Mule engines

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Mule engines

Post by W. Winget » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:23 am

Can someone assist me before I screw up.
Have an opportunity to get a 4 Cly 32CI air-cooled military teledyne model 4A032-4 NSN 2805-01-276-5946 which is typically used in the 3KW generators and some other applications. (pulley start) (Coleman's and Saturn sell these new right now)

Will this fit a MULE (with parts off the orginal perhaps), or will this only be a Generator engine I can't use for the Mule down the line.

What 'IS" the correct motor I should be seeking should I ever need one for the Mule (which I also want down the line)
Thanks
W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:25 am

No, that engine won't work in the mule, don't waste your money. The early 4 cylinder mules used a Willys built engine, which was an oddball engine, hard to find parts for now, and expensive to build. Later 2-cylinder mules used the 2AO42 engine, which is also a generator engine, problem is, you can only use the "long block" from the generator engine, you still need a mule engine to strip the oil pan, baffel, front cover, bell housing, blower, shrouds, oil lines, governor, intake & exhaust, flywheel, pullys, etc. The only only thing that is the same is the fuel pump. The AO42 generator engine is good for a spare if you already have a running mule, or at least one with a complete 2-cylinder engine in it. There's also a difference in the bed height between the 4-cylinder mules and the 2-cylinder models, if you are changing out and old 4-cylinder for a later 2-cylinder, you have to add spacer blocks to raise the bed up to give clearance for the 2-cylender engine.
Last edited by Chuck W. on Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
North Alabama

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Long Block

Post by W. Winget » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:36 am

So the teledyne 4Cly would not even be good for a Longblock swap out?
If I'm understanding correctly.
Is there ANY possible use for these engines if they are modified or an adaptor made for the Mule as mule motors dry up?

Appreciate the caution on not wasting the time, but I may get one for $200 brand new, so I really don't want to miss a potential use for her down the line even if it's just the long block. (if it can be used for that....please confirm...)

Thanks for the clarification.
Winget

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:58 am

Well, I guess it's possible to put a V12 in a Yugo.............. but as far as a bolt-in replacement for the mule....no, the 4 cylinder 4AO32 just won't work. I understand that it makes a nice ultralight airplane engine, though. There are still plenty of the 2AO42 engines around, I know Saturn Surplus has them for $650., if you are thinking about buying a mule down the road, spend the money and pick-up an AO42 engine now and stick it back. At one time, David Kelone was offering new 2AO42 engines with all the non-mule parts already removed for around $450., I put one in my A2 and it runs great.
North Alabama

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Thanks Chuck

Post by W. Winget » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:02 am

Appreciate it.
Will consider buying the Cheap 4 Cyl for use in my Toro Lawn mower as the deisel in it is dead and it merely drives the hydraulic pump for operation.
Likely not an easy swap, but it will be lighter than the original (no radiator system) and I can easily find the parts VS the Mitsubishi troublesome thing in there now.

Thanks again for steering me in the right direction and saving me some $$$
regards
W Winget

Austringer
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Austringer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:07 pm

I have to disagree with you about the mule engine parts, they are pretty easy to find and are not all that expensive. I rebuilt my first series engine for about 250 with mostly new parts.

I do have a spare second series engine that I might be will int part with if you need it.

PM me if interested.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Thanks

Post by W. Winget » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:53 pm

Don't have a mule yet to need the engine, this was a local guy, but I now know I don't have to get a good deal on everything just because it's cheap. I have a 5K generator already sitting in the shop for use if it was the option, so I can save the $$$ for now.
Thanks again
W Winget

Return to “Mule M274”