A5 Mule went for a swim today, now what?

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Rod
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

A5 Mule went for a swim today, now what?

Post by Rod » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:39 pm

A long story for another time, but my A5 rolled off a 4' high bank today and into the river while it was running. Only thing sticking out of the water was the steering wheel and top 4 inches of the seat back. Needless to say, everything filled up with water. I pulled it out of the water and up the bank with the tractor a few minutes ago.

What should I do other than:

1) Immediately pull all plugs and allow all fluids (transmission, both axles housings, crankcase), to drain?
2) Drain air filter cannister
3) Drain gas
4) Pull plugs spark plugs
5) After everything drained, replace all filters (oil, gas, air)
6) Replace Fuilds
7) Turn over without plugs to expell water from cylinders?

Suggestions welcome.
I want to live life, til the day I die.

One Big Ass Mistake America

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:53 am

Rod - After we talked on the phone, the more I think about it, if the engine was just idling, it probably didn't hurt the rods. I don't think that 2-cylinder has enough horsepower to bend a rod or anything. You just need to drain & flush everything like we talked about. The starter and the magneto are probably going to be the hardest thing to dry out. The starter is no problem to get off, as you know, but the mag is a little harder. Once you get the engine where it will turn over, see if you have any fire at the plugs. If not, you're probably going to have to pull it off and open it up to dry it out. It's not too bad of a job, except you have to pull the governor. Let me know and I'll come over and give you a hand.
By the way, does your wife have a really good hair dryer?
North Alabama

softskin_driver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by softskin_driver » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:57 am

I know how that felt. A year ago I drove my GPW into a creek that was 10 inches deep (I thought) and learned a lesson the hard way when I found a 5 foot deep pool at the edge on the far bank on the way out. It took a M715 to pull my sunken jeep out.
I opened all the gear boxes and took the top off the transmission to spray it out with brake cleaner.I had never seen what happens to hot oil when it mixes with water. My whole drive train and motor was full of this whitish goo.
I do not think I will do that again. It took me a lot of work to get rid of that white goo.
Sorry to here this happened. I have never worked on mule hope it opens up easy. Remember WD40 is a water dispercent.

good luck
Dave Ball
MVCC, President, Editor
MVPA 9377
http://www.mvccnews.net
1942 USA Dodge WC-24
1942 USN Dodge WC-56

Rod
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Rod » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:27 pm

Well, the mule lives again... I drove it tonight.

Here's what I did after I got the mule out of the water -

>Pulled plugs and drained: Crankcase, transmission, four drop down axle hubs, front & rear axle, frame tubes, gas tank.

>Removed gas, oil & air filters.

>Pulled sparkplugs

>Removed Starter

>Sprayed WD40 & Kroil in sparkplug holes.

>Let drain 48 hours

>Dried starter and re-installed.

>Filled crankcase with diesel fuel and turned over about 3-5 minutes with electric starter to flush out the crankcase. Also check to make sure that I was getting firing at the end of the plug wires.

>Drained Crankcase and filled with oil.

>Installed new gas, air & oil filter

>Added fresh gas

>Filled transmission, four drop down axle hubs, front & rear axle with diesel fuel.

>Re-installed sparkplugs and started engine. Drove mule around for 2-3 minutes to flush out transmission, four drop down axle hubs, front & rear axle.

>Pulled plugs to let transmission, four drop down axle hubs, front & rear axle drain.

>Tomorrow, I will install plugs and fill transmission, four drop down axle hubs, front & rear axle with gear oil.

>Will grease all fitting with grease gun.

>Over the next week or so I will drive mule to check it out and make sure there are no problems.

At this point the mule does not appear to have any problems from its swim in the river. I was lucky.

I want to thank my buddy Chuck W for the advice he has given me over the last couple of days to get me thru this process. I had a good game plan to "dry" the mule out but needed Chuck's expertise to make sure I was covering all the bases.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:09 am

I think I see a special award comming at Tannehill to commemorate your April Fool's Day amphibious assalt on Choccolocco Creek!
North Alabama

Rod
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Rod » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:32 am

Crap !! I forgot about it being April fools day. Man what a joke. I don't want to go thru that again.

Return to “Mule M274”