G503 Video Series

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Mon May 06, 2013 3:22 pm

Ron,
Can certanly do that, but didn't think of it as there was no post by this scammer. He somehow got my direct email (and that of others, it seems) and contacts us directly about our wanted parts. All communication is off site and through our direct email or cell phone. So, I didn't think that you or any of the mods had anything to work with.

I know on eBay when you get an email from antoher member there is a warning from eBay not to repond if the other party is offering to buy or sell "off" eBay. Of course, they want their fees, but it's a nice reminder to watch yourself.

Perhaps a sticky post on the for sale or wanted boards to remind members some "hot button" to watch out for on buying or selling parts.

Your site is great, don't think I would have taken on my 42 GPW frame off restoration without it. And there was nothing that you, your site, or your mods could do to prevent what was attempted. Fortunately no money was ever in play. Only question/concern is how non-member got direct contact information.

I have a feeling that this scammer is a member (for scamming purposes only) but discloses that he is not so no one searches the member directory for clues to his identy. This particular scammer seems to know the value of GPW and MB parts. At least in my case.

Thanks for following up and thanks for making this site available.

TO THE WORKSHOP!!
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

gfos
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by gfos » Tue May 07, 2013 8:49 pm

Hi All, I was contacted also by the same Guy in the UK twice over 3 months. I'm sure he's trolling the parts for sale and wanted sections, and using the email message function to send us the first email from our posts. Always asking for your phone number and email address, even though he just emailed you. Your wish list will be filled, and for an unbelievable low price as long as payment comes by Western Union. It's the same old scam...

Best of luck,

Gfos
1942 Willys MB, DOD 4/28/42
1944 Ford GPW DOD 4/24/44
1943 USN Autocar U8244T aircraft wrecker #9191
1978 USN GMC 6500 ammunition handling truck

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Wed May 08, 2013 5:17 am

I've been sending my guy on a Safari hunt, which is what they call it when you jerk the scammers around with false payment, delay tactics, phoney MoneyGram reference numbers, lame excuses, etc.

At some point in time, they get testy and then they realize that they are bing played. Small satisfaction, but if they get jerked around a few times on this site, maybe they'll go elsewhere.

I'll try to bump this thread up to the top every once in a while and maybe the scammers will see that we have our guard up and move back to Craig's List whre they were born.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Wed May 08, 2013 9:28 am

I guess "Richard" came back to this forum to troll for potential victims and read this thread.
Not too happy.
After playing along for a few days and leading him to believe that I had sent a MoneyGram but we were hving problems with the reference number, he read this thread and sent me the following:

Why don't you just bleep off and stop trying to get people to send you part without making payment for it. I'll see that you are caught by the proper authorities if you don't stop e-mailing me.
His parents must be proud of their offspring's career choice. Remind me to hug my son the next time i see him.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

signsup
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by signsup » Fri May 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Interesting note. I just went to PM a member and hit the email member icon on the profile page. The members email address comes up direct. No "buffer" like Craigs List where al emails go through them and eBay and you never know the direct email.
I hit the email icon and it goes to my email program and the members direct email was at the top of the header.

So I don't know why the scammer is asking for emails address and cell phone number. I think it is a "form" scam email that is sent regardless of it it is here on the G or off Craigs List or another venue.

Just be cautious with dealing with anyone over the internet.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
President, GA MVPA

Adam
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Adam » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:38 am

I'm thinking , "I could be wrong" that there a listing in the for sale for a jeep, 4 combat rims, rebuilt engine, etc for a grand, way underpriced, listed by a new member, second post there is also from a new member, Just curious, as I havent called him, and his pm answer was kinda funny. Anybody ehere call him?

Adam

Return to “MB GPW Wanted”